Junior Gearing Front DR Question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Junior Gearing Front DR Question

All. So I did some digging on this to no avail. I am trying to find out if someone makes a front BRAZE on Dr. that will work with smaller chainrings to try and accomplish Jr. gearing help out of the front chainrings. Here is our setup.

My son is on a Specialized Allez Sprint with a welded braze on mount. He is running a 36/50 front Chainring setup. Right now his Dr is a braze on Tiagra that is working but the spacing is simply way off and it is not working properly. Believe it or not, I drilled and tapped a new mounting hole in the Dr. It is way better but simply not right.

Can someone recommend a front Dr. for a welded Braze on that does in fact have the reach. Thinking a triple might be my only alternative but even then I have concerns about the top end. Thanks.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    50/36? Or smaller than that...you're not clear what rings you want to use. Any front derailleur should work, if it doesn't it's the location of the braze-on mount not the derailleur that's the problem.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    CXwrench. You are correct about the location of the braze-on. That is absolutely the issue. this frame was welded for a 53. That said, I know Wickworks makes an adaptor for this very issue, but it is pricy.

I'm sure it's very well made...if Mark will use their chainrings on Katie Compton's bikes they must be good.

Russian Troll Farmer
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmabus View Post
    All. So I did some digging on this to no avail. I am trying to find out if someone makes a front BRAZE on Dr. that will work with smaller chainrings to try and accomplish Jr. gearing help out of the front chainrings. Here is our setup.

My son is on a Specialized Allez Sprint with a welded braze on mount. He is running a 36/50 front Chainring setup. Right now his Dr is a braze on Tiagra that is working but the spacing is simply way off and it is not working properly. Believe it or not, I drilled and tapped a new mounting hole in the Dr. It is way better but simply not right.

Can someone recommend a front Dr. for a welded Braze on that does in fact have the reach. Thinking a triple might be my only alternative but even then I have concerns about the top end. Thanks.
    What happened to 14-28 freewheels? Put the 52-39 back on and get a junior rear cluster, 14-25, 14-27, 28. Your son will thank you!

Junor gearing is limited to 52-14 or 97.57 gear inches. 50-13 is 101.25 gear inches, too high. The next lower gear would be 50-14, a puny 93.89 gear inches. Be nice to your son. Give him the full monty, 52-14. He's got plenty of gears left to perfect his spin.

50-11 is a whopping 119.66 gear inches. That's insane. He'll never use the 11 or 12. If he uses the 50-13, he'll be cheating by 4 gear inches. Give him what he needs.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Why are you posting this? It doesn't have anything to do w/ what the OP needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    What happened to 14-28 freewheels? Put the 52-39 back on and get a junior rear cluster, 14-25, 14-27, 28. Your son will thank you!

Junor gearing is limited to 52-14 or 97.57 gear inches. 50-13 is 101.25 gear inches, too high. The next lower gear would be 50-14, a puny 93.89 gear inches. Be nice to your son. Give him the full monty, 52-14. He's got plenty of gears left to perfect his spin.

50-11 is a whopping 119.66 gear inches. That's insane. He'll never use the 11 or 12. If he uses the 50-13, he'll be cheating by 4 gear inches. Give him what he needs.
    You suck at math.

52/14=100.28
    50/13=103.84
    50/14=96.42
    50/11=122.72

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Why are you posting this? It doesn't have anything to do w/ what the OP needs to do.

You suck at math.

52/14=100.28
    50/13=103.84
    50/14=96.42
    50/11=122.72
    I entered 700 x 23 tires at BikeCalc.com!

The relationships are the same. The kid will still covet a 52 if he's competitive. And the 14 cog still stands as the highest gear a junior is allowed to race on. 50/13 is too high. He'll get his leg speeds up great on 52/14. Ask me how I know!

Junior then only has to switch freewheels when he goes Cat. IV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why are you posting this?
    The bike was set up for 53-52 t. chainrings. Can't believe the braze-on hanger is mounted too high for the derailleur to reach a 50 t. ring. But if it is, rather than trying to jury rig the front derailleur hanger, the alternative would be a 14-25 to 28 rear cog cluster. Problem solved.

This is entirely relevant to the discussion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sugino also makes an adapter, but I don't know how the price compares to the Wickwerks.

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/produ...html#pnH4MT-OX
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    You suck at math.

52/14=100.28
    50/13=103.84
    50/14=96.42
    50/11=122.72
    Those values are for a 27 inch wheel. A 700c wheel has a smaller diameter and probably results in the values given by Bikecalc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

You suck at math.

52/14=100.28
    50/13=103.84
    50/14=96.42
    50/11=122.72
    For a 700c 23mm tire, those numbers are about 2.85 % high. Not sure if the officials take tire size into account. I've seen them do rollouts, but that was many years ago. Back then I heard stories about kids getting in trouble if they had fatter tires and were pushing very close to the rollout limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    The bike was set up for 53-52 t. chainrings. Can't believe the braze-on hanger is mounted too high for the derailleur to reach a 50 t. ring. But if it is, rather than trying to jury rig the front derailleur hanger, the alternative would be a 14-25 to 28 rear cog cluster. Problem solved.

This is entirely relevant to the discussion.
    No, I wasn't quoting you at that point, I was talking about the link that NTT posted for the 3* SRAM front derailleur shim. And there are plenty of bikes out there that have the front derailleur braze-on mount too high to work properly w/ a 50.

As for gear inches the method that's been used forever for both road and track gearing is (chainring) x 27 by (cog)...so 50 x 27 15 = 90. Everyone that races on the track knows that 50/15 is a 90 inch gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmabus View Post
    CXwrench. You are correct about the location of the braze-on. That is absolutely the issue. this frame was welded for a 53. That said, I know Wickworks makes an adaptor for this very issue, but it is pricy.
    I just saw this, IRD has an adapter for $30 which isn't as pricey as the WickWerks or the Sugino I posted earlier.

https://store.interlocracing.com/irddedrad.html
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Dr = doctor

derailleur = derailleur
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Those values are for a 27 inch wheel. A 700c wheel has a smaller diameter and probably results in the values given by Bikecalc.
    Close enough for World Cup track racers...on bikecalc.com 50/15 w/ a 23mm tire is 87.xx, every track racer in the world knows that 50/15 is a 90" gear.

Banned forever.....or not
    Not sure if they still do rollouts, or if they just count the teeth? If they do rollouts, a 52x14 might work with a 23mm tire (or better yet a 22mm tubular). If they don't do rollouts, do they still allow "blocked" gears in non-national events??
    Just checked, and it looks like rollouts are still used.....Junior rollout is 26 feet. (7.93m)
    A 23mm tire should work.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!