Just installed new SRAM RIVAL Cranks - normal to be sticky as heck?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Just installed new SRAM RIVAL Cranks - normal to be sticky as heck?

Just building up my new Serotta Fierte frameset. Doing a rival crankset.

I'm really not thrilled with the external bearing thing thus far. The BB was faced plus it's a serotta so BB shell alignment should be OK.

Used a torque wrench etc. The BB is really sticky, and almost binds down in one spot each time. There is no method for preload on these so, I'm sure hoping that the spindle, BB, and crank arm is aligned properly and that this will free up a bit.

Does this sound normal for a new SRAM crankset install? I've got XTR on my MTB and it was a bit sticky, but not like this thing.

Thanks.

What was the matter with Octalink BB's anyways...

Moderatus Puisne
    Yeah, it's normal. What you feel is just seal drag -- it doesn't affect much while you're riding.

Oh, and direct from SRAM: if you used a torque wrench to install your crank, there is a good chance you didn't get enough torque on the 8mm bolt. It's not just a pinch-bolt, you are actually sliding the crankarm up tapered splines. A lot of times the torque-wrench will click out when you aren't actually all the way up there. Because the bearing preload is self-adjusting, just take an 8mm (a hand-sized ones, no basher bars!) and crank it down quite firmly.

Nothing was wrong with internal bb's -- octalink were okay, but square taper are fine, too. These external ones ARE a little lighter, and, they say stiffer.

RoadBikeReview Member

hope it's just seal drag... not positive.

I had some seal drag on the XTR cranks. My concern here is that it's much worse in the same spot when rotating the cranks. I suspect things will break in, sure hope so. I can't imagine a properly faced Serotta would be out of whack. Has me a bit concerned that the pressure on the bearings is a bit off in a spot or two.

I'll get 50 or so miles on it and see how it goes.

Pretty sure I got them up the taper far enough. Watched the install video etc. Nice job by sram on that.

Moderatus Puisne
    Yeah, I agree. They do a good job with their support and stuff. I am trying to remember if mine felt stiff in a spot or two, and I can't recall one way or the other. Let me know how it works out for you; interested in seeing durability of these things from person to person.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Mine always had quite a bit of seal drag, but it was pretty even across the rotation.

banned
    When I had the SRAM crank, it was stiff as well......It was a keeper if the crank arm didn't fell off like mine did.

May 2002
    Mine had a bunch of drag on my SRAM Force. I talked to SRAM about it and they sent me a new BB that has been great. The other one felt like I was dragging a tire up a hill! BTW, after you ride a few miles, re-check the torque. As Arg said, you are pulling the crank on and it will loosen....

Flash

RoadBikeReview Member

pulled and reinstalled

I pulled everything and re-installed.

I flipped the plastic tube on the inside as it seems to be a bit different on each end. After a re-install the seal drag is even the entire way around so I'm feeling better about it.

My drive-side cup went in almost too easy. I'm hoping my shop didn't chase those threads out too much when facing and chasing. I mean, it went in like butter. Not loose, but I was able to thread it 98% of the way in by hand and snugged it up with the tool.

Thought about plumbers tape which is how I used to install almost all BB's.

But, everything drags evenly now and it seems like all seal drag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    If everything is torqued down correctly, it won't matter how easily the BB threaded in. But I do like the idea of using teflon tape instead of grease.