Kmc 11 sl speed chain.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oct 2007

Kmc 11 sl speed chain.

Hi, just swapped my da chain to a kmc and for some reason it makes lots on noise on the front chainring.Its full DA9170.
    The old da chain had been on for about 12 months.
    The new kmc chain seems to work fine on the big ring and all rear cogs, just makes horrible noise when putting pressure on,in the work stand its fine...just actually riding is when you hear and feel it.
    Ive put the old chain back on and all is fine.
    I don't think the 39 front chainwheel would be that worn,its only about 2 years old.

Any thoughts !!!!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    It’s not the age, it’s the mileage.

At least that’s what my knee surgeon tells me.

Rub it............
    New chain on worn rings. Noise is normal until chain wears in. Need to change the chain a little more often then once a year. Unless you only have a little bit of mileage in that time frame like me. Only 60 miles this past year.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Oct 2007
    I've probably done about 5000kms on the chain(I know I should have changed it sooner)
    I know sometimes its a problem with the cassett, but the small chainring is something new to me?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Do you do a lot of climbing?

Never Give Up!
    I bought an 11spd KMC chain (new) that kind of does the same thing, it actually feels a little stiffer than the Shimano chain. Needless to say, I removed the KMC and put the Shimano chain back on... everything works fine.

My replacement was more of vanity thing than a chain ware, the new KMC was a mixed chain with Nickle Plated links and black links
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Oct 2007
    Road &Dirt, that's interesting,i'm glad its just not me doing something stupid!!.
    For $40.00 i might just get a new 39 tooth chainring and hopefully that will fix my problem.
    I've been working around bikes for years and never had a issue like this, but I've also never had a kmc chain before either

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I had some issues when I put a Campagnolo Chorus chain in my wife's Dura Ace 9000 equipped bike. I have four Campy equipped bikes and found a deal on Campy chains for $25 each and bought a bunch of them -- chains a chain, right? I replaced her cassette with an Ultegra cassette. I used a KMC link and not the Campy pin. Its kind of noisy. Sounds like its coming from the cassette area. Works fine, but in the future, I think I'll just keep the Campy chains for my own bikes.

Oct 2007
    new DA 39 chainring on its way.....hopefully problem fixed, fingers crossed

Banned Sock Puppet
    Personally, I would have tried a new Shimano chain before spending $$ on a new ring.

As far as wear, unlikely your chain rings would be worn after only 3000 miles. Cassettes wear faster than chain rings. Chain rings spread the load over more teeth, so don't wear as fast.

That being said, mileage is only one factor in chain wear. Conditions (riding in rain, wet roads or dirt roads), rider strength, riding mostly flats vs. hills, and how vigilant you are about timely and proper chain lubrication all affect wear.

I recently changed my road bike chain which had 6000 miles (almost 10,000km) on it. It wasn't even that worn, but it had a stiff link which could not be worked out. New chain on same cassette and crank set, shifting is still perfect.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Banned Sock Puppet
    Deleted.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I rode around on extremely worn chain rings for a season (several chains worth of time) when I was too cheap/lazy to replace them.
    Chain suck and less than great shifting were the problems I experienced, not extra noise. In fact noise went up a little when I finally got the new rings.

Basically metal on metal makes noise. And some combinations are worse than others especially when one is brand new and the other isn't.
    You apparently have one of the noisier combinations. It happens. Nothing to worry about as long as everything works fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 3810 View Post
    Hi, just swapped my da chain to a kmc and for some reason it makes lots on noise on the front chainring.Its full DA9170.
    The old da chain had been on for about 12 months.
    The new kmc chain seems to work fine on the big ring and all rear cogs, just makes horrible noise when putting pressure on,in the work stand its fine...just actually riding is when you hear and feel it.
    Ive put the old chain back on and all is fine.
    I don't think the 39 front chainwheel would be that worn,its only about 2 years old.

Any thoughts !!!!
    You're right that the 39 should not wear out in 2 years, but if you ride on the small ring a lot (some people do this - I can never understand why) and get caught in bad conditions a lot or ride a long time with a seriously worn chain, then this could be a worn chain ring.

Oct 2007
    Thanks for all the reply's.
    Its much cheaper for me to try a new DA chainring than getting a new DA chain,so I thought I would try that first.
    I agree that its unusual for a chainring to wear out so fast,as I don't think my riding style has changed much over the years,yes I do probably spent a lot more time on the small ring.I think the only thing I have done differently this time is the combo for the KMC chain.
    I've never had a problem with DA chains,I just thought I'd give KMC a try, maybe If I had just stayed with the DA I would never have had an issue.
    I'II let you know early next week how I get on.

Paul

Banned Sock Puppet
    I've never had a problem with DA chains,I just thought I'd give KMC a try, maybe If I had just stayed with the DA I would never have had an issue.
    As a general rule, I like to keep group set components all one brand. Problems sometimes arise when you mix brands.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    As a general rule, I like to keep group set components all one brand. Problems sometimes arise when you mix brands.
    I rode Dura Ace equipped bikes for years and never put Dura Ace cassettes or chains on them. DA cassettes are a waste of money. This was 9 and 10 speed stuff though. Chain ring cheaper than the chain? Really?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I rode Dura Ace equipped bikes for years and never put Dura Ace cassettes or chains on them. DA cassettes are a waste of money. This was 9 and 10 speed stuff though. Chain ring cheaper than the chain? Really?
    I am talking strickly of not mixing brands. Yes, I agree that DA cassettes are not only a waste of money, but they actually wear out faster than Ultegra, 105 or other Shimano cassettes because the cogs on DA are Ti.

I also think DA chains are a waste of money when a 105 or Ultegra will do. For that matter, I have a bike with a 5800 group set and a bike with a 6800 group set. They both shift equally well. I presume you save a minuscule amount of weight the higher up you go.

Oct 2007
    yep ,chainring $39.00 and a chain $60.00 in Australia and my new KMC was about $75.00,so the chainring is not to bad for a Dura Ace 9100

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    It's much cheaper for me to try a new DA chainring than getting a new DA chain,so I thought I would try that first.
    I agree that its unusual for a chainring to wear out so fast,as I don't think my riding style has changed much over the years,yes I do probably spent a lot more time on the small ring.I think the only thing I have done differently this time is the combo for the KMC chain.
    I'II let you know early next week how I get on.

Paul
    You need to stop abusing apostrophes and use them when appropriate.

And KMC make the high end Shimano chains but they are a little different in design. They make them to Shimano spec. They should be very quiet and smooth if no part of the drivetrain is worn too much.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You need to stop abusing apostrophes and use them when appropriate.

And KMC make the high end Shimano chains but they are a little different in design. They make them to Shimano spec. They should be very quiet and smooth if no part of the drivetrain is worn too much.
    for 11 speed application, with its tighter tolerances, i always go with Shimano chain on shimano components (chainrings, cassettes). KMC design is indeed slightly different than Shimano, you'd have to examine the 2 chains side by side to notice the design difference. Now on many frames, this difference is ok and you can use an 11spd KMC chain in place of a Shimano 11spd chain.

However, on frames with short chainstays, where when cross-chaining presents a more angled chainline,... then in this scenario the difference between a KMC 11spd chain and a Shimano one is nigh-and-day. This happens to me on one of my frames. When it comes to 11spd drivetrain, it's best to buy all components from one manufacturers and not mix and match. Shimano spend a great of R&D on their drivetrain, not gonna second doubt them.

On 10spd drivetrain, where tolerances are looser, then mixing chain isn't an issue for the very same frame that is giving issue when switching to 11 spd drivetrain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    And KMC make the high end Shimano chains but they are a little different in design. They make them to Shimano spec.
    I'm pretty sure they don't. Just the lower end ones. The fact that DA chains say made in Japan and KMC is in Taiwan would seem to support that they don't make DA chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    not gonna second doubt them.
    Me, I'm thinking second guessing. Second doubting? What IS that?

Oct 2007
    New Chainring arrived today and the problem is fixed.
    New chain is now nice a quiet on the 39 ring.
    I think next time I'll just stick with Dura Ace, time will tell.
    Thanks everyone for the input.
    Paul

Banned Sock Puppet
    New Chainring arrived today and the problem is fixed.
    New chain is now nice a quiet on the 39 ring.
    I think next time I'll just stick with Dura Ace, time will tell.
    Thanks everyone for the input.
    Paul
    Worn ring after only 3000 miles? Wow, just wow! You must be a beast!

Oct 2007
    Beast
    It must be just the combo. I've been riding for about 35years and I thinks its about the only chainring I've ever bought.
    All happy now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast