Large "Skid" Patches Causing "Knocking" Noise?
    banned
    Jul 2011

Large "Skid" Patches Causing "Knocking" Noise?

Ok, I read a lot on clunking noises and have not had a chance to get the bike up on the stand since I noticed this, but I had also seen a slight slit in my front tire, so before I went out for my day off morning run, patched it with a little shoe goo, so it would be dry in case I could ride tomorrow.

Figured, I should check the back too. Well, in addition to a few other small slits, there were a couple of large "skid" patches. Looked worn through to the fabric. I put goo on these but figure I need to replace the tire, just not sure when I will get to the store with the holiday weekend.

But this was on top of yesterday hearing what I would describe as a knocking noise. Light, nothing terrible. Couldn't feel anything wrong. Plus it only happened going uphill (at least 1% grade or more per Garmin) and sounded somewhat louder when climbing seated.

So I am wondering 2 things (or maybe 2 plus):

1. Could the tires be making the noise?
    2. What would cause this to happen to the tires? Could it be the same thing that was making the noise? (Chicken or egg syndrome) Could it have been the shoe goo? Just seemed abnormal wear. Yes I had a bad skid crash but that was over a month ago. Why now?

Any thoughts would be welcome. I am perplexed and before I buy a new tire or two, would like to get an opinion.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well no matter what you obviously need new tires. Put on new tires and see if the noise goes away.

Is this noise consistent/repetitive? Does it increase/decrease in repetition along with your speed and/or cadence?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Well no matter what you obviously need new tires. Put on new tires and see if the noise goes away.

Is this noise consistent/repetitive? Does it increase/decrease in repetition along with your speed and/or cadence?
    True, guess my concern would be with question 2. If something would cause that? Tire is old, but it had actually been sitting around for a year or so without being used. I am not good at tracking my miles on my tires, but I do not feel it should have worn out. And certainly not in that manner. Then again the last Maxxis also wore out fairly quickly for such a rugged tire.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Oh and the noise, was repetitive. Almost like an engine knocking in a car. The strange thing was it was only going uphill. When I was motoring along a flat (time trial style interval) nothing. But the second the grade went up, it came back. Noticeable really at 1% and higher grades on the Garmin. Seemed to not be there when I stood, but when I really listened to it, it was. But maybe not as loud.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Oh and the noise, was repetitive. Almost like an engine knocking in a car.
    Does it increase/decrease in repetition along with your speed and/or cadence?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

banned
    Jul 2011
    Does it increase/decrease in repetition along with your speed and/or cadence?
    I think so. Can't say if it was every turn of the wheel, the pedal or the crank. Wish I would have thought to figure out how often it was. I am thinking it was the wheel, but maybe that is wishful thinking for a quick fix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think so. Can't say if it was every turn of the wheel, the pedal or the crank. Wish I would have thought to figure out how often it was.
    when you have a noise at regular intervals, the first step in trouble-shooting is to determine whether it corresponds with wheel revolution, pedal revolution, or some other mysterious rhythm of the universe.

What would cause this to happen to the tires?
    A skid patch worn through to the cords would be caused by . . . a skid.

Yes I had a bad skid crash but that was over a month ago
    Perhaps you didn't closely inspect your tire after that?
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I agree with tlg. Regardless of where the knocking is coming from, it's time for new tires. Don't mess with any compromises - especially in a front tire. If a front tire blows out, you may kiss the pavement!

You say the knocking is consistent. Consistent with what? As JCavilia says, is it consistent with tire revolutions, pedal revolutions or something else? Something is loose somewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Worn tires do not cause noises.

The cords show in just a few places (at first) because the tread was slightly thinner there. On some tires the cords show first at the place where the internal belts overlap.

When the cords show you should have replaced the tire about 500 miles ago.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    when you have a noise at regular intervals, the first step in trouble-shooting is to determine whether it corresponds with wheel revolution, pedal revolution, or some other mysterious rhythm of the universe.

A skid patch worn through to the cords would be caused by . . . a skid.

Perhaps you didn't closely inspect your tire after that?
    Well, learning about that first thing now.
    I just called it a skid patch because not sure what else to call it. I looked over the bike pretty thoroughly after that. Had it checked out at the shop too. My thought was maybe the shoe goo, did not agree with the tire. I had applied it fairly liberally under the understanding that what did not seep in would wear off quickly once hitting the road. Not sure, but that or something rubbing it is all I can see, but what and why just there? Strange but.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I agree with tlg. Regardless of where the knocking is coming from, it's time for new tires. Don't mess with any compromises - especially in a front tire. If a front tire blows out, you may kiss the pavement!

You say the knocking is consistent. Consistent with what? As JCavilia says, is it consistent with tire revolutions, pedal revolutions or something else? Something is loose somewhere.
    Fortunately it is the rear. But still. No reason to chance it.

Consistent meant rhythmic. Consistent as far as 1 time per second or something like that. Didn't think to compare it to my pedal stroke or chain or wheel turnover. Before reading anything my guess was the issue was the chain/deraileur. The sound is definitely coming from behind me, not in front of me.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The sound is definitely coming from behind me, not in front of me.
    Don't be so sure of that. Sounds resonate through frames quite well.

Do you have any spare or old tires laying around? How about from another bike?
    A quick diagnosis would be swap the tires. You could also swap the front and rear tire and see if that changes the sound.

I never let my tires get to the point that they're un-rideable. I take them off when they're pretty warn and put them in the closet. Always good to have a spare set around in case you have a blow out or other situation where you can't get to the LBS to buy a new one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    First off, who's bright idea was the 'shoe gloo', get the tire off the bike.
    Sounds like you have not a clue as far as scientific research of the real world.

Take to to a shop, tell them to fix it. Pay for it. Don't work on your own bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm lost. Doesn't matter. First, get some new tires. Second, stop skidding your rear wheel so they last longer (learn to use the front brake for hard stops?). Third, then start trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. If you will search for and review some of the many many threads on the subject here, you will learn that there's nothing definite about the location of such a sound. Vibrations get transmitted through the frame, and it can be very hard to pinpoint the location. There are many stories of (for example) a rider being sure the noise is coming from the rear hub, and eventually finding it was the bottom bracket, or the chainring bolts, or the seatpost clamp, or the stem, or . . .

And as for the Shoe Goo, I'm one of those who has found it useful for filling SMALL slits so debris doesn't stick. But it sounds like you smeared it all over the place. Don't do that. It's not for replacing tread.

Let us know how things sound when you get a new tire.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Worn tires do not cause noises.

The cords show in just a few places (at first) because the tread was slightly thinner there. On some tires the cords show first at the place where the internal belts overlap.

When the cords show you should have replaced the tire about 500 miles ago.
    Didn't notice anything 500 miles ago, well except maybe it looked like the area with the shoe goo was accumulating some dirt. That's why I thought it might have something to do with it. Seemed like a good trick but may be more judicious with it's use in the future.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Don't be so sure of that. Sounds resonate through frames quite well.

Do you have any spare or old tires laying around? How about from another bike?
    A quick diagnosis would be swap the tires. You could also swap the front and rear tire and see if that changes the sound.

I never let my tires get to the point that they're un-rideable. I take them off when they're pretty warn and put them in the closet. Always good to have a spare set around in case you have a blow out or other situation where you can't get to the LBS to buy a new one.
    Picking up a new tire at the shop tomorrow. Will try that first. Tires did not look very worn. Nicks here and there but no thread showing.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    First off, who's bright idea was the 'shoe gloo', get the tire off the bike.
    Sounds like you have not a clue as far as scientific research of the real world.

Take to to a shop, tell them to fix it. Pay for it. Don't work on your own bike!
    I can change a tire. And a few other minor things. Try not to be obnoxious. I know that can be hard, when others have helpful things to add.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I'm lost. Doesn't matter. First, get some new tires. Second, stop skidding your rear wheel so they last longer (learn to use the front brake for hard stops?). Third, then start trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. If you will search for and review some of the many many threads on the subject here, you will learn that there's nothing definite about the location of such a sound. Vibrations get transmitted through the frame, and it can be very hard to pinpoint the location. There are many stories of (for example) a rider being sure the noise is coming from the rear hub, and eventually finding it was the bottom bracket, or the chainring bolts, or the seatpost clamp, or the stem, or . . .

And as for the Shoe Goo, I'm one of those who has found it useful for filling SMALL slits so debris doesn't stick. But it sounds like you smeared it all over the place. Don't do that. It's not for replacing tread.

Let us know how things sound when you get a new tire.
    Thanks. Much appreciated. I read not to worry about excess so I did not. Maybe I should have. I do like it to fill in those tiny cracks and prevent some little thing sneaking in there.

I will also listen and see if I hear anything next time out. And what it corresponds to. Maybe I can recreate it on the stand. Doubtful. But kind of fun learning this stuff little by little. I have a great LBS, but with work it is tough to get the bike to and from them other than the 2 late nights a week. During the summer I ride most days and while I have a second bike, prefer to keep it as a second bike.

;)

banned
    Jul 2011
    Well. The knocking noise stopped with the new tire. There was still a small creak. Based on the one website I read I oiled the chain better. Also took apart and cleaned brakes to stop screaching. Brakes were fine. The rhythmic creaking stopped for awhile then came back. After a coffee shop stop we were just getting started and the rear derailleur snapped off. Ouch. Wondering how big of a fix this will be.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    After a coffee shop stop we were just getting started and the rear derailleur snapped off.
    How'd that happen? Rear derailleurs don't just snap off.

banned
    Jul 2011

Re: Large "Skid" Patches Causing "Knocking" Noise?

How'd that happen? Rear derailleurs don't just snap off.
    The hanger snapped off. Must have been weakened. Looked much worse.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Ouch!! I sure hope it didn't take part of the frame with it or it's a life ender for that frame. If it's an external hanger and you have led a very clean life, you may get away with just a new hanger and derailleur which won't run you more than $75.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Lombard; 07-07-2014 at 01:22 PM.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Ouch!! I sure hope it didn't take part of the frame with it or it's a life ender for that frame. If it's an external hanger and you have led a very clean life, you may get away with just a new hanger and derailleur which won't run you more than $75.

Good luck!
    I was afraid of that. Shop got a parts order in for about $30. Should have the bike back by Wednesday. Very happy about that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    You might double check the tension on your spokes. Just go around the wheel and see if any spokes feel loose. Also check if the wheel is true by spinning it and watching how it is around the brake pads, or perhaps your thumb. It is quite possible that your tire woes induced a bounce causing the knock. Or, perhaps a bounce induced your tire woes.

It is possible that your skid months ago took off just enough tread, that with further riding, you wore through the rest of the way. Avoid skidding whenever possible, but also do whatever it takes to avoid an accident.

I like the idea of keeping old tires as "emergency spares". Although, my last rear I replaced, I could hardly get 10 miles without getting a flat. If your mileage is high enough, it never hurts to buy a new tire in advance. I may do a personal century, or double-century shortly, and will probably take my spare with me just in case.

I'm glad you're getting your derailleur & hanger fixed.

Type in something like "Simplex Rear Derailleur" into E-Bay. Many of the cheap derailleurs from the 70's and 80's had built-in derailleur hangers, so your bike isn't necessarily toasted if you loose the derailleur hanger even if it isn't replaceable.

I have a frame that I bought recently with a busted derailleur hanger. Hopefully I will find the parts to braze in a new rear dropout.