Length of the aero section of Giant Aero Seatpost?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Length of the aero section of Giant Aero Seatpost?

Am I understanding this sizing chart correctly?
    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/EN-PA...ing/175/25897/

Under "full specs" the two dimensions, there's seatpost #, then two lengths. I'm taking it thats the range of effective length, right? As in for:

"Post #2, 170/205mm"

170mm is the smallest length exposed/lowest setting? While 205mm is the max?

Maybe it's a no-brainer, but I just want to be sure in case I enter a world of regret and despair when responding to an ad.

Perma-Newb
    Dec 2009
    My guess would be that the 170 number refers to the length of the aero profile and the 205 number refers to the length of the entire post.

My 0.02

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puke N Hurl
    My guess would be that the 170 number refers to the length of the aero profile and the 205 number refers to the length of the entire post.

My 0.02
    I'm not familiar with the ins-and-outs of fitting aero posts, but wouldn't that mean there's virtually no range of adjustment in that case?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    I'm not familiar with the ins-and-outs of fitting aero posts, but wouldn't that mean there's virtually no range of adjustment in that case?
    No, the range of adjustment on all these posts is 3.5 cm (or 35 mm). While that doesn't sound like much, it's actually enough considering that a 3.5 cm change in saddle height would be huge for most experienced riders.

The 170/205 mm specification for post #2 means that the distance from the top of the seat tube or seat tube clamp to the center of the saddle rails will be 170 mm at lowest possible insertion, 205 mm at highest possible insertion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    No, the range of adjustment on all these posts is 3.5 cm (or 35 mm). While that doesn't sound like much, it's actually enough considering that a 3.5 cm change in saddle height would be huge for most experienced riders.

The 170/205 mm specification for post #2 means that the distance from the top of the seat tube or seat tube clamp to the center of the saddle rails will be 170 mm at lowest possible insertion, 205 mm at highest possible insertion.
    I thought Puke N Hurl meant that 205mm value accounted for the entire post length, meaning all that 35mm would inevitably have to be in the seat tube...if that's even sufficient enough for proper clamping.

But the latter portion of your post seems to be in agreement with my guess. Thanks.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    I thought Puke N Hurl meant that 205mm value accounted for the entire post length, meaning all that 35mm would inevitably have to be in the seat tube...if that's even sufficient enough for proper clamping.
    As you realized, a 205 mm post with a 170 mm aero section would be useless. Here's an outline drawing to scale of the incorrect assumption.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    As you realized, a 205 mm post with a 170 mm aero section would be useless. Here's an outline drawing to scale of the incorrect assumption.
    agree. hahaha. i also think it would be useless but my mind is contradicting it. hmmm~