Link for Campagnnolo Permalink C10 Chain
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020

Link for Campagnnolo Permalink C10 Chain

Dear all,
    What a great forum; it's difficult to find a forum with that many competent answers. Thanks.

My first post now. I know that my question has been answered before but many years ago. I hope someone will answer anyway.

My chain just broke (not worn out). I've found an old unused spare Campagnolo C10 permalink chain in my drawer, but I neither have the permalink itself nor the chain tool.
    One of the (very) old forum answers say that a "Wipperman's 10 Speed Connex link (the silver one)" would work as well.
    Will a current 10 Speed Connex link work?
    KMC (9 or 10 speed?) can be used for Campagnolo chains, but is that also the case for the old Permalink C10 chain?

PS. No hard feelings if you suggest me to throw away my old chain - I just don't like throwing away things if they can still be used.

Thanks a lot in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I used to have a 10-speed Campagnolo drivetrain and liked to do everything by the book. I also loved to clean my bike, so I quickly realized that it was going to get expensive and impractical for me to use the permalink if I wanted to take the chain off for cleaning. I didn't care for KMC so I ignored recommendations for their masterlink and I found some obscure brand from an online retailer. I can't remember what it was, but I'd not heard of it before or since. But they said they were made specifically for Campy 10-speed chains. The fit and finish didn't seem very good, and it would click when the chain snaked through the derailleur pulleys and cassette when I was in my 2 smallest cogs. I ditched it and tried a Connex 10-speed link and never looked back. I can't speak for the current ones as I'm unaware if they made any changes, but they still say they work for "all 10-speed chains".

Long story short, the Connex link gets my vote.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yes it'll work. Buy two, one to keep in your saddle bag.

I was on a ride with a guy who had the Connex quick link break with that exact combination. But he is incredibly bad with bike maintenance and has ridden a bazillion miles without the combo breaking so I don't make to much of the one fail. Regardless it's always good to have a spare along for the ride.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Connex works, but also KMC makes specific Campagnolo ones for newer 10 speed chains. They're way cheaper and work great, I've used them for almost 15 years.

Ebay link

Not sure about older 10 speed chains though.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks a lot to all of you for your great answers!
    I'll buy two Connex 10-speed links as suggested.

When my chain broke, I walked with my bike about 4 km to get home. While walking, almost 20 bikers and one motorbiker stopped and asked if they could help. One was very sorry and excused that he didn't have a spare link in his saddle bag that day.
    The bike ride turned from being a pain due to the broken chain into a great ride meeting so many unexpectedly friendly bike riders.
    With a spare chain link, I may be able to help another bike rider with a broken chain one day.

I just see now that the old chain was 110 links long and the Campagnolo Permalink chain 114 links (with a new Connex link). The Campagnolo looks as if the pins are not meant to be pushed out with a normal chain tool. If the chain really is too long, I'll try to push a pin out to take 2 or 4 links away - I hope that works as well

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Preb View Post
    Thanks a lot to all of you for your great answers!
    I'll buy two Connex 10-speed links as suggested.

When my chain broke, I walked with my bike about 4 km to get home. While walking, almost 20 bikers and one motorbiker stopped and asked if they could help. One was very sorry and excused that he didn't have a spare link in his saddle bag that day.
    The bike ride turned from being a pain due to the broken chain into a great ride meeting so many unexpectedly friendly bike riders.
    With a spare chain link, I may be able to help another bike rider with a broken chain one day.

I just see now that the old chain was 110 links long and the Campagnolo Permalink chain 114 links (with a new Connex link). The Campagnolo looks as if the pins are not meant to be pushed out with a normal chain tool. If the chain really is too long, I'll try to push a pin out to take 2 or 4 links away - I hope that works as well
    Yes, you can remove links from a Campy chain with a normal chain tool. Not an issue.
    Last edited by Kerry Irons; 5 Days Ago at 07:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks a lot Kerry!
    It's always easier to do things when you know it's possible