Long or Short Cage R. Der. / Braze on F. Der.????
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Long or Short Cage R. Der. / Braze on F. Der.????

Hello All, First off I want to thank all of you for any help or advice, it's greatly appreciated. I'm in the middle of building up a Cannondale frame and I'm a bit confused with all the der. choices out there. I don't know when or why to use a short or long cage rear der. The other problem I'm having is the front der....what does "braze on" mean? I think of braze on as a form of welding but I know that can't be right.

This is what I do know...I decided that I am going to go with a triple chain ring set probably a FSA Grossamer or a Shimano Ultegra. The other aspect I'm unsure of is what is compatible with a 9 speed system and a 10 speed system??? The wheelset I have is compatible with both 9 & 10 speed but I don't know if I need a certain front/rear der.'s with a triple ring crankset or not???

Lastly, does the lenght of the bottom bracket factor in for either a double or triple ring set??? Can someone give me some needed info on what is compatible and what is not??? I'm trying to avoid purchasing components and having to return them do to my ignorance.

Thanks,
    Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Most frames use a clamp on frt derailluer, which has abuilt in clamp that clamps around the seat tube. You have to get a derailluer with the proper clamp diamater to fit. A braze on front derailluer is designed to bolt directly onto a brazed on tab on the seat tube. This is less common and most often found on steel, especially european frames.If you don't have this fitting on your frame [Cannondale's don't] then you will need the clamp on type. If you are using a triple chainwheel crankset, then you should use a long cage rear derailluer, which will provide more wrap capacity for the wide variance of chainring sizes up front. A triple crank will use a longer spindle length in most cases to position the drive side crank outward further to provide clearance for the extra chainring. When ordering the crankset, just make sure to get the proper bottom bracket for the triple. Generally, the newer 10 speed components have specific derailluers, and also cranksets, since the chain for a 10 speed is slightly narrower than a 9 speed chain, though most 9 speed cranks will work fine with 10 speed set ups as well. But the shifters and rear deraillluer must be for the proper set up, 9 or 10 speed. The front derailluers should interchange between 9 and 10 speed. Another thing to keep in mind is that triple cranksets need a front derailluer designed for triples, a double front derailluer won't work with a triple crankset. Luckily, the wheelsets are mostly interchangeable, though some rear hubs, like the newer dura ace models, are for 10 speed only. If you are still confused as to what to get, order from your local shop or one of the larger mail order houses, most of which will offer technical assistance and help you to order the right parts. I hope this helps!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MnMike
    Hello All, First off I want to thank all of you for any help or advice, it's greatly appreciated. I'm in the middle of building up a Cannondale frame and I'm a bit confused with all the der. choices out there. I don't know when or why to use a short or long cage rear der. The other problem I'm having is the front der....what does "braze on" mean? I think of braze on as a form of welding but I know that can't be right.
    Braze on front derailleur are meant for frames with the FD hangers braze on to it.

This is what I do know...I decided that I am going to go with a triple chain ring set probably a FSA Grossamer or a Shimano Ultegra. The other aspect I'm unsure of is what is compatible with a 9 speed system and a 10 speed system??? The wheelset I have is compatible with both 9 & 10 speed but I don't know if I need a certain front/rear der.'s with a triple ring crankset or not???
    For road bikes, the general rule is short cage for double, long cage for triple.

Lastly, does the lenght of the bottom bracket factor in for either a double or triple ring set??? Can someone give me some needed info on what is compatible and what is not??? I'm trying to avoid purchasing components and having to return them do to my ignorance.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Most cranks these day (include the Gossamer) uses external cups, which comes with the cranks. So, there's really no need to worry about compatibility
    Last edited by Jett; 02-22-2008 at 11:38 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    You can also buy clamps that will work with braze-ons.