Longer reach to hoods on DA 7900?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Longer reach to hoods on DA 7900?

My 2 road bikes have almost identical geometry. I built them up with the same stem and bar. My newer bike, however, was built up with Dura Ace 7900 (compared with DA 7800 on the older bike). I recently noticed that I felt a little more stretched out on the newer bike. I made some adjustments to the saddle position (because the newer bike's seatpost had slightly more setback). It wasn't until I lined the bikes up side by side that I realized the reach to the hoods on the 7900 shifters was significantly longer (more than 1 inch) than on the 7800 shifters. I've read some reviews of the 7900, but have no come across this discussed. I'm not sure if it's better to run a shorter stem, get a bar with less reach, or both? I've attached some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

Rub it............
    Yes, it has been mentioned during several reviews about the longer reach with the 7900 shifters. The easiest and cheaper way would be to install a shorter stem. Just take your measurements and buy accordingly.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Yes, it has been mentioned during several reviews about the longer reach with the 7900 shifters. The easiest and cheaper way would be to install a shorter stem. Just take your measurements and buy accordingly.

Thanks. I guess I didn't read the reviews carefully enough. If I shorten the stem 20cm to bring the hoods closer, aren't I also moving the flat and drop portions of the bar closer as well? I guess I'll have to try out a shorter stem for a while.
    Kokopelli Racing

Rub it............
    You might also go with a zero setback seat post, like you have on your other bike. I know that you are not supposed adjust seat position for reach, but if you are trying to make both bikes the same, everything needs to be the same.

With a zero setback post, you might only need a 10mm shorter stem, as long as your positioning on the seat doesn't affect your ride.

Measure from the nose of the saddle to the hoods on the bike equipped with 7800, then set up the same measurement on the new bike.
    You can't fix stupid.

Old guy that rides bikes
    Aug 2007
    You can also try going with a short and shallow bar. FSA and many others make them and this would not affect where your flat section of bar would be. A shorter stem is probably going to be less expensive an option as you'll not have to wrap your hb again although the tape you have is pretty sturdy and should withstand being unwrapped and rewrapped. Going with a stem that is too short will affect your handling as in making steering quicker so choose wisely my young padowan!

Hucken The Fard Up !
    for starts your STIs are not setup at the same place on the bars.

It will be still a little difference but would be less than 1 inch
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Old guy that rides bikes
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover

good eye there Salsa_Lover..that looks like it would definitely make a diff.
    I'm not that fast, You're just really slow!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    i'd go a short reach bar over a shorter stem
    LANCE ARMSTRONG 2009 NEVADA CITY CHAMPION

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You might also go with a zero setback seat post, like you have on your other bike. I know that you are not supposed adjust seat position for reach, but if you are trying to make both bikes the same, everything needs to be the same.

With a zero setback post, you might only need a 10mm shorter stem, as long as your positioning on the seat doesn't affect your ride.

Measure from the nose of the saddle to the hoods on the bike equipped with 7800, then set up the same measurement on the new bike.
    you don't want to change your set back to make up for reach. period. if, as you say, everything needs to be the same, you are condradicting yourself by saying he should change his set back.
    if you really like the bars on the new bike, you need to get a shorter stem. and set up the levers on the bars the same, it looks like the 7900 are a bunch lower, which will feel longer. if you aren't crazy about the bars, you could go shorter on the bar reach and also a slightly shorter stem.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member

The USE carbon seatpost on the Elium is not actually a zero setback post, but it does have less setback than the Seven carbon post on the V-II. I've already moved the seat on the V-II forward so they are the same distance from the bar (measuring from the tip of the saddle).
    Last edited by Yangpei; 03-30-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Kokopelli Racing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover

Good point. But, even if I move the STI's to the same exact spot on the bars, there still looks to be at least a 15-20mm difference in reach to the hoods.
    Kokopelli Racing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferretboy
    You can also try going with a short and shallow bar. FSA and many others make them and this would not affect where your flat section of bar would be. A shorter stem is probably going to be less expensive an option as you'll not have to wrap your hb again although the tape you have is pretty sturdy and should withstand being unwrapped and rewrapped. Going with a stem that is too short will affect your handling as in making steering quicker so choose wisely my young padowan!

FSA K-wing bar lists a reach of 90mm while their K-wing compact bar lists a reach of 80mm. That should make up part of the difference in reach to the hoods. The drops will also be closer (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing).
    Last edited by Yangpei; 03-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Kokopelli Racing

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench
    you don't want to change your set back to make up for reach. period. if, as you say, everything needs to be the same, you are condradicting yourself by saying he should change his set back.
    if you really like the bars on the new bike, you need to get a shorter stem. and set up the levers on the bars the same, it looks like the 7900 are a bunch lower, which will feel longer. if you aren't crazy about the bars, you could go shorter on the bar reach and also a slightly shorter stem.

I was referring to the fact that he has 2 different seat posts. Just trying to get things to match up so he can make an appropriate change with either a stem or bar. I'm sure all your bikes are set up similar. I know mine are as far as measurements go.

But looks like the OP has the idea of what he needs to do.
    You can't fix stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I had this situation, depending on difference to the hoods, I'd do a combo in decreasing the stem and a shorter reach bar. The shorter reach bar will retain your position for the tops but I dunno if these bars can reduce that much of the distance. You may still wind up a half to cm or longer to the hoods.

BTW...nice rides