Look 585 frame + fork - gap okay?
    Converted Marathon Runner

Look 585 frame + fork - gap okay?

Just got to getting my 585 and HSC5 fork fitted up, and when I installed the headset, with the lower bearing riding on the fork like the manual says, I have a 2-3mm gap (ish) between the top of the fork crown, and the bottom of the headtube.

Shop says it is normal and fine, but I want to be confirm/deny such a statement. It doesn't look normal to me (compared to my Merckx, which is also an integrated headset), but that frame also has a fork with a lower bearing race, while the HSC5 fork has a tapered steerer and the bearing rides right on it, with no race that you'd normally tap on.

Manual says good to go with the way I have it installed, but again, want to be sure. A picture of yours would be great if you have it, so I can compare, but if not, words work peachy.

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

large...

I'd take it apart and check that the beering seat is not installed up side down and properly seated in the head tube. Also check to see if there is a significant gap between the bottom of the bearing and the top of the fork. Perhaps the 36 degree crown on the fork has a problem. I assume it's obvious to you, which way the bearing goes on. I also assume you have the stock FSA headset that came with the frame.

FWIW, I can barely insert a .020 inch (.5mm) feeler gage between my fork and the head tube on my 585.

The fork looks okay....

The "race" on the fork looks okay, no sharp spots or anything irregular to my eye. The bearing doesn't sit all the way down on the fork though, which is what is causing my gap issue.

All stock parts as you said, stock FSA headset, etc. I didn't have the topcap cranked on, but I did the "compress it" method where I just push it down and cinch up the stem a bit to check measurements before cutting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Had the same prob.

My 585 (just built recently) was like that too, when I first stuck it together. I am not sure exactly why, but I suspect the bearing seat inside the bottom of the headtube is difficult to get aligned and installed just right. There are actually two peices up there inside the bottom of the headtube that the fork crown bearing fits into. One peice is 'attached' inside the head tube using those dorky cable guide's mounting screws. Guess you could call that peice the race cage, or something. Then there is another shaped washer thing that fits up into that first peice. I am guessing the second part, the parts that the fork crown bearing contacts, can get "jill-poked" causing the fork to hang down. On mine, I re-assembled the front a few times and all of a sudden it was right..So I don't know this was the exact problem, for sure, but it's a good theory. Reach in there with your finger and you can seperate the two parts of the frame's bearing seat. Check and see if they are together properly.

Anyhow, mine now has about 35mm clearance (.07") beteen the bottom of the headtube and the 'flat' on top of the fork legs. Very nice bike, BTW

Don Hanson

Did you loosen up those cable guide thing and then re-assemble, or just re-assemble the fork/headset a few times? I'll have a closer look at it, but it def. doesn't look right how it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    No, but I am going to work that part of the frame over somehow to be able to use conventional cable tensioners. As it is now, you are forced to use those in-line tensioners, which I do not like.

When I built mine, I thought maybe the extra peice I am talking about was the "you don't need it" part they mention in the handbook..the 'normal' collar that is found on top of the fork legs on many frames..So, I first assembled it with that peice left out..Loosely assembled it, thank goodness! Well, that didn't work..the fork was binding on the headtube. I called my LBS and asked em..they didn't really know..so I guess the "extra" inside the headtube dealie doesn't normally come all the way out..but in your case, maybe it is in there slightly off kilter, or something.
    Don Hanson