Look Keo Carbon Ti Failure
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

Exclamation Look Keo Carbon Ti Failure

I was riding this weekend on Look Keo Carbon Ti pedals, that I have used without problems for 2 years. Standing on the pedal to accelerate, the right axel sheared about 2 cm from the crank arm face, pedal still attached to my shoe. My foot hit the ground and and I crashed hard, without serious injury. Just a bit rattled, and scratched up. I had to call for a ride home.

Anyone ever hear of these pedals breaking at the axel? Now I am scared to ride on my other Keos set up on a different bike. Thinking of using the new DA 7810 pedal, even though I have full campy set up on my bike.

I weigh 175lbs, so I didn't think these would be a problem.

FNG
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by curvilinear
    I was riding this weekend on Look Keo Carbon Ti pedals, that I have used without problems for 2 years. Standing on the pedal to accelerate, the right axel sheared about 2 cm from the crank arm face, pedal still attached to my shoe. My foot hit the ground and and I crashed hard, without serious injury. Just a bit rattled, and scratched up. I had to call for a ride home.

Anyone ever hear of these pedals breaking at the axel? Now I am scared to ride on my other Keos set up on a different bike. Thinking of using the new DA 7810 pedal, even though I have full campy set up on my bike.

I weigh 175lbs, so I didn't think these would be a problem.
    Hi curvilinear,

I'm very sorry to hear you had a problem with your pedals. It is highly unusual for these pedals to fail like you've described. Please give us a call at your earliest convenience so we can discuss your warranty claim.

Best Regards,
    [email protected]
    (866) 430-5665 - dial "2" from the main menu to reach customer service.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Same problem

But I had the CroMo axle. Stood up to crank and the drive side snapped at the crank. There was obvious metal fatigue at the fracture point.

Look sent me new pedals, but took more than a month too hear back form numerous emails. Looks like you are further ahead in the process already!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    This is not the first time I have heard of Keo axles snapping. Check out these threads on weightweenies for some more anecdotal feedback:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...light=keo+axle

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...ht=keo+failure

If you do change, you will simply NOT go wrong with the new 7810 DA pedal. They are simply outstanding. All of the (few) issues with the previous iteration of this pedal have been ironed out and shimano have produced an outstanding product.

RoadBikeReview Member

Look Warranty

Follow the advise of Chas. Look customer service is second to none in my experience.

Henry