Low Tire clearance on Disc Brake bike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

I currently have a very low tire clearance on my bike at the brake bridge. I estimate the clearance is about 1.5mm. The tire ate through black paint and into white primmer over the course of 200km. I am currently running Continental GP4000 25mm on Reynolds Aero 65 wheels. My first question is whether going to tubeless GP5000 increase the clearance (i.e. is a tubeless tire slightly smaller then a tube + tire combo)? If going tubeless is unlikely to help, is there another tire that anyone can recommend that can increase the clearance. I would like to stay at 25mm, but I know some brands run smaller/larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I can't help but maybe better asked in the wheel and tire forum? Good Luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Whether a tire is tubed or tubeless will not change its dimensions. Manufacturers vary in how their listed dimension tires will actually measure so unfortunately, you'll have to try.

But if you find a 25mm tire that offers more clearance, then that's actually heading in the wrong direction from the tire you currently enjoy, isn't it?

I think your frame was poorly designed to take advantage of the tire clearance benefits derived from disc brakes. Some may say chainstay clearance is not a factor with regard to disc brakes, but I say the manufacturer could have done better than your severe limitations to even 25mm tires.

Rub it............
    Just an FYI Continental GP4000s run big. A 25 will measure closer to 28mm. Reason I know is that my GP4000S in 28's measure 29.7 mm on Ultegra 6800 wheels, which I think measure 16mm internal.

My guess is your Reynolds are wider than that.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Banned forever.....or not
    What make/model/year frame is it???......Did you check out the bike specs before you bought (maximum tire size)??? Didn't you notice something "funny" before you left with the bike???? Have you talked with the dealer??Ö..You can always use 23's, but it seems rather silly that a disc brake bike has such small clearances.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    What make/model/year frame is it???......Did you check out the bike specs before you bought (maximum tire size)??? Didn't you notice something "funny" before you left with the bike???? Have you talked with the dealer??Ö..You can always use 23's, but it seems rather silly that a disc brake bike has such small clearances.
    The bike is specíed up to 25mm. I bought the frameset and built it up myself. The prior tire was a little old, I just threw on a newish GP4000 to see if the problem improves. Also added some electrical tape as protection for the frame while I figure this out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Just an FYI Continental GP4000s run big. A 25 will measure closer to 28mm. Reason I know is that my GP4000S in 28's measure 29.7 mm on Ultegra 6800 wheels, which I think measure 16mm internal.

The wheels have a 19mm internal width so my gut says that a wider rim will make the tire sit a little flatter (adding clearance) since more of the tire is required to cover the wider rim width.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like someone else mentioned, gp4k's run big. I installed a new 25mm for a metric and at the end of the ride I was hearing a noise but couldn't figure it out until that night, when I inspected I found the tire had grown to 28.9mm and was rubbing the underside of my 6800 rim brakes. Looks like GP5k's run true as advertised.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Chinarello?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebastianorozco View Post
    I currently have a very low tire clearance on my bike at the brake bridge. I estimate the clearance is about 1.5mm. The tire ate through black paint and into white primmer over the course of 200km. I am currently running Continental GP4000 25mm on Reynolds Aero 65 wheels. My first question is whether going to tubeless GP5000 increase the clearance (i.e. is a tubeless tire slightly smaller then a tube + tire combo)? If going tubeless is unlikely to help, is there another tire that anyone can recommend that can increase the clearance. I would like to stay at 25mm, but I know some brands run smaller/larger.

Don't really understand the logic but if you want tires with 25 printed on the outside that are slimmer than others with 25 printed on the outside Veloflex would definitely be my suggestion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Chinarello?
    Nope, the real thing.

Tire had grown to 28mm like some on here mentioned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Like someone else mentioned, gp4k's run big. I installed a new 25mm for a metric and at the end of the ride I was hearing a noise but couldn't figure it out until that night, when I inspected I found the tire had grown to 28.9mm and was rubbing the underside of my 6800 rim brakes. Looks like GP5k's run true as advertised.
    I just ordered a 25mm GP5000 tubeless to try it out. The current tire was in fact 28mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I just ordered a 25mm GP5000 tubeless to try it out. The current tire was in fact 28mm.

ugh, don't. GP5000s will be similar.
    I'd would try GP4000s 23mm, because they will balloon out to 25mm on a 19mm internal width rim.

And btw, why are some of you in here saying that a disc bike has to have lots of room for tire clearance??? Equipping a bike with disc doesn't obligate frame design to have wide tire clearance. Aero usually dictates narrow tire clearance.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Nope, the real thing.

Tire had grown to 28mm like some on here mentioned.

Real Pinarello?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    ugh, don't. GP5000s will be similar.
    I'd would try GP4000s 23mm, because they will balloon out to 25mm on a 19mm internal width rim.

And btw, why are some of you in here saying that a disc bike has to have lots of room for tire clearance??? Equipping a bike with disc doesn't obligate frame design to have wide tire clearance. Aero usually dictates narrow tire clearance.
    My thought is that going from tube to tubeless may result in a slightly less tall tire ( width is not really an issue). I also think seating and reseating the tire for tube replacements may have stretched out the tire. My front which has only been seated once is about a mm less tall... Iíll install the GP5000 and report my findings back here.

As a long term Solution do you thing a wider rim will result in a less tall tire?

Last edited by jsebastianorozco; 10-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My thought is that going from tube to tubeless may result in a slightly less tall tire ( width is not really an issue). I also think seating and reseating the tire for tube replacements may have stretched out the tire. My front which has only been seated once is about a mm less tall... Iíll install the GP5000 and report my findings back here.

As a long term Solution do you thing a wider rim will result in a less tall tire?

let's get a couple things straight.

1. using the same rim, a narrower tire will give both a lower tire height AND narrower sides. You cannot change to a tire that will somehow just ONLY reduce the mounted-tire height but keep the side width the same (unless this tire construction somehow is unique to make this possible, and I doubt it).

2. Going to wider rim, while keeping the same tire, will make the mounted tire height lower and the sides of the mounted-tire to have less of a "light-bulb" shape. However, because the rim is now wider, this may make effective width of the mounted-tire to be the SAME as before (but this is not crucial to you as you have side clearance and you're interested in clearing the height). But... keep in mind that going to a wider rim might not clear the chainstays, I know Pinarellos Dogmas have very narrow chainstays.

If it were me, I'd definitely try on 23mm regular clincher tires first before taking the tubeless route (because tubeless takes more time to setup and if it doesn't work then you've to remove the tubeless tires, ugh that's a lot of work for a trial-n-error approach)

Also.. what pressure are you running at the rear? I'm thinking that the psi is too soft, thus allowing the bike to squish down and allow the tire to rub onto the brake track? How about try upping the psi by 10-15 and see if will fix it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Happy to report that the GP5000 tubeless tire has substantially less height than the GP4000. I installed a 25mm and have about 2.5 -3 mm of clearance, which Iím comfortable with. I hope the tire doesnít stretch with use, I doubt it since the material itself is way thicker than on the regular tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Happy to report that the GP5000 tubeless tire has substantially less height than the GP4000. I installed a 25mm and have about 2.5 -3 mm of clearance, which Iím comfortable with. I hope the tire doesnít stretch with use, I doubt it since the material itself is way thicker than on the regular tire.
    Appears to have substantially less width as well. In other words, it is a smaller tire. It will stretch a very small amount but probably not enough to notice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    It is a bit thinner from the sides but the photos may exagťrate this because my focus was on lining up the top of the tire. Iíll post measurements tonight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Seems like the width difference is in fact quite substantial. 1.8mm. Iíll add that the tubeless tire is quite a bit thicker than the regular one so I doubt that it will stretch much of at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Because the number one complaint with carbon forks is the lack of clearance for larger tires. And that complaint carried over to the rear end of carbon bikes.

Many carbon frames/forks severely restrict owners to very narrow ranges of tire widths; some people complain fitting a 25mm tire on their bike is pushing the limit.

There are heavier riders, and those that want to ride on rougher surfaces. A typical road bike with short reach calipers, properly designed, can easily fit 28mm tires, or larger. In many cases, it's the brake caliper that's limiting tire choices. The introduction of disc brakes had the potential to alleviate that problem and was in fact one of the touted advantages, but instead in many cases we're just seeing more of the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post

That's the width. His problem is the height of the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Whether a tire is tubed or tubeless will not change its dimensions. Manufacturers vary in how their listed dimension tires will actually measure so unfortunately, you'll have to try.

But if you find a 25mm tire that offers more clearance, then that's actually heading in the wrong direction from the tire you currently enjoy, isn't it?

I think your frame was poorly designed to take advantage of the tire clearance benefits derived from disc brakes. Some may say chainstay clearance is not a factor with regard to disc brakes, but I say the manufacturer could have done better than your severe limitations to even 25mm tires.
    I have to agree with Mr. P.

I have a '12 Madone with caliper brakes and even it has way more clearance than his disc bike frame (about 5mm) and I use the Conti 4kII 25mm tire. The Conti 4kII 28mm tire would not fit and only had around 1.5mm clearance at the caliper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Just put on some 650 wheels, GTG....~
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Seems like the width difference is in fact quite substantial. 1.8mm. Iíll add that the tubeless tire is quite a bit thicker than the regular one so I doubt that it will stretch much of at all.

Happy to report that after about 400km, the tires have not expanded at all. Gp5000tlís seem to be a good solution for tight clearances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast