Master Link Stuck...very stuck
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Master Link Stuck...very stuck

Ive been trying to get the master link off my chain for the last hour. So far I broke a pair of needle nose pliers, a hexkey, and a screwdriver. Its a two piece type with one pin on each side. Something like this

Any ideas? Im about to throw the whole bike out the window....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    just use a chain link tool and break both pins. Then go buy a replacement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    or get a master link pliers I have one and use it all the time it's very quick at opening the master link.
    Park Tool Co. MLP-1 : Master Link Pliers : Chain
    Remember it's mind over matter
    if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more drive less

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Finally got it. Used some wire and wrapped it around the link and pulled like crazy. My god....it would have been faster to take the whole chain apart and put it all back together again. Im going to have to pick up those master link pliers.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Ive been trying to get the master link off my chain for the last hour. So far I broke a pair of needle nose pliers, a hexkey, and a screwdriver. Its a two piece type with one pin on each side. Something like this

Any ideas? Im about to throw the whole bike out the window....
    Use two sets of needle-nose pliers. The Trick is to squeeze the plates together with one set, while using another set (with really fine jaws, so you can fit them between the plates) to apply pressure on the pins/rollers on either end. The link should squeeze together, then you twist the second set to free the plates from the pins. If the link is really dirty, that can make it difficult as well, so soak it down with WD40. And remember to de-tension the chain before you try to remove the link.
    This wheel's on fire/rollin' down the road

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem with pliars is they don't squeeze parallel so they slip off. Try 2 screwdrivers and squeeze them with 2 pliars top and bottom. Then you can squeeze the link parallel.

I made myself a set of link pliars from a pair of dog toenail clippers. Took a dremmel and ground it down to fit between the links and a round groove so it doesn't slip off. Links pop right open.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Moose > Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    I've had this same issue with master links in the past. Do yourself a favor and get the tool linked below.

Quote Originally Posted by ezdoesit View Post

Online Wheel Builder
    Back when I worked at the LBS I learned a trick that works every time. Use a pair of channel lock pliers. Pinch the chain exposing the quick link. Pliers will be flat, parallel with the ground. The angle of the pliers nose allows you to put pressure on the proper sides of the quick link and leaves a small gap so the link can snap apart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The SRAM 10 speed quick links can be difficult to get off. I have used the two driver or allen wrench method as illustrated in a previous post and also the channel lock method describe by ZenC. I then modified an old crimper into link pliers using a grinder. Finally, I got the Park link pliers. They all worked, but the last worked the best and is least likely to damage the link allowing it to be reused, which I do, for the life of the chain, removing and reinstalling it 8-10 times over the life of the chain for thorough cleaning or when packing the bike into a case for traveling. YMMV
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    EZ et al - thanks for the tip on the Master Link Pliers. $14.49 on Amazon with free shipping if you are a Prime member (which I am addicted to).

Amazon.com: Park Tool MLP-1 Master Link Pliers: Sports & Outdoors

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Im about to throw the whole bike out the window....
    What size is the bike?

RoadBikeReview Member

Reusable?

Some master links are not meant to be reusable. The Connex link is. You can easily undo the Connex link with your hands. I use Connex chains as well. I'm using an expensive one:

2013 Wippermann Connex 10SX 6.05mm Stainless Chain - Competitive Cyclist

that has stainless links and nickel plated outer links. It costs $80 but this summer I used it and Prolink chain lube and my chain is only showing 25% wear on my Park chain stretch tool after about 3,500 miles. I've used these chains for many years and always liked them.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

Previous:
    2001 Fisher Tassahara, Shimano 3x9 (given away)
    2004 Giant TCR-2, Shimano 105 2x9 (sold)
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway, Campagnolo Centaur 2x10 > 3x10 (stolen)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    By the standards of this group, I'm a below average mech. I have always hated the conex links because they were harder for me to break apart than to just use a chain tool. But I just finished breaking apart a worn chain that had a conex link using the tips. Just wanted to say thanks.