• 07-26-2019
    TKB
    MAVIC Customer Service Hell
    The rear hub on my Aksium wheels failed at the crappy plastic bushing after less than 3K miles. Just scream of death while on a charity ride about a month ago. Took it apart, identified the problem and tried to get a replacement part from mavic. This took over a month. My LBS tried and failed to get in touch with customer service and ultimately suggested I find a new hub online which I did.

MAVIC finally responded after 4-5 days to my email request for info. By that time, I'd already identified the part, talked to the retailer and had the new hub in my hands.

Today they made the mistake of sending a customer satisfaction survey. Here's my response......"You have absolutely the worst customer service. It is hard to identify the parts on your site, in fact they aren't available at all on the site. The response time for both me and my local bike shop was measured in WEEKS. That is just unacceptable in this day and age. I honestly don't know how you'll survive if that is what you think is customer service. Also, my hub failed at an engineering weak point. It would have been nice to know about it beforehand, maybe some attention or preventative maintenance would have prevented this. I will not ever buy a Mavic product. As soon as I can afford to, I'm replacing these wheels. Really, I'm not angry, just dumbfounded that you're still in business."
  • 07-26-2019
    TKB
    BTW props to Trek store in Wayne, PA for lending me a nice new Domane for several weeks, being conscientious about following up with me and doing the repair. The Domane is a nice ride, especially the wheels.

Also, Worldwide Cyclery online and brick/mortar retailer found and delivered my new hub. Really responsive guys.
  • 07-26-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TKB View Post
    The rear hub on my Aksium wheels failed at the crappy plastic bushing after less than 3K miles. Just scream of death while on a charity ride about a month ago. Took it apart, identified the problem and tried to get a replacement part from mavic. This took over a month. My LBS tried and failed to get in touch with customer service and ultimately suggested I find a new hub online which I did.

MAVIC finally responded after 4-5 days to my email request for info. By that time, I'd already identified the part, talked to the retailer and had the new hub in my hands.

Today they made the mistake of sending a customer satisfaction survey. Here's my response......"You have absolutely the worst customer service. It is hard to identify the parts on your site, in fact they aren't available at all on the site. The response time for both me and my local bike shop was measured in WEEKS. That is just unacceptable in this day and age. I honestly don't know how you'll survive if that is what you think is customer service. Also, my hub failed at an engineering weak point. It would have been nice to know about it beforehand, maybe some attention or preventative maintenance would have prevented this. I will not ever buy a Mavic product. As soon as I can afford to, I'm replacing these wheels. Really, I'm not angry, just dumbfounded that you're still in business."

Perhaps one of the reason for this is that Mavic was sold earlier this year to a US private equity firm, and often chaos ensue during the transition. I had a similar experience with Reynolds Cycling after they were acquired by Hayes late last year. I needed to replaced the rear hub shell on my Strike after a broken spoke pull through the flange. I was told they have the part, but could not sell it me due to new company policy and only offered me a discount to a new wheelset. This is particularly frustrating as I had previously purchased parts from Reynolds with no issues.

It'll be interesting to see if how Mavic respond to your survey, if at all.
  • 07-26-2019
    Marc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Perhaps one of the reason for this is that Mavic was sold earlier this year to a US private equity firm, and often chaos ensue during the transition. I had a similar experience with Reynolds Cycling after they were acquired by Hayes late last year. I needed to replaced the rear hub shell on my Strike after a broken spoke pull through the flange. I was told they have the part, but could not sell it me due to new company policy and only offered me a discount to a new wheelset. This is particularly frustrating as I had previously purchased parts from Reynolds with no issues.

It'll be interesting to see if how Mavic respond to your survey, if at all.

Mavic is renowned for this crap. Parts are hard to find, harder to order, and expensive...some of the many reasons Mavic products are unliked on this forum. Mavic's CS was crapola even before AMER bought them 10 years ago.
  • 07-26-2019
    Srode
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Perhaps one of the reason for this is that Mavic was sold earlier this year to a US private equity firm, and often chaos ensue during the transition.

Fortunately Enve wasn't part of that sale, they have great products IMHO.
  • 07-26-2019
    cxwrench
    Oddly enough the 'freehub' you needed...not the 'hub'...can be ordered quite easily from QBP. They're the largest bicycle parts distributor in the world and nearly every shop in the country has an account w/ them. I still hate Mavic, but it should have been very easy to order the part if it was actually needed. At 3000mi I doubt you had ruined the original, it most likely just needed to be cleaned and lubed. I can't count how many times I've done this.
  • 07-26-2019
    Peter P.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Oddly enough the 'freehub' you needed...not the 'hub'...can be ordered quite easily from QBP. They're the largest bicycle parts distributor in the world and nearly every shop in the country has an account w/ them.

One has to wonder why the OP's local shop didn't know this.

The hub "failure" is yet another reason to stay away from boutique wheels with proprietary parts. Not necessarily for the failure, but for the ease of obtaining replacement parts.
  • 07-26-2019
    mfdemicco
    MAVIC Customer Service Hell
    I vaguely remember that the squealing can be fixed by removing the freewheel and lightly lubing the plastic bushing. Fixed mine that way. Easy to do. Someone on eBay (the hub doctor?) even makes a kit to replace the bushing with a real bearing.

Edit: yeah, what cx wrote.
  • 07-26-2019
    MR_GRUMPY
    This is an easy fix. There are video's on YouTube on how to do this...
  • 07-26-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    This is an easy fix. There are video's on YouTube on how to do this...

Please end apostrophe abuse.
  • 07-27-2019
    frdfandc
    And just and FYI, you can get a bearing that replaces the bushing on Ebay. Done it before and it works well

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
  • 07-27-2019
    TKB
    Would be nice if they told someone that it needed lube. There was a gash/crack in the plastic bushing....
  • 07-27-2019
    TKB
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Bike is back in the shop. Went 1 mile and the noise was back and it would not freewheel. Looked down at 20 mph and the chain was relaxing on TOP of the chain stay....Stay tuned.
  • 07-28-2019
    MR_GRUMPY
    How to lube Mavic Aksium freehub bushing (a new wheel shouldn't need this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFzsBGGbTZU
  • 07-29-2019
    202cycle
    Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Bike is back in the shop. Went 1 mile and the noise was back and it would not freewheel. Looked down at 20 mph and the chain was relaxing on TOP of the chain stay....Stay tuned.

I think the problem may lie with your LBS.
  • 08-06-2019
    mfdemicco
    Was that flat washer in there? Might caused the freewheel to bind up if it were left out.
  • 08-06-2019
    Methodical
    Quote:

I read about their customer service problems and steered clear of those wheels.

I know a guy who had issues with his wheels and he stated that the cost to fix was pretty high - are the parts proprietary and only certain shops can do the repairs?