Mavic Freehub doesn't seem right
    RoadBikeReview Member

Mavic Freehub doesn't seem right

I just had the LBS swap a campy free hub for a Shimano on an '04 Kysirum SL. When spinning the wheel while holding the free hub, it seems somewhat stiff as if something we ever so slightly dragging. Mechanic said it's normal and don't worry about it. It didn't do this with the Campy hub...

Thoughts on what this can be?? They did grease things up and it looked to be an easy swap...
    You're not as smart as you think I am. Now just think about that for a minute.

Feb 2004

Probably the new seals...

Urp, urp, urp...

;>)

Ride it for a couple of hundred miles and it should loosen up.

PH

Chili hed & old bike fixr
    Quote Originally Posted by Dctrofspin
    I just had the LBS swap a campy free hub for a Shimano on an '04 Kysirum SL. When spinning the wheel while holding the free hub, it seems somewhat stiff as if something we ever so slightly dragging. Mechanic said it's normal and don't worry about it. It didn't do this with the Campy hub...

Thoughts on what this can be?? They did grease things up and it looked to be an easy swap...
    Probably would not hurt to remove the freehub body and make sure that there is some lube on all of the seal contact surfaces. That will make the seal last longer also as well as helping the seal work.

Jun 2004
    I just got off the phone with Pat Robertson. He said God is smiting you for switching from Campy to Shimano.

I know your ANTISEPTIC
    Your deodorant smells nice.

May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    I just got off the phone with Pat Robertson. He said God is smiting you for switching from Campy to Shimano.
    Didja happen to discuss with Pat the avatar/icon that you're using these days?

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by likeguymontag
    Didja happen to discuss with Pat the avatar/icon that you're using these days?
    He said it was cool 'cuz he thought Buddha was a dildo anyway.

I know your ANTISEPTIC
    Your deodorant smells nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    sounds as though the grease is too heavy. i like to use some phil's oil on the bushing portion of the freehub and some light grease (motorex prep-m) on the pawl portion use the grease sparingly as you can cause the pawls to become sluggish with too much.

Jan 2006

Not that your LBS is worthless or anything, but you might want to make sure that they didn't grease the pawls. Not sure who started that jackass fad, but I've known a few wrenches that believed they needed to grease the pawls of a freehub. Greasing the freebody mechanism will cause engagement problems - something light like a 10W motor oil or Tenacious Oil would be more correct.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    there's nothing incorrect about greasing the engagement area of the pawls, as it lasts longer than tenacious oil alone. it is however crucial that a small amount of very light grease is used, please post any verified info to the contrary as ive been greasing pawls without problems since '89. btw there are some hub manufacturers that sell specially formulated grease for the engagement area of freehubs (possibly starting this "fad").

RoadBikeReview Member

Actually, it was the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    This set of wheels was switched from shimano to Campy when I finally got my C50 equipped with a Record Grouppo. I just got a pair of Kysrium ES wheels for the Colnago and will put the SLs back on my Cannondale for crits. HOWEVER, since you bring it up, I made the switch due to the public scorn of having a Colnago with Japanese parts. Having made the switch I was completely at a loss as to why Campy lovers are so loyal. The brakes are considerably weaker than the D/A 7800s, the shifters are much stiffer and the shifts are not as crisp, I love being able to jump several cogs in one move with the Campy stuff, and there's no comparison on looks (carbon record just looks awsome), but overall, D/A is nicer to ride.

Having said that, I'm vain enough to keep the Campy on the Nag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When switching the freehub, its very important to remember to place the small washer that sits on top. It comes with the replacement, but may have been removed. Without it won't sit right.
    :-P

Apr 2005
    This set of wheels was switched from shimano to Campy when I finally got my C50 equipped with a Record Grouppo. I just got a pair of Kysrium ES wheels for the Colnago and will put the SLs back on my Cannondale for crits. HOWEVER, since you bring it up, I made the switch due to the public scorn of having a Colnago with Japanese parts. Having made the switch I was completely at a loss as to why Campy lovers are so loyal. The brakes are considerably weaker than the D/A 7800s, the shifters are much stiffer and the shifts are not as crisp, I love being able to jump several cogs in one move with the Campy stuff, and there's no comparison on looks (carbon record just looks awsome), but overall, D/A is nicer to ride.

Having said that, I'm vain enough to keep the Campy on the Nag.
    Dctrofspin,
    Sorry to wander off the topic but I was just curious to know what you think about the ESs.
    I like mine very much and enjoy having it on my main bike but does your free hub (prawls) click as loud as your SLs? I know my 05 SLs are noticably loud and my 06 ESs are almost silient. I ask because I noticed that a pair of ESs at a local LBS was just as loud as the SLs beside it. [Maybe the ES (and SL) had a dry free hub and were in need of some oiling.]

TIA,
    Mel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gremelm
    Dctrofspin,
    Sorry to wander off the topic but I was just curious to know what you think about the ESs.
    I like mine very much and enjoy having it on my main bike but does your free hub (prawls) click as loud as your SLs? I know my 05 SLs are noticably loud and my 06 ESs are almost silient. I ask because I noticed that a pair of ESs at a local LBS was just as loud as the SLs beside it. [Maybe the ES (and SL) had a dry free hub and were in need of some oiling.]

TIA,
    Mel
    The prawls are a good bit louder on the SLs....but these wheels have close to 15,000 miles on them. The ES's are very nice -- wonderful to look at and seem stiff and comfortable. Can't say I feel any huge difference between the wheels...the ES's just look great and I got a killer deal on Ebay ($720).

Apr 2005
    The prawls are a good bit louder on the SLs....but these wheels have close to 15,000 miles on them. The ES's are very nice -- wonderful to look at and seem stiff and comfortable. Can't say I feel any huge difference between the wheels...the ES's just look great and I got a killer deal on Ebay ($720).
    Thxs Dctrofspin.

Wow! That's a sweet deal. I got mine for about $870 new at BeyondBikes during a promotional discount back in Dec. I don't think I want to shell out $1100 for them!
    We're two lucky guys! :-D

Cheers,
    Mel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Be sure that your shop didn't use tri-flow on the pawls. The teflon in tri-flow will cause the bushing in the freehub body to swell, causing the classic sticky mavic freewheel action. Dumond Tech was recommended to me by Mavic. Any medium weight non- teflon lube is fine.