• 10-27-2013
    boidos
    Mavic freehub locking/jamming after 5-10 minutes riding
    Hi all I have a problem with some Mavic Cosmic SLE wheels I just bought. They came with a shimano freehub, so I just changed the freehub over to campy which I have done loads of times before.

When I go for a ride, the freehub locks up after 5-10 minutes, causing the chain to go slack and dangle into the spokes when I coast. I then have to keep pedaling to prevent any serious trouble. I can then take the freehub body off when I get home and re-lube everything, it will work ok for a while, but then jam after 5-10 minutes riding again.

I've cleaned and installed Mavic freehub bodies plenty of times, and know all about the proper lubes, 11 speed spacers on the freehub and the spacer in the freehub, etc.
    The bike was working perfectly before with campy chorus 11 speed and some campagnolo shamals.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    cheers!
  • 10-27-2013
    Kontact
    Did the washer end up in the right place?
  • 10-27-2013
    boidos
    Hi there, yes the washers seems to be ok
  • 10-27-2013
    cxwrench
    Any chance the lockring is making contact w/ the frame?
  • 10-27-2013
    pmt
    Do it do the same thing on one of your other bikes?
  • 10-27-2013
    boidos
    Hi, the lockring is not making contact with the frame, I can pedal normally, its just when I stop and try to coast, the cassette doesnt freewheel so the chain goes slack.
    I have tried it on a few bikes now...I found another thread on a google search with someone who had the same issue, but a resolution wasnt ever posted..
  • 10-28-2013
    cxwrench
    Send a PM to maviczack, (I think that's his screen name), he works at Mavic and might be able to help.
  • 10-28-2013
    boidos
    thanks, will do
  • 10-28-2013
    berndrea
    free hub on to tight?
  • 10-28-2013
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by berndrea View Post
    free hub on to tight?

What? That's not possible given what we know about the OP's hub.
  • 10-28-2013
    berndrea
    What about the springs on the inside of the free hub assembly? Maybe one of the springs has lost tension. This happened on my old M10 for my 2007 Ksyriums
  • 10-30-2013
    Maviczack
    Hi All,
    I have to confess this is the first time I've ever heard of a case like this. It's very peculiar that the problem arises only after 5-10 min of riding. (If I was one of the guys from Car Talk, I would say, don't ride for more than 10 minutes!! problem solved! ha ha).

In all seriousness, I would say, look into any and all possible impediments to the freehub moving smoothly:
    - all springs and pawls in place, seated properly, not migrating
    - rear main seal - intact, seated properly (not reversed!! it IS directional)
    - plastic spoke protector behind the cogs - take it off to test for interference or binding
    - freehub bushing - not damaged or abrading the hub shell
    - finally ... what temperature are you riding in? extreme cold has been known to cause the freehub to get "sticky" even when lubed properly with 10w mineral oil (I hope that's what you're using!!). DuMonde Tech freehub oil works better in extreme low temperatures.

Let's start with that and see how it goes ... PM is the best way to reach me since I get email notifications.
    best regards - zack
  • 04-05-2019
    Leblancrj
    Hi,
    Was there ever any resoloution to this problem. As odd as it is I have the exact samething happening.
    Thanks.
    Robert