Max tire width for 2001 specialized allez....
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Max tire width for 2001 specialized allez....

Trying to put my old 2001 Specialized Triple to use as a general purpose commuter/around town bike. Have some cont 23mm 4-season tires on it now inflated to 100psi. It has short reach Ultegra brakes (9sp era).

The ride is still kind of harsh and wondering how wide a tire I can go with it. Any recommendations on a tire that would smooth out the ride a little....

PS: Cleaned out the parts drawer, it has ritchey aluminum bars and stem, thomoson seat post, and 32 spoke shimano 105 wheels. everything else is Ultegra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Measure it

Quote Originally Posted by spepic
    Trying to put my old 2001 Specialized Triple to use as a general purpose commuter/around town bike. Have some cont 23mm 4-season tires on it now inflated to 100psi. It has short reach Ultegra brakes (9sp era).
    The most likely limit on tire size is fork clearance, or possibly clearance to the rear brake bridge. Simply measure how much clearance you have, leave yourself a few mm cushion, and there you have it. Any increase in tire size will add directly to the height of the tire, so if you have 5mm clearance and you go to a 25mm tire, then you would have 3 mm clearance left. Recognize that not all tires are the actual width/height of their claimed size, so that has to play into it as well.