MCross

Thread: MCross

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

MCross

I redid my Giant NRS to be my MonsterCross bike. It is great, we have gravel roads around here, but they are more like jagged rocks and outcroppings with washboards. The giant has a 22-44 triple crank with 11-34 9 spd & 26" wheels.

I'm thinking of updating to a modern FS MBike and do the same thing. I really need the top & bottom end of the gearing I have now.

Question: Is there a particular shimano mountain groupset that comes on a recent MB that can be operated by a shimano road groupset?

It will probably be a used 29'er with double crank and I'm thinking the rear cassette needs to be big. I think the hydro brakes is easily done, but RD pull ratio is an issue.

Is this doable?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I redid my Giant NRS to be my MonsterCross bike. It is great, we have gravel roads around here, but they are more like jagged rocks and outcroppings with washboards. The giant has a 22-44 triple crank with 11-34 9 spd & 26" wheels.

I'm thinking of updating to a modern FS MBike and do the same thing. I really need the top & bottom end of the gearing I have now.

Question: Is there a particular shimano mountain groupset that comes on a recent MB that can be operated by a shimano road groupset?

It will probably be a used 29'er with double crank and I'm thinking the rear cassette needs to be big. I think the hydro brakes is easily done, but RD pull ratio is an issue.

Is this doable?
    Have you considered posting this in MOUNTAIN BIKE Review?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Thks Kerry, did that.
    I kinda made a decision.... ... looking at a used Trek Fuel X8 on saturday, 3x?, FS. I got most the parts.
    I decided the lever/shifter thing was too much so the plan....
    Go with top or down tube friction shifters and get some Tiagra/Sora/105 hydro shifters off ebay and just not use the shifter part.
    Thoughts?
    BANNED