Multi-bike use of a Garmin 305
    RoadBikeReview Member

Multi-bike use of a Garmin 305

Hi there.
    I have a Garmin Edge 305 that I use on 3 different bikes: road; commuter; mountain.
    The other day, I took the mountainbike out to a state park and rode some singletrack. Before the ride, I switched the bike profile on the unit to "Bike 2" - my 28 pound dualie.
    I followed up in Sunday with a ride on my 18 pound road bike, but forgot to switch back to the "Bike 1" profile (which also has the wheel sensor and cadance pickups - I don't have those on the mtb.).
    On that ride, I recorded the highest average speed that I've seen in several years -- yes, I was pushing it with some faster riders, but I wonder if the numbers could be off.
    Despite the fact that it was set to Bike 2, and I was on Bike 1, I seem to have recorded cadance just fine on the ride. However, are the data suspect for the ride? Would there be any issues with my distance/avg speed/elevation gain/whatever? Everything seemed pretty reasonable, but I wonder.
    Anyone know??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina
    Hi there.
    I have a Garmin Edge 305 that I use on 3 different bikes: road; commuter; mountain.
    The other day, I took the mountainbike out to a state park and rode some singletrack. Before the ride, I switched the bike profile on the unit to "Bike 2" - my 28 pound dualie.
    I followed up in Sunday with a ride on my 18 pound road bike, but forgot to switch back to the "Bike 1" profile (which also has the wheel sensor and cadance pickups - I don't have those on the mtb.).
    On that ride, I recorded the highest average speed that I've seen in several years -- yes, I was pushing it with some faster riders, but I wonder if the numbers could be off.
    Despite the fact that it was set to Bike 2, and I was on Bike 1, I seem to have recorded cadance just fine on the ride. However, are the data suspect for the ride? Would there be any issues with my distance/avg speed/elevation gain/whatever? Everything seemed pretty reasonable, but I wonder.
    Anyone know??
    The only thing I could see being affected by the "wrong" weight is the estimate of calories burned. The GPS should take care of speed/distance/elevation and is independent of weight.
    A scary thing heard at the Driver's License office:
    "No sir, those are numbers..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSalas
    The only thing I could see being affected by the "wrong" weight is the estimate of calories burned. The GPS should take care of speed/distance/elevation and is independent of weight.
    I agree.... it is a GPS, so the speed and distance would be the same... but the calories would be wrong, but the 305 doesn't really do a good job of that calculation anyway.

I haven't even set up the different bike modes... I have several bikes I ride and the 305 works great just transfering between bikes and keeping track of things.. I've been really happy with mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    The only thing that could through off your speed and distance is if you are using the wheel magnet sensor and the size of the wheel is different. If you are tracking speed with the gps you are fine.
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks all. I guess it's good to know that perhaps there's some pepper left in these legs after all!

Yeah, I always figured calories burned is sort of a rough estimate anyway.