Must have tools for carbon bike buildup
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Must have tools for carbon bike buildup

I am building up a carbon frame this winter. On a budget of course (who isn't). I am planning on getting a cassette lockring, and bottom bracket tool, and a strain guage torque tool. I was just going to go with a 5Nm torque key for seat/steerer tube, but would like to be able to torque my crank bolts appropriately too, so looking for something on the cheap that'll fit both bills (although the torque key may still be a good investment).

I am going to DIY headset press with a threaded rod, washers and some plywood.

Anything specific im missing? my groupset should be here by the end of the week

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Where are you going to get a strain gauge torque tool?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Same question I would like to get an Allen key with torque but I could not find.
    Appreciate your help in letting us know the place to buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    wrong terminology? i meant the ones with the pin/bar that deflects depending on how much torque is being applied

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84
    wrong terminology? i meant the ones with the pin/bar that deflects depending on how much torque is being applied
    That's the beam type. Another popular type is the micrometer torque wrench.

I use two torque wrenches for bike work and some more for working on cars. The 1/4" Park TW-1 is good for low torque applications and the Park 3/8" TW-2 is good for higher torque applications such as bottom brackets and pedals. ACE Hardware sells a nice 1/4" Allen bit set for about $20 that complements the TW-1 nicely.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...628680.1259470

Good luck on your build!
    Last edited by 6-Speed; 10-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Vice grips, needle-nose type.

Grease for threaded connections...Phil Wood grease is good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    For carbon assembly you will most definitely need carbon paste (I use tacx). NEVER put reg. grease on any interface where carbon is involved.

For a torque wrench I don't think you can beat this craftsman.
    http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...&blockType=L10
    Not exactly budget but it is good quality and came at the recommendation of 2 mechanics I use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    A large hammer, duct tape, old channelock pliers and dull hacksaw. With that you can build anything.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    You'll probably need a crown-race setting device. (If you're going to use a starnut in a metal fork steerer, you need a starnut setter as well.) Both tools can be home-made.

Agree with the carbon paste recommnedation. It increases friction, allowing less torque on clamp bolts where carbon is being clamped. But regular grease won't hurt carbon, as the NEVER admonition could have you think. After all, so-called carbon paste is regular grease with friction enhancers mixed into it.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    double post, sorry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Whether or not you have a metal or carbon steerer tube, you could use an expander plug which doesn't require additional tools other than allen wrenches. I use them on all mine and my wife's bikes and have never had a problem.