mystery "clicking" sound
    RoadBikeReview Member

mystery "clicking" sound

Hoping someone can diagnose over the web....

I have a 6 week old Pinarello Galileo with Centaur. pedals are Look Keo Sprint. I have the red cleats with 9 degrees of play.

recently have noticed a very light ( but increasingly annoying ) clicking type sound. I hear it on the left side as I begin each downward pedal stroke. the sound doesn't occur until I've been riding 5 minutes or so. seems to originate from the pedal area so I've checked cleats and pedals to ensure everything is tightened securely. I've also adjusted the tension of the pedal but it too seems to make no difference. nothing feels loose when pedaling or when the bike is parked. but the tiny "click....click....click" is going to make me nuts!

any ideas?

thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    sounds are hard to localize--not familiar with the model of bike, but if the rear derailleur hanger is replacable and is a bit loose it can cause a click like you desbribed. Check it as well as the rear derailleur itself. Tightening the rear quick release a bit more can also affect it

Aug 2005
    I had a similar click sound coming from my left pedal. I knew it was the pedal because when I changed pedals it stopped. I lubed the pedals, but it didn't help. One day I removed the pedals, cleaned them thoroughly, using a pipe cleaner to get all the nooks and crannies. Then I doused them in chain lube. So much it was dripping off, I wanted to make sure the lube got into every contact point, spring, screw, etc. Wiped off the excess lube and no more clicking. What really got me into doing such a thorough job was when my right pedal also started clicking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Some thoughts:
    - Front der cable end making contact with shoe or crank arm
    - Loose pedal bearing cups
    - Loose BB cups (check lock rings, if applicable aren't cracked)
    - Loose crank arm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Noisy issues

Quote Originally Posted by mark4501
    recently have noticed a very light ( but increasingly annoying ) clicking type sound. I hear it on the left side as I begin each downward pedal stroke. the sound doesn't occur until I've been riding 5 minutes or so. seems to originate from the pedal area so I've checked cleats and pedals to ensure everything is tightened securely. I've also adjusted the tension of the pedal but it too seems to make no difference. nothing feels loose when pedaling or when the bike is parked. but the tiny "click....click....click" is going to make me nuts!
    It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    What kind of wheels are you using?

The reason I'm asking is that I just went through the same thing. I have Ksyrium SL wheels and put a drop of Triflow around each spoke where they attach to the hub on the non-driveside. I also greased the skewers and the dropouts. Click was gone the next ride, but I think this is something I will have to do a couple days a week.

I had replaced the pedals as I was sure that was where the sound was coming from, but it was the rear wheel.

You will probably have to try a whole bunch of stuff, then the click will go away, and you won't know which fix did it, so I suggest trying one thing at a time....
    Last edited by Dinosaur; 09-24-2007 at 09:05 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds are very hard to trace the exact location of its origin. Try a little lube where the spokes cross, occasionally my bike clicks a little and it is the spokes rubbing.

Making memories

Centaur Again?

Have the same problem with my 07 Centaur equipped bike and posted a very similar question several weeks ago. I did all the stuff Kerry Irons suggested and it didn't go away. The bike shops couldn't locate it either. From an earlier post this summer a guy fixed his mysterious clicking/creaking (also on the down stroke on the left side) by cleaning and lubing and tightening his pedals. That didn't work for me. Different pedals, same result. SO, I'll continue to check everything else and just learn to live with the annoyance....but it gets so bloody annoying! Best of luck to you.

Jul 2007
    My '07 Centaur UT crank is doing the same thing as well...
    Some minds are like concrete...thoroughly mixed up and permanently set!

'07 Tarmac Expert, Campy Chorus 10spd

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).
    The above quote is a good start to trying to fix a click or other noise. Noises can also be caused by cable housings touching each other or the frame, cable housings rubbing handlebar under tape, brifter mountings needing lube and tightening, air valve rubbing rim opening, spoke nipples rubbing openings, spokes crossing, rim joins on pinned rims, etc. If you try the obvious suggestions here and nothing works, I suggest you attack one area, ride for a while, if that doesn't work go to the next area, then ride for a while, etc. As an example, day 1, WHEELS: Remove wheels, tires, tubes and skewers. Lube all spoke crossings, nipple holes, QR parts, etc. Put it back together and ride for a couple days. If you still have the noise then attack something else, say, handlebar/head area. Disassemble it all, lube it all (including cable housing channels in bar), reassemble and adjust all. This can take a while, but it is less frustrating and more thorough than trying to do it all at once.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my problem is resolved as far as I know. initially seemed to be pedal issue but no matter what I did with pedals no resolution. then I took old pedals off old bike and tried them, which ruled out the pedals as the sounds still existed. after checking the entire bike for loose screws, cracked frame, cracked components, I decided to put in the hands of the pros. my LBS also checked it over for loose screws, frame cracks, etc. and found nothing. they decided to open up the bottom bracket and determined it was low on grease and gave it a hearty lube job. I went for a 25 minute ride tonight, which is all I could squeeze in before getting dark ( I like fall temps, but I hate how it gets dark so early!) and didn't hear any awful sounds coming from my bike. I'll test it further this weekend with a longer ride(s) but I feel the issue is taken care of.

thanks everyone for your input. this forum is awesome for information gathering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Try a good cleaning of your driveline....I thought it was my Ksyrium SL wheels. My bike has been clicking for about two months. I pulled off the chain, dunked it in mineral spirits and re-lubed. Scrubed the chain rings with a tooth brush. Pulled off the skewers, wiped off the old grease, wiped them down dry. Cleaned the rollers. Now everything is nice and quite. Sometimes a good cleaning will do wonders.