Narrowest 9-speed or widest 10-speed chain for use with 10-speed crankset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Narrowest 9-speed or widest 10-speed chain for use with 10-speed crankset

So I just swapped out my 9-speed 105 triple for a 10-speed 105 5650 compact double using the all the old 9-speed components. Currently running a SRAM PG-951 chain that is 6.8mm wide. Have everything adjusted and shifting correctly, measured the chainline and it is within spec (43.5mm). The problem I am having is that while on the 34 ring and in any of the 4 smallest cogs in the back (12,13,14,15) the chain is rubbing on the inside of the large ring and even catching on the pins in the smallest cog and picking up and dropping the chain. Some of this is to be expected but I don't think having half of cassette inaccessible is normal. Obviously the chain is too wide for the 10-speed crankset specs on this particular model. I know on the newer 5750 cranksets they moved the chainrings further apart again to alleviate this problem, but I would like to make this set up work for now. I think my options are using a narrower 9-speed chain or one of the wider 10-speed chains. The narrowest 9-speed chain I can find is the Shimano HG73 "super narrow" at ~6.6mm, which isn't significantly narrower. All the 10-speed chains I find are now sub 6mm. I am currently using the 9-speed triple derailer which is shifting fine and would rather not replace that unless it is absolutely necessary so a chain in the 6.2-6.4 range would be ideal.

Adventure Seeker
    You'd been better to pair it with a 5700 or 6700 crankset.
    I have a single track mind

Happily absent RBR Member
    Use a 10 speed chain, put a spacer under your right BB cup, or buy an 8 speed inner ring. The 10 chain is narrower, but will work on the 9 cassette, or the 8 speed ring will move the chain further inboard on the inner ring. The spacer will move the whole chainline right, which will also aleviate the problem.

It will probably always rub on the 12 and 13, though. Not gears you should be in with the inner ring.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

breathe in,out; repeat
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post

It will probably always rub on the 12 and 13, though. Not gears you should be in with the inner ring.
    This is my thought as well. If you're going to be in that spot, just move up a couple cogs and switch to the big ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by j.carney.tx View Post
    This is my thought as well. If you're going to be in that spot, just move up a couple cogs and switch to the big ring.
    That is understood, as I mentioned in the original post, it is the rubbing in the 14 and 15 cogs that worries me. I ended up purchasing a 5750 compact crankset which will hopefully solve the problem, also considering using a single spacer on the driver side bottom bracket to get a tiny bit wider on the chainline.

Steaming piles of opinion
    You can use any 10-speed chain. Hell, you can use an 11 speed chain if you want to waste the money.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..