Nashbar Compact Cranks and What front der. to use on any compact set up
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Post Nashbar Compact Cranks and What front der. to use on any compact set up

Hey, I saw the nashbar compact crank on sale for $79 any good?

also for anyone using a compact crank, what front derailer to use? Road double, triple or mountain, and I want to use sti. thanks Jfn3
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Fd

Quote Originally Posted by jfn3
    Hey, I saw the nashbar compact crank on sale for $79 any good?

also for anyone using a compact crank, what front derailer to use? Road double, triple or mountain, and I want to use sti. thanks Jfn3
    Road front double works. Shimano with STI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

derailleurs

I have compact double on 3 bikes. On two I have 105 double front and DA double rear derailleurs. I have not proved it scientifically, but the rumor is that the 105 double front has slightly different dimensions than either the double Ultegra or the DA front and actually works better in applications with a compact crank. These compact cranks with these derailleurs work perfectly on my bikes. My third bike has an Ultegra double front and I get more chain rub with it than I do on the bikes with the 105. I have just ordered another 105 to replace the Ultegra. On the subject of the Nashbar compact crank, I have no expereince with that particular brand. But I can't imagine it would not work perfectly as do my yellowjersey.org Sugino, my Stronglight Impact, or my Ritchey WCS.

Bored beyond belief.

Made by RPM.

They're nice cranks. I've used them on two bikes. Ditto what others have said about the 105 front d--it seems to work best. I've also successfully used an older Suntour front, but it took some tweaking. The 105 works great. Paired with a generous casette choice, you'll have most of the advantages of a triple without the weight penalty or cost of new shifters (more important that the weight).

Good luck,
    Scott
    Scott Needle

No one respects the flame quite like the fool who's badly burned