Need bigger GEARS
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Need bigger GEARS

Would there be any downside to using a XT Di2 RD-M8050 Rear Derailleur on a road bike with a 34 cassette, it is rated for 11-42. I would need to get a 50-34 road? front derailuer to interface with the cranks.

I just need more gears and thinking of building a 'mountain' road bike.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    An Ultegra GS 8050 will handle 11/36 easily on my RLT9 - If you are planning on using an 11/34 you wouldn't have any issues with that set up, don't need an XT RDR
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The one I listed is Di2, just released, 11 spd. So I guess I'll need a FD, chainrings, RD, shifters, etc.
    I guess a road 11 spd chain is the same as 11 spd mt?
    BANNED

Rub it............
    How about also going sub-compact crank? 48/32?
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    The one I listed is Di2, just released, 11 spd. So I guess I'll need a FD, chainrings, RD, shifters, etc.
    I guess a road 11 spd chain is the same as 11 spd mt?
    They're different.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I got a Time CF that I'm thinking of turning into my Mountain Road bike.
    It has a road KForce FSA crank with standard BB (where you use the big wrench on the bearing caps).
    If I got a full Di2 MBike 11spd, could I put 50/34 11spd chainrings on it and use the clamp on Di2 MBike FD?

The problem is I want to run 11/34. The chain delta is just too much now. The chain is very loose when I get in the small gears in the small ring. If I go subcrank, I don't think that is going to help this situation. I still want an 11 when I go down!!!!

I guess I could get a new subcrank for my Pino and just change the crank/chain for the mts and run a 48/32? I looked at the Pino Di2 FD, and it looks like there might be some play to move it down a little, would it be enough? I don't know.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    It has a road KForce FSA crank with standard BB (where you use the big wrench on the bearing caps).
    If I got a full Di2 MBike 11spd, could I put 50/34 11spd chainrings on it and use the clamp on Di2 MBike FD?

The problem is I want to run 11/34. The chain delta is just too much now. The chain is very loose when I get in the small gears in the small ring. If I go subcrank, I don't think that is going to help this situation. I still want an 11 when I go down!!!!

I guess I could get a new subcrank for my Pino and just change the crank/chain for the mts and run a 48/32? I looked at the Pino Di2 FD, and it looks like there might be some play to move it down a little, would it be enough? I don't know.
    If you have an 8050 GS cage it shouldn't be a problem with the right length chain, that DR is supposed to handle an 11/34. With that rear you can also enable gear control in Etube to prevent small front and the 2 smallest rear combos or you can use full syncro-shift if you have one of the new batteries.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    My road bike by design was a compact 50/34 Shimano 105 11 speed. I put XT Shimano cassette on it 40-11, (options would have allowed me up to an 11 speed 46 cassette) and added a Tanpan plus the appropriate XT Shimano MB rear derailleur. There was no need to change the front derailleur.

I've ridden many miles and climbs of a whole variety of grades and the bike shifts fine.
    Last edited by GlobalGuy; 03-28-2019 at 08:28 PM.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid

No, you can't put 50/34 on the mtb crank. And you need smaller gears not bigger. You mean bigger cogs.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I was thinking using a RCrank & RDi2FD & Rbrakes, Rwheels and cassette, MDi2RD.
    BANNED