RoadBikeReview Member

Need help finding triple chainring set

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to find a 53/39/30 chain ring set for my Wife's 2007 Tarmac Expert. (https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=16681) She's still running the stock FSA SL-K crankset shown in the pic.

Any ideas? I know triples have been out of fashion for quite a while now, but someone's got to still be selling them, or is my search-foo just sucking today?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Shimano still makes triple cranksets if you go down to the Tiagra groupset: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Tiagr.../dp/B015VQBOY8

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'll check when I get in to the shop and see what FSA has available, they don't shift as well as Shimano but if you want to match the crank they're ok.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check eBay for new/old stock. There are still probably some older Shimano 105 and Ultegra (5603 and 6603) triple cranks out there.

If all else fails, the Tiagra 4703 that LosGatosRider linked should work.

I'll second CX that the Shimano cranks shift smoother than FSA. If your BB is not Hollowtech II, there are converters made by Wheels Manufacturing and Praxis that can solve this problem.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not looking to replace the cranks, just need new rings.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Surfinguru, understand that you'd rather just replace the rings. In that case, you probably want to stick with FSA. But... really, why? Arguably, the Shimano Tiagra is an upgrade and the crankset is less than $120 on Amazon. As Lombard said, you might also need to modify your bottom bracket but if so that isn't too big a deal, especially if you're capable of doing the work yourself. If you take it to your LBS, the whole job would probably be less than $300... and your wife would thank you. If you do check out that option, let us know what they quote you for the job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Lombard, for a friend's bike that had worn rings on a 105 5603 crankset, I recently went through this exercise. Discovered that you really can't find even individual rings for 5603 anymore. However, though it took some digging, I was able to find a full 5703 crankset (new) that we subbed in for her rather beat-up 5603 and it worked great. My LBS had just had a similar bike brought in to them and they opted for the 4703, with the rationale that the 5703 is discontinued and they couldn't support it down the line. But you CAN still find individual 5703 rings. I think the FC-5703 ran about $160 more than the Tiagra 4703.

RoadBikeReview Member
    LGRider, I had a lengthy post qued up and forgot to send before the reply timed out.....

Anyway, thanks for the input. I was hoping to keep it as close to stock as possible and not get too far down the road of mismatched groupset, but hey, it's a bike from 2007. Looks like the only real option is the go with the Tiagra 4703 to keep the triple chainring setup. Now we'll have Ultegra brifters, Ultegra FD, Dura Ace RD and now Tiagra crankset. Oh well, as long as it keep her stoked and on the road, life is good. I just can't justify the costs of migrating to a 2x11 given how little she actually rides it.

Thanks guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was in search of silver 175 mm road triple crankset 10 days ago. Here is my finding after searching for two weeks in all European On-line sources.

I was unable to find a single Campagnolo Athena triple 175 mm cranks. I think I saw 172,5 mm ones only on one place.

Dura-Ace FC-7803 and Ulegra FC-6703 10sp I saw only one of each in 172,5 mm.

105 FC-5703 silver I found only one in 175 mm that I bought. On the other hand black are still pleanty available in all dimensions.

FC-4603 you can find pleanty.

Anyway...I wanted to treat myself with Dura-ace 7803 but could find it anywhere in the world. Same thing with Ultegra 6703. At the end I barely found 5703 in silver.

Similar is with front derailleurs. Campagnolo Athena triple...no way. Ultegra and 105 silver...you have to do a serious search. Black 105 fd-5703 and fd-4603 can be found.

If like me you have Campagnolo Ultrashift...good luck finding long cage Athena rear derailleur.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Don't know if this is too late, but Ribble has Tiagra 4703 for $76, and Wiggle has 105 5703 for $161.

Rub it............
    It's probably going to cost close to a new crankset for a set of chainrings. I would just go with the Tiagra crank and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I have a good used 6703 collecting dust. has about 6000 miles on it. Make me an offer.