Need Pump to replace Topeak Joe Blow II
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Need Pump to replace Topeak Joe Blow II

Looking to replace my 10 year old Topeak Joe Blow II pump thats worked well over the years.

I'm considering the Joe Blow Sport III, Lezyne Steel Floor Drive, and Specialized Air Tool SwitchHitter II.

What do you guys use?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both Topeak Joe Blow and Lezyne Alloy floor pump. While Topeak works fine, I find myself using the Lezyne far more. It requires fewer strokes and the chuck works better.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I've had a couple Lezyne floor pumps and they are really good. The one I use now lives outside and has worked flawlessly for years.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you run any tubeless set ups, I found the Joeblow Booster works really well popping tires onto the rim, no longer need to use my air compressor.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Rub it............
    I have a Joe Blow Pro that's about 8 years old. Just picked up a new Bontrager Flash Charger. Mostly for tubeless setup, but works just as well as a regular pump. I'll use the Pro as a travel pump.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I've had a couple Lezyne floor pumps and they are really good. The one I use now lives outside and has worked flawlessly for years.
    Which Lezyne do you recommend, steel, alloy or other model?

I'm not terrible impressed with Joe Blow pumps.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    The first two are great pumps, the third one I don't know much about it but it appears to be good. For The Lezyne I would recommend the steel one over the alloy because should the pump fall and hit something on the tube the alloy will dent easier than steel, and once that happens you'll need to get a new pump.

I bought the Birzman Maha Apologee something or another, weird names Birzman gave their pumps, anyways it's a nice pump, I got it on sale at $40 which now the retail price is up around $80, so I would not buy that pump today for that price because I don't think it's $40 or so better than Lezyne or the Topeak. Which one of those to get you scream, I don't know, flip a coin! You're not going to go wrong with either.

There is another pump on the market that looks really cool and was reviewed highly at a site, but it's called the Velowurks Prime Floor Pump which sells for around $60 on Amazon; see this review: https://roadbikeaction.com/tested-ve...me-floor-pump/ I can't tell what the barrel is made of though, so you may have to ask the Amazon community about it. If you get the Velowurks check to make sure that the seller is an authorized dealer for Velowurks because a lot of what Amazon sells is not and if a warranty issue comes up you could be screwed, so another question for Amazon community. Always ask each question by itself, don't tag two questions on one question slot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Just wanted to update yall, ended up going to the lbs and got the specialized aircomp switchhitter for $40, msrp. It has a single hole for Presta and Schrader and doesn't require screwing down or looking to see which side goes for Presta everytime. I've used it 5 times already and so far so good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    Just wanted to update yall, ended up going to the lbs and got the specialized aircomp switchhitter for $40, msrp. It has a single hole for Presta and Schrader and doesn't require screwing down or looking to see which side goes for Presta everytime. I've used it 5 times already and so far so good.
    Was it on sale? I think my LBS had those on sale this week along with Specialized tires; if you need some great tires a lot of those Specialized tires are very good tires and now they're at a buy one get the second for 1/2 price, so I got another set of Roubaix Pro because I got the last set on sale and they were very nice tires. Anyway I saw that pump you got at the LBS yesterday and it looks really well made, so I think you did well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Was it on sale? I think my LBS had those on sale this week along with Specialized tires; if you need some great tires a lot of those Specialized tires are very good tires and now they're at a buy one get the second for 1/2 price, so I got another set of Roubaix Pro because I got the last set on sale and they were very nice tires. Anyway I saw that pump you got at the LBS yesterday and it looks really well made, so I think you did well.
    unfortunately not, what a ripoff!!! Paid $40 + NYC Tax = $43.xx

It was a matter of paying full price for this one, getting a topeak @ Amazon price + 2 day delivery, or wait until i find a deal but then i didn't have a pump to use until then. i passed on my fully working 10 year old Topeak joe blow sport 2 to fam.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

I'm considering the Joe Blow Sport III,
    Mine lasted only a few months. I read a lot of reviews from people who had Joe Blows last a long time so either they started cutting corners or mine was a fluke. Either way it sucked so I can't recommend it.

This is what I replaced it with and it's the best pump I've ever used: https://pedros.com/products/tools/wh...ge-floor-pump/

However I've only had it for about one year so the jury is out on longevity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Joe Blow only lasting a few months? That really does blow! my god I had Walmart pump I paid $16 for that lasted a couple of years!

Most good pumps between $50 to $80 should last at least 15 years, but I had a Silca Super Pista track pump that I bought in the early 80's, it lasted 20 years but it needs a complete rebuild kit including a new psi gauge, but that rebuild kit is as much, and more, as a new pump! so I decided on a new pump because the old one after 20 years was getting a bit long in the tooth, stuff that the rebuild kit wouldn't address; and that's why it's not worth it to buy an expensive pump in my opinion. I think, note I said think, that my Birzman should last 15 to 20 years, I've had it for about 3 years and so far so good; I took a chance on that Birzman because not much is know about that brand in the USA, but for the price I got it for I felt the chance was worth taking.

Slowski
    I've been looking at Lezyne pumps for a while now to replace my old but still functional Blackburn pump. I came across an alloy one that had some shop use and the shop sold it to me at 50%.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    The thing about the Joe Blows is that repair parts are available for it. Good luck fixing your Specialized or whatever other pump you've got when a part wears out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    The thing about the Joe Blows is that repair parts are available for it. Good luck fixing your Specialized or whatever other pump you've got when a part wears out.
    thanks for the luck, although i'm 100% sure i won't need it for these reasons:
    -i've never had a pump break on me
    -it was $40, i'll just buy another pump. Who repairs pumps????

Neophyte
    Going on several years of use with Steel Floor Drive, working great.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    I've been looking at Lezyne pumps for a while now to replace my old but still functional Blackburn pump. I came across an alloy one that had some shop use and the shop sold it to me at 50%.

BTW, whatever happened to Blackburn? I still have a large frame pump of theirs, and it's still by far the best frame pump I've ever owned. Their bike racks were great, too.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    BTW, whatever happened to Blackburn?

http://lmgtfy.com
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    I had a Joe Blow Pro start to leak air on me after four years in service. I ignored it for one season but recently I couldn't even keep up with air leakage furiously pumping away and not getting anywhere. I called them and ordered the valve/gauge which was one unit. Used a mallot to bang out the old gauge, new gauge in, screws down and I was in back in business. The parts cost a little more than I would have liked but it's still ticking.

My next pump will be a fancy alu lezyne.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I had a Joe Blow Pro start to leak air on me after four years in service. I ignored it for one season but recently I couldn't even keep up with air leakage furiously pumping away and not getting anywhere. I called them and ordered the valve/gauge which was one unit. Used a mallot to bang out the old gauge, new gauge in, screws down and I was in back in business. The parts cost a little more than I would have liked but it's still ticking.

I may have had the same problem. They used some kind of grease which caused corrosion and it leaked. I think if I just cleaned things up and replaced O rings, I could have fixed it without spending money for a new gage.

[REDACTED]
    Maybe you should start playing the lottery. Seriously, I go through pumps like water. The one I have now is a Cannondale. Don't know who actually makes it. It has lasted longer than any other pump I've owned. However, it occasionally "kicks back" as in the check valve apparently doesn't seal after pushing down and it pushes back up. I replaced the chuck once to solve a different problem, but the "kick back" remained.

Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    BTW, whatever happened to Blackburn?
    I bought a Blackburn pump online once. It hardly moved any air from the start. I sent it back.

Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post

I see people here rave about how awesome Lezyne pumps are. However, I see quite a few negative reviews online on these.

Last edited by Lombard; 06-05-2019 at 04:31 AM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Going on several years of use with Steel Floor Drive, working great.
    Same, no complaints with mine either. I will say that I upgraded the chuck to the ABS2 and I like it much better than the one that was included. Doesn't seem to be available on their site anymore though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I have an old Silca track pump (from old Silca, not the new company). Some people rave about these pumps saying that they last forever and parts are available for it. Over the years, this pump has given me a lot of trouble. The chuck rubber gasket wears out fast and then leaks. The pump leather wears and dries out and needs replacing so you get blow by. The check valve sticks open from leather chips from the pump leather that migrates into it and the cheap o-ring on it hardens and leaks over time. I've used these pumps on centuries and bike tours and found in almost every case they need servicing and don't work or work poorly. It amazes me how people can love these pumps. I don't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    just an update to the OP: So i've been using the specialized airtool (Basic, $40 model) to pump up my gp4000s for about 10 rides now. Everything is great, but one setback is that i noticed the pump eats up a lot of valve stem to get a clamp down. I dont recall my Topeak Joe Blow needed as much visable valve length to get a clamp

I'm using Sram S30 Rims and can't use Continental Race 42mm tubes. Need 60mm...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I had a Joe blow pro for 15 +/- years then bought a lezyne classic floor drive. I use them both, but I favor the lezyne for the chuck. It threads on to the valve so there is no chance it will fall off.

I had issues with the Joe blow about five years ago with it being very difficult to pump. I pulled the Piston out of the cylinder and greased up the o rings and it has worked fine since.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Click here to edit signature.