New chain, new hub questions
    Rollin' Stones

Question New chain, new hub questions

Today I installed a new Dura Ace chain. Does it need to be cleaned and lubed right away? It came packed in a lubricant type substance. It's matched to a new cassette on a new rear wheel. I'm noticing that at low speed rotation, the bike is on a stand, there is a gravel type noise. I think it's the new hub. Could it be a mystery noise like the "bottom bracket" noises that are quick fixes by tightening pedals or cleats?
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

Arrogant roadie.....
    That substance is called cosmolene, a petroleum/wax based substance which is put on chains (and cars, and machinery) to protect from corrosion and minor abrasions. It has roughly the same lubricating qualities as candle wax.

When you get the chain, if you like using wax lubes, you might get away with not cleaning it, although the chain will be rather stiff and slow. If you use oil based chain lube, you will need to remove this stuff before mounting the chain.

Either way, you should remove it, especially since it's a D/A chain. Why would you want it to perform like a dirty ATB chain? Leave that gunk on, and that's exactly what it's like..
    Remove the chain, and soak it in a solvent, such as a citrus solvent (like pedros, or other chain solvents), or use mineral spirits (only if you use oil chain lube, tho..).
    Under no circumstances should you use Simple Green or WD-40!!!

Oh, BTW, you will need a Shimano replacement pin to put the chain back together. Once you break a Shimano chain, that pin goes in the trash.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Mar 2003

Why not Simple Green?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    That substance is called cosmolene, a petroleum/wax based substance which is put on chains (and cars, and machinery) to protect from corrosion and minor abrasions. It has roughly the same lubricating qualities as candle wax.

When you get the chain, if you like using wax lubes, you might get away with not cleaning it, although the chain will be rather stiff and slow. If you use oil based chain lube, you will need to remove this stuff before mounting the chain.

Either way, you should remove it, especially since it's a D/A chain. Why would you want it to perform like a dirty ATB chain? Leave that gunk on, and that's exactly what it's like..
    Remove the chain, and soak it in a solvent, such as a citrus solvent (like pedros, or other chain solvents), or use mineral spirits (only if you use oil chain lube, tho..).
    Under no circumstances should you use Simple Green or WD-40!!!

Oh, BTW, you will need a Shimano replacement pin to put the chain back together. Once you break a Shimano chain, that pin goes in the trash.
    What is wrong with using Simple Green to clean off the cosmoline? Is there a significant difference between Simple Green and citrus solvents?

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palewin
    What is wrong with using Simple Green to clean off the cosmoline? Is there a significant difference between Simple Green and citrus solvents?
    Nothing that I know of. WD40 is a different story, since it will attract more dirt than it removes. I've been using Simple Green now for several years with much better results than citrus based cleaners. Just make sure you rinse well, especially if you spray on directly without diluting. My chains are clean, quiet and last.

p.s. I also lube w/Pro Link FWIW...

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Also note that the 7700 and 7701 Chains use different pins as the 7701 is narrower.

I also recommend removing the gunk they ship the chain in, since it really attracts dirt.