New chainrings or new crankset? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I'll second that. If it was the wrong size, that would be immediately obvious. I hate those PITA Shimano pins. Its a lot easier to screw one of those up than it is to screw a link up. How do you screw a link up?
    Dunno. I think the guy was guessing. He's the same guy who wanted to replace the whole drive train. And yeah, not too impressed with them. And when I got my bike back he didn't give me back my link!!!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    Dunno. I think the guy was guessing. He's the same guy who wanted to replace the whole drive train. And yeah, not too impressed with them. And when I got my bike back he didn't give me back my link!!!
    I wouldn't re-use a link. They only cost a couple bucks. In fact, with the 11-speed links, they explicitly tell you on the package not to reuse them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I know, and I have a couple of extras in my pack. This bike has a 10 speed chain (10 in back, 3 up front). I've re-used the 10 speed links with no issues. I tend to replace them after a few on-off cycles. Depending on the bike that could be years. Unless there's an issue I generally don't remove my chains except for a complete cleaning, which is very infrequent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I wouldn't re-use a link. They only cost a couple bucks. In fact, with the 11-speed links, they explicitly tell you on the package not to reuse them.
    Reuse is totally dependent on the link. KMC 10 speed links can be used over and over and will last the life of a chain or two...same with Wipperman. Sram 10 speed says single use.

YBN is the only link I have found that says it is reusable for 11 speed, I have been living on the edge and have reused a KMC 11 speed after dis-assembly for cleaning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    How exactly are you checking your chain?

Have you or your shop actually measured it? I'm with the others who don't believe you wore out your rings in 4k miles. That would require an extremely worn chain. Any competent shop would've measured the chain and known instantly it was the cause.
    80647443c0ab7a09df4df7cd0503081234223211_800x700.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Update to a very old thread. It was the chain ring. Replaced it and everything has been great since. My riding is pretty much all hills. Maybe that accounted for the wear? My typical ride is 5% grade average and 13% max.

Been doing more mountain biking than road and didn't think to come back here. Thanks to everybody for the help 5 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12