new DA brakes really stronger?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

new DA brakes really stronger?

shimano claims (backed up by some cycling mags) that their new DA brakes are 30% stronger than the previous models. does anyone know if this is due to the brakes themselves, or is it the leverage at the levers, or both?

i am considering the new DA brakes (need more stopping power) but do not want to change my levers as well. its only worthwhile if they will work as well on 105 sti's. any advice? thanks in advance - fooch

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fuch
    shimano claims (backed up by some cycling mags) that their new DA brakes are 30% stronger than the previous models. does anyone know if this is due to the brakes themselves, or is it the leverage at the levers, or both?

i am considering the new DA brakes (need more stopping power) but do not want to change my levers as well. its only worthwhile if they will work as well on 105 sti's. any advice? thanks in advance - fooch
    not sure which contributes but my riding buddy says that after upgrading his whole group from DA9 to DA10 the biggest difference is in the brakes. good luck finding someone who has a mix - might be hard :-(

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

thanks 4 that - also, shim do not mention..

heh, heh. should have gone to the shimano site before i posted the thread..... they don't mention anything about improved braking strength when talking about the levers, only when discussing the brakes, so my thinking is that it is the brakes

btw, thanks for your reply

Nov 2002

Are you on the stock pads?

If so, you should consider a brake pad upgrade first. Top notch brake pads will cost you $20 and may make a huge difference. I would try that first. Either get the Kool Stop Salmon pads or the Cane Creek Green pads. They are softer than stock pads, but stop better too. Try that before dumping money into new brake calipers unless you really just want to have the new Dura-Ace calipers. That's another story if that is what you really want, but if you want better braking performance, start with new pads.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    good idea, thanks for that..... certainly can do with saving the money...

Mar 2002

Dura ace brakes

When Shimano lightened their Dura Ace brakes a few years ago, they were know as being a little flexy(several mag articles mentioned this), they have probablt stiffened them up & consequentl made them more 'powerful'

JimPz

Apr 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fuch

I bought just the front 7800 caliper as that's where the extra stopping power is alleged to be. Installed it on my bike with 4year old Dura Ace 9 speed group. Seems like it stops better, but it isn't a dramatic difference. Any way I can test is seat of the pants and totally subjective. Try Kool Stop pads first.

The Edge
    Kool Stop Salmon pads make a HUGE difference. They actually saved me during my crit in the rain last weekend. Had a guy go down in front of me on a straightaway and had to go into full braking and I almost went over the handlebars before coming to a stop just as I bumped his discarded frame. If you used four fingers to slow down in the rain before, you will now use one or two. Been raining here so much I haven't had a chance to ride them in the dry, but I'm sure they'll do fine there. I hate to sound like a commercial, but I felt a real difference. About the best 16 bucks I've spent on the bike.
    I'm a gravity missile. Clydesdales, represent!

Overequipped, underlegged

Go KoolStop

Fully agree. I think the 20 bucks i spent in my koolstops (i have the black ones) are the best value upgrade i've done to my bike. EASILY double the stopping power over the rim-chewing ultegra cartridges i had before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Yah what the hell does Shimano put in their brake pads.

I don't really remember having any trouble with the stock 105 pads that came on my bike, but I never found those for sale again. The Ultegra and Dura Ace pads I tried really seemed to be chewing up the rims and I'd find tons of slivers of metal in the pads when I tried to clean them.

The Kool Stop pads really do seem to make a difference.

Ben