New Rear wheel: Ult/OP or Mavic Cosmos or ?

View Poll Results: Which type of wheel?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ultegra hub, Mavic Open Pro Rim

2 66.67%
  • Mavic Cosmos hub & rim

0 0%
  • Other?

1 33.33%

May 2003

Question New Rear wheel: Ult/OP or Mavic Cosmos or ?

I'm in the process of upgrading my rear wheel. Unfortunately, the LBS discontinued the DA/OP wheel build that I had been considering, so now the question is:

Of these two wheels, which would you reccomend (or perhaps some other type of wheel completely) and why?

Ultegra hub w/ Open Pro rim ($99)
    Mavic Cosmos wheel ($120)
    Other?

About me: I'm an enthusiast recreational rider who races on relatively rare occasion. I'm looking for a sturdy lightweight wheel that I can use for pretty much anything. I'm about 175 lbs, ride about 3k miles/yr. My budget for this is about $150 max, so be sure to keep that in mind ;)

Thanks in advance!
    -erik

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Today I picked up parts to build my newest wheel set, DT RR 1.1 rims, Hugi 240 hubs, Revolution SS spokes, black alloy nipples, 32 3X rear, 28 3X front.
    ~Al

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    Today I picked up parts to build my newest wheel set, DT RR 1.1 rims, Hugi 240 hubs, Revolution SS spokes, black alloy nipples, 32 3X rear, 28 3X front.
    ~Al

Fantastic wheel to be sure! I have a similar wheel with the RR 1.1, American Classic hubs, and Sapim CX Rays on order (waiting on the rims still...)

But these will both be outside the original poster's price range.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by emckee
    I'm in the process of upgrading my rear wheel. Unfortunately, the LBS discontinued the DA/OP wheel build that I had been considering, so now the question is:

Of these two wheels, which would you reccomend (or perhaps some other type of wheel completely) and why?

Ultegra hub w/ Open Pro rim ($99)
    Mavic Cosmos wheel ($120)
    Other?

About me: I'm an enthusiast recreational rider who races on relatively rare occasion. I'm looking for a sturdy lightweight wheel that I can use for pretty much anything. I'm about 175 lbs, ride about 3k miles/yr. My budget for this is about $150 max, so be sure to keep that in mind ;)

Thanks in advance!
    -erik

The Cosmos rim looks very much like a rebadged Open Pro, and replacement spokes are 4 bucks a piece. We sell 14g DTs for 50 cents. Mavic hubs have an excellent reputation, thier old freewheel hubs were some of the nicest ever made, but Shimano hubs are pretty tough, too.

To me, the small weight difference (less than 1 oz per wheel, IIRC) doesn't make up for the proprietary spokes, so I'd go Ultegra / OP.

--Shannon

May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    The Cosmos rim looks very much like a rebadged Open Pro, and replacement spokes are 4 bucks a piece. We sell 14g DTs for 50 cents. Mavic hubs have an excellent reputation, thier old freewheel hubs were some of the nicest ever made, but Shimano hubs are pretty tough, too.

To me, the small weight difference (less than 1 oz per wheel, IIRC) doesn't make up for the proprietary spokes, so I'd go Ultegra / OP.

--Shannon
    Thanks Shannon!

I went out this morning and picked up the ult/op wheel. knock on wood, it'll last me a long time.

-erik