New Silca pump

Thread: New Silca pump

A wheelist
    Feb 2004

New Silca pump

If I was a young fella I'd probably get me one of these new Silca pumps -

Lustworthy Silca SuperPista Ultimate floor pump announced - BikeRadar

I bought one of the original Silcas back in '74 (40 yrs ago?) and, with a washer changes (pump barrel) and a couple of new chucks, it's still going strong. If I bought one of the new ones I'd have to put it in my will.

I might be interested in the $110 chuck though. Anyone have one of these yet?

'Hiro' Side-Lever Locking Presta Chuck – SILCA

SILCA - Manufacturers of the finest pumps and tools for bicycles

This stuff looks like quality chitt.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    That's some insane pumpage.

I'll tell you quite honestly though, I don't see much difference between it at the Lezyne Alloy I got through (but not from) Amazon for $55. Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Floor Pumps - High Power - Alloy Floor Drive

I grant that the screw on valve attachment isn't for everyone, but since I started using one (on my mini pump) I swear by mine.

That chuck does look fun though, although probably not worth two of my pumps. :-)

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    I read a couple of stories where Silca gave out some of those $110 pump heads at the TdF and the mechanics went ape-$hit over them.

I'll bet the Silca guys can point out the differences between your $55 pump and theirs for nearly 10x the cost. Whether a person wants to spend that much is another matter. I'll bet they sell like hot cakes though.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    I'm sure they will. It is a work of art. More to the point, if this is something that makes your job easier, then it is certainly worth what it costs. Me, not so much. I love good stuff as much as anyone, but I'd get shown the door if I tried to explain a $450 pump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

New Silca pump

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    I read a couple of stories where Silca gave out some of those $110 pump heads at the TdF and the mechanics went ape-$hit over them.

I'll bet the Silca guys can point out the differences between your $55 pump and theirs for nearly 10x the cost. Whether a person wants to spend that much is another matter. I'll bet they sell like hot cakes though.
    Why does everyone seem to love that pump head? Mine leaks, is hard to remove, is a pain to pump if you have a sticky valve, and the gasket wears out quickly even when lubed. My Topeak Joe Blow Pro pump head is worlds better IMHO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I still can't decide between that pump and this: " Brand New " Campagnolo " Big " Corkscrew Gold | eBay

Maybe if I get the Campy corksrew and use it 4 times in one sitting then I'll be ready to buy the pump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    If you will buy that they will throw in the Golden Gate for free.