New wheel set recommendation
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

New wheel set recommendation

Annual bonus is coming soon and I'm going to splash some cash on a new wheelset. I'm after :

- Aero profile (~40mm)
    - Reasonable weight (~1500 grms)
    - Durable / reliable
    - Not overly expensive (1000-1200$ tops - bought online)

I'll use them mostly for fast rides on saturday w/ the buch and the odd cyclo event. I weight around 82kg

I'm currently riding a set of Ksyrium Elites and even though there is nothing wrong with them, I want to try some new wheels for a change.

Any recommendations? Spinergys? Cosmic Carbones? Reynolds Assaults? DuraAces?

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought a set of Reynolds DV 3KC and I love it. Went for 2 rides with it so far....man, it is fast and stiff, yet comfortable. My average speed went up by 1.56km/h for the first ride and 1.4km/h for the second ride.

Initially, I was contemplating between the Assaults and DV3KC. I chose the DV3KC because of its DT Swiss hub with ceramic bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Mmmm...interesting...but a bit over my budget.

banned
    Jul 2010
    Just bought a new set of wheels a few months ago, I think i looked at every ~$1000 wheel out there before settling on the Easton EC90 sl clincher.

I got mine for $1200, sweet deal. Look around online you can probably find them for that price no problem, ebay for sure (apparently some are even authorized E dealers and will take care of you if you have any issues),

I didnt go with the Reynods (Attacks and Assaults) because of the inferior (scrim, upgraded for 2011?) brake track and some horrific (failure) reviews out there.

ALso check out Williams System 38. I didnt buy them because there were none in stock and the owner Keith's customer service was pretty crappy. Now they have upgraded the wheel (rim) and its now even lighter, but no sapim cx ray spokes .

Overall I think the Eastons are slightly better deal than the WIlliams. However if you ride int he rain Eastons ceramic bearings can have issues and the rims can fill up with water, so keep that in mind.

Also from what i have read Carbon is going up in price so get em while their "cheap"...
    Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnroadie
    Just bought a new set of wheels a few months ago, I think i looked at every ~$1000 wheel out there before settling on the Easton EC90 sl clincher.

I got mine for $1200, sweet deal.
    Thanks. Wow 1200 is a steal really. Cheapest I can find them online is around 1700$.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the DuraAce...they are a bit heavier than I'd like and not super fancy but seem to tick all other boxes.

Beetpull DeLite
    Go custom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Another vote for custom.

White Industries hubs, Kinlin XR-270s, Sapim aero spokes. Should be $700-$800 and around 1500g.

I just built a Novatec, Kinlin XR-200, DT butted spoke wheelset for less than $300 that weighs around 1350g.

BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
    DuraAce, DuraAce, DuraAce....
    Because that's what I have

Team Tom's
    Williams wheels! They come in 38mm and 58mm... The weights are great. They used to be heavier but they shaved some weight from all their wheels for this year. And the best thing is they're only $999. Check them out here. I'm going to get a set of 58's for next season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I would say Williams 38 at the pricepoint of $999 you'd be hardpressed to find a better buy. Don't go over 40mm unless you plan on doing tri's or something like that. I don't think you can get the Dura Ace for anywhere near that price.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

Rub it............
    +11ty on the custom.

Although for a boutique wheel, the Eastons are pretty sweet.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.