New wheel stopped creaking / pinging. Does the wheel still need to true?
    Part of Murphy's Law
    Oct 2007

New wheel stopped creaking / pinging. Does the wheel still need to true?

Hi All,

I put a new Easton EA70 rear wheel on my bike. I was getting creaking and pinging at the BEGINNING of my rides, then it would dramatically lessen towards the end of the 20+ mile ride. It lasted for about 5 rides. Now, it's quiet.

When this was happening, I researched and found out that the wheel build was not "stress relieved" and needed a minor true. Do I still need the true?

A note is that I feel the wheel is not as "alive" I felt more from my old wheel ( Neuvation R28SL ).

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    New wheels can be a bit noisy as things seat, but if the noise has subsided and is staying true, you should be fine. If you are really concerned, have the spoke tensions checked to see if they are in spec.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8705F using Tapatalk

Russian Troll Farmer
    Pinging on a new wheel is an indication that it was poorly built. The pinging sound was from spokes that have not had the torsional stress relived and/or had not had the nipples properly lubricated. A well-built wheel will not ping at all.

Now that it's stopped pinging, your wheel is certainly out-of-true, so bring it back to whomever sold it to you, and have them make it good. Oh, and don't go back to that place for your next wheel, either....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bq_or_bust View Post
    Hi All,

I put a new Easton EA70 rear wheel on my bike. I was getting creaking and pinging at the BEGINNING of my rides, then it would dramatically lessen towards the end of the 20+ mile ride. It lasted for about 5 rides. Now, it's quiet.
    A well built wheel should not do that.
    I have a set of Easton. They never made a noise. I've never owned a wheelset that creaked and pinged like you say.

When this was happening, I researched and found out that the wheel build was not "stress relieved" and needed a minor true. Do I still need the true?
    Truing isn't the issue. It could be perfectly true but not tensioned properly.

No way of telling what you need. The wheel could be perfectly fine. It could be under tentioned. Only way to know is have it checked.

A note is that I feel the wheel is not as "alive"
    No idea what that means.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Part of Murphy's Law
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the inputs.

That's what I get for buying new overstock wheels from what I think was a reputable online store.

"Alive" to me is for a lack of better words, responsiveness. When I put in power, the wheel feels sluggish; not springy.

Russian Troll Farmer
    After hearing how you bought it, I'd bet what you bought was a counterfeit wheel. No 'high end' wheel, factory-built or not would be THAT poorly built. I suggest you take a closer look at the wheels. Are the hubs correct? The rims? Do decals look real? Are the spokes even swaged? Is the weigh of the wheel correct? If it is a counterfeit, you can't trust anything about it, and you should ask for a refund.

Part of Murphy's Law
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    After hearing how you bought it, I'd bet what you bought was a counterfeit wheel. No 'high end' wheel, factory-built or not would be THAT poorly built. I suggest you take a closer look at the wheels. Are the hubs correct? The rims? Do decals look real? Are the spokes even swaged? Is the weigh of the wheel correct? If it is a counterfeit, you can't trust anything about it, and you should ask for a refund.
    I just double-checked now. Just like my previous due diligence, the shop and wheels check out. They liquidate old stock. Other customers gave both a good rating. I must have gotten a dud. Too late for any refund.

Russian Troll Farmer
    FWIW, my partner bought a pair of brand-name orthopedic house shoes on Overstock, and they were counterfeit (and not even the size they said they were supposed to be). A lot of those 'reviews' are posted by sockpuppets, you know.

Part of Murphy's Law
    Oct 2007
    True.

I'm relying on the fact that they sold these on Ebay to legitimate buyers. With Ebay's pro-buyer policies, I would have heard any disappointments. Instead, I have heard good news with these and many other products as they are a larger operation. Not Overstock large.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bq_or_bust View Post
    True.

I'm relying on the fact that they sold these on Ebay to legitimate buyers. With Ebay's pro-buyer policies, I would have heard any disappointments. Instead, I have heard good news with these and many other products as they are a larger operation. Not Overstock large.
    take it to a reputable local shop and have them check trueness and tension. It's not a big deal - should be around $20.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Pinging is definitely a sign of a wheel which was not properly stress relieved.

Counterfeit is a possibility, but I'm guessing this was a case of poor QC in the building process. It does happen.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.