• 03-26-2004
    sinican
    newbie question: rear wheel options for campy drivetrain
    Hi, I have a light touring bike with campy 9-speed drive train. I was wondering what rear wheel options do I have besides going for campy wheels or pre-built wheels with campy hubs are?

thanks,
  • 03-26-2004
    Al1943
    Wheels
    Too many options to list here. Just go to a local builder or mail order house like Colorado Cyclist and tell them what you need. Better still build your own.
  • 03-26-2004
    Coolhand
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sinican
    Hi, I have a light touring bike with campy 9-speed drive train. I was wondering what rear wheel options do I have besides going for campy wheels or pre-built wheels with campy hubs are?

thanks,

Rolf, American Classic and Mavic (amoung others) all make pre-built wheelsets which accept Campy cassettes.
  • 03-26-2004
    Spunout
    Newbie solution: Stick with campy hubs handbuilt by a reputable builder.
  • 03-26-2004
    ridewt
    Even Shimano 9 will work
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sinican

thanks,

I have a friend who uses Shimano 9 speed cassettes/rear wheel with his campy 9 without any problems. You could do that too although I, personally, would prefer to have a Campy 9/10 rear wheel so that if you upgrade to 10 speed some day, you can just put a 10 speed cassette onto the same wheel and away you go.

To make my reply even more confusing, though, if you were to use a Shimano wheel with 9 speed shimano cassette, and then later went to Campy 10, you can buy an American Classic 10 speed cassette, which is made for Campy 10 and is adapted to go on a Shimano 8/9 speed wheel. Probably more than you needed to know but there are lots of options.