Nitto quill stems?
    i like whiskey

Nitto quill stems?

I need a Nitto quill for a nice steel Merckx I'm building up. Does anyone know the max height from the minium insertion mark of a Nitto Deluxe quill? I just need about 8cm to make it work. I think it will.

I don't wanna get the giant long Nitto Technomic if I don't have to. Plus the Deluxe is nice and shiny.

waterproof*
    call Riv in the morning, they'll tell ya.

I have a couple that are in bikes at the moment, but from memory they're about like a normal-size quill.

toomanybikes
    I would measure it for you, except that the one bike I have one of those stems in is a garage 1600 miles from where I'm sitting.

But .....

I think this is your answer.

http://www.hiawathacyclery.com/cart/...products_id=14

RoadBikeReview Member

Nitto Deluxe

The Nitto Deluxe quill stem is about 10-11 cm from the insertion mark to the top of the stem, so you should be fine. The Deluxe looks much nicer than the Technomic and is well worth the cost difference. Here's a photo of a Deluxe on my Bob Jackson and it is not fully extended. Unfortunately the mechanic scratched the stem by not tightening the bolt enough and it slid down.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Just to avoid ordering confusion, keep in mind that the Deluxe is also a Nitto 'Technomic.' Some dealers call them 'Technomic Deluxe' (as opposed to the longer-quilled and less elegant plain 'Technomic').

i like whiskey
    Winner! Thanks tarwheel and everyone else. I'm ordering now.

Nice Bob Jackson, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    The Nitto Deluxe quill stem is about 10-11 cm from the insertion mark to the top of the stem, so you should be fine. The Deluxe looks much nicer than the Technomic and is well worth the cost difference. Here's a photo of a Deluxe on my Bob Jackson and it is not fully extended. Unfortunately the mechanic scratched the stem by not tightening the bolt enough and it slid down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    You can polish the scratch out easily with rubbing compound and some elbow grease. Finish with a polishing compound or a good paste wax that has a polish in it.

I have the Technomic Standard on a 1984 Ross Mt. Rainier which uses a smaller diameter stem. I had to shave it down to the proper diameter for it to work and did that using a metal file and sandpaper. I finished with a fine sandpaper and then rubbing compound and polishing compound then a wax. Once I was done it looked like it did originally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    One possible problem with the Nitto Technomic or Technomic Deluxe is that it may bottom out if the steerer tube of your fork is butted and your bike has a short head tube leaving the stem sticking up taller than you'd like. The minimum insertion line was as far as I could get the Deluxe inserted on two of my bikes. I ended up using a Nitto Dynamic instead which gives me about 8-8.5 cm above the minimum insert line to the top of the stem. http://www.ebikestop.com/nitto_dynam...ill-SM1410.php
    Last edited by Dresden; 07-17-2009 at 12:12 PM.

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresden
    One possible problem with the Nitto Technomic or Technomic Deluxe is that it may bottom out if the steerer tube of your fork is butted and your bike has a short head tube leaving the stem sticking up taller than you'd like. The minimum insertion line was as far as I could get the Deluxe inserted on two of my bikes. I ended up using a Nitto Dynamic instead which gives me about 8-8.5 cm above the minimum insert line to the top of the stem. http://www.ebikestop.com/nitto_dynam...ill-SM1410.php
    Hmmm. I never thought about the steerer tube being butted. If the Deluxe somehow doesn't work, that Dynamic looks like it will. Thanks for the heads up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019

Beware of this advice

Quote Originally Posted by PBike View Post
    You can polish the scratch out easily with rubbing compound and some elbow grease. Finish with a polishing compound or a good paste wax that has a polish in it.
    Dear Internet:

Be extremely, extremely wary of this advice: You will likely tarnish your stem in unrepairable ways if it is followed.

There is a 'coating' or 'surface' (for lack of a better term) which accompanies some (all?) Nitto quill stems which rubbing compound destroys. You may be left with highly-over-polished marks on your stem that will become impossible to remedy: The scratch is gone, though now you have a stem with an enormously incongruous 'bright' patch surrounding the place a relatively-small blemish once resided.

Embrace the beausage*... Don't ruin your lovely stem in an attempt at spotless perfection. i.e. Don't be like me: Someone who wishes they could rewind time to last week before I had ever found this thread in search results... Sigh.

*'Beauty through usage' - Grant Petersen

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ethism View Post
    Dear Internet:
    Don't be like me: Someone who wishes they could rewind time to last week before I had ever found this thread in search results... Sigh.
    If you could have rewound time to nine and a half years ago you still would have known.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Dear Internet:

Be extremely, extremely wary of this advice: You will likely tarnish your stem in unrepairable ways if it is followed.

There is a 'coating' or 'surface' (for lack of a better term) which accompanies some (all?) Nitto quill stems which rubbing compound destroys. You may be left with highly-over-polished marks on your stem that will become impossible to remedy: The scratch is gone, though now you have a stem with an enormously incongruous 'bright' patch surrounding the place a relatively-small blemish once resided.

Embrace the beausage*... Don't ruin your lovely stem in an attempt at spotless perfection. i.e. Don't be like me: Someone who wishes they could rewind time to last week before I had ever found this thread in search results... Sigh.

*'Beauty through usage' - Grant Petersen
    Good thing you showed up and provided such great advice. Too bad you were nearly a decade late.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    Unfortunately, the web doesn't forget and certainly doesn't care how old this thread is (hence my stumbling upon it six days ago).

This has nothing to do with your community and bumping old threads (I apologize for that, really): This thread surfaces in search results and responsible cautions should be put in place.

Unfortunately, the web doesn't forget and certainly doesn't care how old this thread is (hence my stumbling upon it six days ago).

This has nothing to do with your community and bumping old threads (I apologize for that, really): This thread surfaces in search results and responsible cautions should be put in place.
    I'm sure you've just saved countless stems from a fate worse than death.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm sure you've just saved countless stems from a fate worse than death.
    I would have saved mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would have saved mine.
    post pics of your stem...

want to see how 'mangled' it looks.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    post pics of your stem...

want to see how 'mangled' it looks.
    Are you serious? Because I will take photos... Though I am suspicious of the intent.

I spent hours buffing out scratches on a stem that now has glowing marks around the places were scratches once existed. Now my once-beautiful Pearl shows evidence of an idiot who tried to buff out scratches on an already-overpriced stem in order to hide the fact that owner of the overpriced stem is an idiot.

Again, this really has nothing to do with you. This thing is simply a warning for search resultsóbe wary, experiment first in an unobservable part of the stem, truly consider how serious this superficial blemish is before going at it with rubbing compoundóbecause you might end up looking like something of a prat: No matter how you look at it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2019
    Redacted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nitto quill stems?-stem.jpg  
    Last edited by ethism; 02-04-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Redacted.
    Looks good to me...you talking about the bit on the top of the extension?