No Shimano Chainrings
    RoadBikeReview Member

No Shimano Chainrings

I overhaul my girlfriend's and my bikes every year before our state's annual supported road bike tour. Every three years or so this includes putting on new chainrings.

This morning I tried to order new Shimano chainrings for 10 speed Ultegra and 11 speed DuraAce 9000. I tried to order them at eight on-line retailers. All of them listed them as either unavailable or back-ordered until the last week of July or sometime in August. I went to my local Shimano dealer and tried to order them there but their computer shows all big chainrings as unavailable until some time in August. I was able to order some of them at amazon.com.

Seriously? Jesus Shimano what are you dong?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    While it is stupid that Shimano would run out of them it happens. They've run out of SPD cleats before...for 2-3months. How much wear are you putting on your chain(s) before replacing them? In 40 years of road riding/mtb riding/racing I've worn out precisely zero chainrings. I see worn out chainrings at work all the time but it's obviously always people that pay little or no attention to chain wear.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    While it is stupid that Shimano would run out of them it happens. They've run out of SPD cleats before...for 2-3months. How much wear are you putting on your chain(s) before replacing them? In 40 years of road riding/mtb riding/racing I've worn out precisely zero chainrings. I see worn out chainrings at work all the time but it's obviously always people that pay little or no attention to chain wear.
    Chain ring life obviously depends on the quality of the rings, the quality of the maintenance of the drive train, choice of gears (always riding in the small ring means faster wear because the chain is engaging fewer teeth), and the power output of the rider. All that said, I typically get over 50,000 miles from Campagnolo chain rings. For me, that's over 5 years of riding.

[REDACTED]
    The answer is simple: Ride in the small ring until you wear it out too, then replace the whole crankset. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The answer is simple: Ride in the small ring until you wear it out too, then replace the whole crankset. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Of course...small rings wear out faster than big rings. Just changed out a 30T on my subcompact
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Of course...small rings wear out faster than big rings.
    Only if you spend more time in them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Of course...small rings wear out faster than big rings. Just changed out a 30T on my subcompact
    Small ring is for sissies
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Only if you spend more time in them
    This may have been a tongue in cheek remark, but seriously, I would think that if you spent equal time in each ring, the small one would wear out faster due to the fact that there are fewer teeth to share the load.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    This may have been a tongue in cheek remark, but seriously, I would think that if you spent equal time in each ring, the small one would wear out faster due to the fact that there are fewer teeth to share the load.
    Agree. That said, I see a lot of people riding in something close to small-small when they would be better served in the big ring and higher up the cassette. Lower chain friction and less chain and chain ring wear. I live with rolling hills (600 feet of climbing in a typical 30 mile ride) and only need the small ring occasionally. I would think you'd have to live in serious mountains to spend half the time on the small ring.

[REDACTED]
    Agree. That said, I see a lot of people riding in something close to small-small when they would be better served in the big ring and higher up the cassette. Lower chain friction and less chain and chain ring wear. I live with rolling hills (600 feet of climbing in a typical 30 mile ride) and only need the small ring occasionally. I would think you'd have to live in serious mountains to spend half the time on the small ring.
    600ft in 30 miles is pretty flat. Sure, there may be some rolls, but overall, it's flat. I've done close to that on some rail trails.

I wouldn't classify 30 miles as rolling until 1000ft. Just saying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm going to guess the typical road rider puts out a lot more power, on average, in the small ring as compared to big ring so even with the number of teeth aside I doubt even use would be anywhere near even wear.

I don't use a power meter but I'm pretty certain whatever power I put out on average in the small ring (climbing) is much higher than the average for the time I'm in the big ring. So the wear rate would not be equal.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'm going to guess the typical road rider puts out a lot more power, on average, in the small ring as compared to big ring so even with the number of teeth aside I doubt even use would be anywhere near even wear.

I don't use a power meter but I'm pretty certain whatever power I put out on average in the small ring (climbing) is much higher than the average for the time I'm in the big ring. So the wear rate would not be equal.
    I'm guessing it would be the same for me. I generally stay in the small ring unless I need more speed than it can give me. If I'm in the big ring and I see a hill ahead or need to slow down or stop, I first drop to the small ring before I move anything in back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I'm looking to change my Ultegra 52/36 to 50/34 and it may well be cheaper to go for the new crankset.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    When I'm riding and I see a hill, I just go the other way. I never ride in my little ring, I'm not even sure if I have one.~
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I have to admit that this is my strategy with my road bike and commuter. I take better care of my MTB.