No Solution to Brake Squealing
    RoadBikeReview Member

No Solution to Brake Squealing

Help! I received new brake pads and shoes from my LBS, but they won't stop squealing. It's ear-piercing. I've gone over my aluminum rims with various combinations of alcohol, citrus degreaser, 409, soap & water, and then washed down again with water to remove residue. They're clean enough to eat off of. But the brakes squeal again within seconds (I also cleaned the pads, of course).

Is it possible for pads to be incompatible with aluminum?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    What brakes are these? Is it front or rear? Did you check the toe in/out of the pads relative to the rim? Are they parallel, toe in, or toe out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    What brakes are these? Is it front or rear? Did you check the toe in/out of the pads relative to the rim? Are they parallel, toe in, or toe out?
    Both front and rear sets squeal. The front's are slight toe-in (end furthest away from frame points slightly inward). The rears are parallel.

Jan 2005
    Pads:
    Make sure the pads are both toed about 1 - 1.5 mm at the rear. But also check that you have the square to the rim. Also make sure the pads have the shine sanded off them.

Rim: Make sure your rim isn't concaved or a piece of ****, and that the rim doesnt have movment via a loose hub.

Brakes:
    Make sure the caliper has no play in it aswell as the caliper is tight to the frame. This is the issue alot of the time.

Try those, if non work, pay somone to fix it.
    "To be a rock, and not roll" - Robert Plant

Jul 2004

The list

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin
    Help! I received new brake pads and shoes from my LBS, but they won't stop squealing. It's ear-piercing. I've gone over my aluminum rims with various combinations of alcohol, citrus degreaser, 409, soap & water, and then washed down again with water to remove residue. They're clean enough to eat off of. But the brakes squeal again within seconds (I also cleaned the pads, of course).

Is it possible for pads to be incompatible with aluminum?
    Kind of in order of what to try first:

1. Make sure all bolts, hub cones, headset....etc. are properly tightened/adjusted.
    2. Clean rims with mild degreaser.
    3. Rough up the surface of the rim with a Scotch-Brite pad.
    4. Use somewhat fine sandpaper to roughen the surface of the pads (some pads are very smooth when brand new).
    5. Toe-in brake pads about 1 mm....
    6. ....Or toe-out brake pads same amount.
    7. All else failing, try a different type of brake pad, possibly one made of a softer compound.

BTW, what kind of brakes? Dual-pivot road? Cantis (almost all cheap cantis have to have a little toe-in)?