Non Shimano cranks that work with Ultegra BB60 1.37x24 bottom bracket?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Non Shimano cranks that work with Ultegra BB60 1.37x24 bottom bracket?

Wpuld anyone know what other brands of cranks will work with an Ultegra 6800 bottom bracket? My current Ultegra cranks have delaminated and I'm not sure I'll be able to warranty them. But, I'm not sure I want the laminated cranks anyway, anymore. So I'm curious what options are out there.
    p.s. and for all you SS freaks out there...ya' know, some people want to go faster than what gravity allows when going downhill. I'm just sayin'....

To bad carbon bikes don't have the same abilities as our carbon based bodies....namely, the ability to regenerate after an accident.

Even logic must eventually give way to understanding

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Any crank w/ a 24.0mm axle should work. NOT SRAM.

ETA: Why don't you just buy a different (lower range) Shimano crank?
    Last edited by cxwrench; 05-28-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Any crank w/ a 24.0mm axle should work. NOT SRAM.

ETA: Why don't you just buy a different (lower range) Shimano crank?
    Why? Well I suppose it's due to the fact that I've been out of the cycling standards loop for about a decade or so, I guess. Reading up on some of the standards like BB30, 86, 90 etc., I didn't see something explaining what "BB60" is or isn't and many articles suggest that everything is getting to be proprietary now.

Couple that with what looks like the same mfg. design of 105 and up, ie laminated construction as opposed to milled solid Al or CF. Right now, I just don't know if even swapping out to tried and true square taper is even an option since I know nothing about BB60 or the newer standards.
    p.s. and for all you SS freaks out there...ya' know, some people want to go faster than what gravity allows when going downhill. I'm just sayin'....

To bad carbon bikes don't have the same abilities as our carbon based bodies....namely, the ability to regenerate after an accident.

BB60 is not a 'standard', it's a model of Shimano bottom bracket. That bottom bracket is a very old and very normal English threaded bb. Nothing 'newer' about it at all, it's one of the oldest bb standards in existence.

Your crank was not 'laminated', it was cold forged from 2 pieces. There are many Shimano cranks...millions in fact...that have not come apart. In the last however many years they've been doing this I've seen exactly 2 fail. I wouldn't have any fear of buying another if yours is beyond warranty. The odds of it happening again are microscopic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Hmmmm, I guess I figured the model number would "6800" or somesuch notation. It is confusing with all the "BB" bottom bracket standards now, lol.

I do believe the cranks are laminated. I don't see how they can't be. I'll add a pic that shows the glue on the inside surface that mates to the back of the crank arm/spider bolt intersection piece. Mine is just starting to split, though not cracked line in the pic.

https://i0.wp.com/carlinthecyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/cropped-damage-w-arrows.jpg?fit=1168%2C1100
    Last edited by jabpn; 05-29-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: add pic

Copied directly from the Shimano site describing Hollowtech II cranks:

"Naturally, SHIMANO strove for the optimum balance between the conflicting needs of stiffness while producing a lightweight crank. HOLLOWTECH technology is an ultra-lightweight hollow crankarm created by SHIMANO with the company’s own proprietary forging technology that also maintains rigidity."

I suppose they might bond the parts together after forging, I was always told they weren't bonded, but forged together after the 2 parts were made.

You can hotlink photos too, it's pretty easy these days.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

OMG! That rider must be an animal! I've seen FSA and SRAM crank arms fail too. Ahhhh, the quest for light weight at any cost, SMH.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Rub it............
    I've been in the LBS business for almost 10 years. I have not seen a Shimano crank fail. That's after seeing hundreds of bikes with Shimano cranks from all makes and models. I've seen more FSA cranks fail (2) than Shimano in the past 10 years. I wouldn't hesitate to pickup another Shimano crank.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I thought I'd post an update. Shimano warranty customer service rep wasn't surprised by my description of what happened. It happens enough that he suggested that I send them in and there was a good chance they'd be warrantied despite not having a receipt (I bought the bike from a local Performance store. Now that they're out of business, there was no way to get a reprinted receipt). So, they did indeed warranty them and sent the R8000 model as a replacement.