OCLV bottom bracket questions....
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

OCLV bottom bracket questions....

I have a 1997 Lemond Chambery OCLV frame which I am installing a set of Shimano 105 5500 series components on (the generation with the yellow 105 decals). The bottom bracket, which is marked 118.5 appears too narrow for my triple crank on this frame and with a chain on the inner ring would rub the chainstay (see photo). Also, with the bottom bracket oriented correctly with left and right sides clearly marked on it, the carbon frame "protector disc" ends up on the non-drive side (see other photo). Other OCLV frames I have seen appear to have it on the drive side. Do I need a wider bottom bracket? What size? Does it matter what side that disc thingy is on?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerchris
    I have a 1997 Lemond Chambery OCLV frame which I am installing a set of Shimano 105 5500 series components on (the generation with the yellow 105 decals). The bottom bracket, which is marked 118.5 appears too narrow for my triple crank on this frame and with a chain on the inner ring would rub the chainstay (see photo). Also, with the bottom bracket oriented correctly with left and right sides clearly marked on it, the carbon frame "protector disc" ends up on the non-drive side (see other photo). Other OCLV frames I have seen appear to have it on the drive side. Do I need a wider bottom bracket? What size? Does it matter what side that disc thingy is on?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Your chain won't be on the ring at that point. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Yeah..I just realized that...

but I guess I wasn't quick enough to get back on here and say that. It was a long day and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. However, that doesn't explain the chain protector disc thing. Why is mine on the non-drive side? Does it matter? Does the left side of the bottom bracket really have to be on the left?

Thanks,
    Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

The protector disk

definitely needs to be on the drive side, as the whole point of it is to protect your frame and finish from the chain if it comes off the little ring, and especially to keep the chain from getting wedged between the chain ring and the frame. In looking at your picture, it seems as though you have more room on your non-drive side than I would have expected (compared to my 5200). I'm wondering if you don't have the right and left sides mixed up--maybe you were looking to the rear when you should have faced forward (I've done that).

Good Luck!

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerchris
    but I guess I wasn't quick enough to get back on here and say that. It was a long day and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. However, that doesn't explain the chain protector disc thing. Why is mine on the non-drive side? Does it matter? Does the left side of the bottom bracket really have to be on the left?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I would assume that it is an English thread BB. The right side is reverse thread. I know very little about carbon bikes so can't be of much more help. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005

Nope, I double checked...

Unless it goes on the side of the bottom bracket side that doesn't have the notches cut into it (see photo)...but that's why I put it on the left side. It seemed to me those little notches would cut into the carbon as I tightened it down. Should I put it on the right (drive side) without the notches in the bottom bracket?

-Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Protector II

It does go on the drive side w/o the notched retaining ring. The BB has a metal insert that the ring tightens against, so you won't be hurting your frame. You might also check the ring for burrs and file them down if there are any.