OK I'm Stumped. Front Derailleur Question
    JP
    Lizzie will ride free

OK I'm Stumped. Front Derailleur Question

Help me out here. I've got an Colnago Master Light that I just got from Craig's List. I had the parts, so I was thinking of switching it to a triple. It's all campy. I swapped out the bracket, cranks, and both derailleurs. The front derailleur was a centaur 10 speed double. It is just barely above the center of the braze-on.

I tried to put an "older" steel record 10 triple front derailleur on and I ran out of room on the braze-on. In other words, I can't move the derailleur high enough by about 2 mm. Both the double and the triple have a 53 tooth big ring. Per the drawings on the campy site (for this year) the measurement from the center of the bracket to the center of the braze-on should be 150mm with a 53 in the middle of the braze-on. That's exactly my measurement. (and the same as other bikes in the garage.)

So what gives? Did they change the spacing along the way? Will a newer triple front derailleur work?

Gotta tell you, I'm stuck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

common problem...

I had the same problem with a Colnago C-40. I was able to mount a Campy Record triple FD on it, but I only had about .5mm of clearance between the cage and the 53T big ring.

On the C-40, there was no excess material at the top of the mount to permit filing the slot longer. If that's the case with your frame, switching to a 52T big ring might be your only option.