Older style Campy Centaur Ergopower Left Shifter with Compact Chainset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020

Question Older style Campy Centaur Ergopower Left Shifter with Compact Chainset

Hi Folks,

New here so bear with me please

I picked up a used 2005 Cervelo Soloist Centaur with a compact chainset (2 rings). The left shifter feels like it has 5 clicks for indexed shifting so it becomes incredibly cumbersome to shift the front during a ride as to move up it takes 4/5 shifts and then the chain starts to rub so i have to pull it back a bit.

Is there anyway to tune this properly?

Thank you in advance.

Tino

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    You're not pushing it one click at a time are you?
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tinof View Post
    Hi Folks,

New here so bear with me please

I picked up a used 2005 Cervelo Soloist Centaur with a compact chainset (2 rings). The left shifter feels like it has 5 clicks for indexed shifting so it becomes incredibly cumbersome to shift the front during a ride as to move up it takes 4/5 shifts and then the chain starts to rub so i have to pull it back a bit.

Is there anyway to tune this properly?
    With a Campy front shifter, you typically do three or four clicks at once to accomplish the shift. Think of it as a friction shifter with detents. Think of "sweeping" the shift. Sounds like a technique issue given the information offered.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Trying not to

Used to Shimano shifting, first time with Campy - is this the technique for newer campy stuff?
    Last edited by tinof; 03-27-2020 at 08:00 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You're not pushing it one click at a time are you?
    Trying not to

Used to Shimano shifting, first time with Campy - is this the technique for newer campy stuff?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    With a Campy front shifter, you typically do three or four clicks at once to accomplish the shift. Think of it as a friction shifter with detents. Think of "sweeping" the shift. Sounds like a technique issue given the information offered.
    Thanks Kerry, asking the same Q to you as well. Is this even with the newer campy stuff?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Trying not to

In the space of the last 20 years...Campagnolo has changed the innards and out-ards of their shifters about a dozen times all totaled.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Thanks Kerry, asking the same Q to you as well. Is this even with the newer campy stuff?
    Can't speak for Kerry, or to all Campy, but current Potenza no on the front, the sweep back to the big ring has no detents. I don't think current SR does either, or at least I didn't notice it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Potenza group has Power-Shift system, and I believe your Centaur does too. Chorus level and higher (Record & SR) have Ultra-Shift system. The main difference between the two is with how the shift buttons behave.

On the Power-Shift, the left(front) shift button drops to the small chainring with a single push. However, on the Ultra-Shift, it has indents to allow for more positioning of the FD, but arguably slower downshift. For the right (rear)shift button, Power-Shift only allows for single upshift per push whereas Ultra-Shift has indents that allows for multiple cog change in a single button actuation, or quicker upshift. I believe the idea is to simplify shifting and minimize unintended shifts for lower-end groups, but this also means that the Power-Shift system is more sensitive to misalignment or improper adjustments.

The lever behavior on both systems should be the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    The Potenza group has Power-Shift system, and I believe your Centaur does too. Chorus level and higher (Record & SR) have Ultra-Shift system. The main difference between the two is with how the shift buttons behave.
    Centaur became PowerShift in 2011, along with everything else below Chorus
    2009-2010 it was Ultrashift, although the 2009 detents were weak. There was a carbon brake blade option with the same 337g / pair weight as Record.
    2007-2008 it was Escape which also had an escapement mechanism like PowerShift
    2002-2006 it had the classic G-spring design
    2001 it was named Daytona and identical to 2002 except for the logo

A 2005 shifter has 12 positions IIRC, of which 3-4 are used for doubles and 6-7 triples.

2009-2014 Ultrashift left levers have 6 or 7 positions of which 3-4 are used for doubles and all for triples.

With G-spring and Ultrashift levers you can go directly from small to big ring and vise versa pushing the front paddle and button farther.

If it takes more lever actuations you don't have enough cable tension or there's something mechanically wrong with your shifter.

Pointy hood g-spring right levers through 1997 can shift directly from largest to smallest cog. Ultrashift levers can go 5 smaller.

I never used 1998-2008 round hood G-spring, Escape, Powershift, or 2015+ levers.
    Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-03-2020 at 02:46 PM.