• 04-04-2005
    metricEee
    people who loved old avocet O2 40r
    given how hard it is to find avocet O2's these days, I'm toying with the idea of trying something new. I was just wondering if there were people out there who loved their old avocets (without the depression) and found another saddle they liked as much or better
  • 04-04-2005
    Nessism
    Quote:

Originally Posted by metricEee
    given how hard it is to find avocet O2's these days, I'm toying with the idea of trying something new. I was just wondering if there were people out there who loved their old avocets (without the depression) and found another saddle they liked as much or better

I'm one of the Avocet fans:) Found some guy on rec.bicycles.marketplace that had some NOS 40R's so I bought three. :D

At any rate, it really sucks that Avocet discontinued them. I've seen some on ebay but most are worn out by now and not worth buying.

Just a thought but wasn't there a company that recovered saddles? Maybe send them one with the cutout and see if they can re-foam it to take the divot out? Just a thought.

Good luck.

Ed
  • 04-04-2005
    ifcjti
    Avocet Saddles
    Hey guess what, call Avocet, you can order direct from them with a money back guarantee and they do still make the old style. I ride the o2M and they have sold me the old style. I am presently waiting for them to set a new shipment in. So, pick up the phone and dial away!! You can get their phone number from their web site. Enjoy the ride!
  • 04-04-2005
    Eric_H
    It's gonna cost you
    Quote:

The Fizik Aliante is a great substitute for the Avocet 02 40R. The shape is very similar, but there is no break-in period, the Aliante is comfortable from kilometre zero.

My favorite version of the Avocet was the very first version, I think I bought my first in 1993. It did not have the cutout in the foam, nor did it have the relieved section on the underside of the shell. Just a plastic base, foam padding and leather cover.
  • 04-04-2005
    toast
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric_H
    The Fizik Aliante is a great substitute for the Avocet 02 40R.

I read this somewhere else, and it looked like my O2, but didn't find it to be the case.
    I tried to replace my O2 and the Aliante only felt nice to my when I was perched way back, and it made my legs go numb after a couple of miles no matter how I tiled it.
    Different saddles for different folks...
  • 04-07-2005
    PDex
    Quote:

I have an old (I mean old) Avocet gel (bought in the late 80's early 90's) that I still like. I tried the Avocet O2 with Ti rails and didn't care for it. The saddle that comes closest (IMHO) to the old one is the San Marco Rolls. YMMV

I am selling the O2 on ebay soon. If you want it, PM me.
  • 04-07-2005
    Chainstay
    I've not been happy since
    I replaced mine with the newer shape and found it was too hard in the centre. Now I have a Fizik Arionne with creates abrasion where the wings run against the inside of my legs. It works well only with the Sugoi RS shorts