Pins and ramps

Thread: Pins and ramps

RoadBikeReview Member

Pins and ramps

I'm running an IRD sub compact Defiant crank with an 11spd group, and everything is starting to show wear. My question centers on the chainrings, IRD doesn't offer replacement rings for this crank and the only 94BCD rings I can find are TA, quality pinned rings but they have no ramps.

Anyone know how replacing a pinned and ramped chainring with one that has pins, but no ramps, will affect shifting. It's 46/30, so a large jump, but the front derailleur handles it easily, with the ramps and pins. I ride the drivetrain as a 1x with a granny, so I really don't front shift that often, but I need it to shift cleanly when I do. The rest of the drivetrain is Campagnolo, if that matters, but I don't think that it should.

Running as a 1x with granny means a lot of cross chaining, and that is what is causing the wear, not hooking, but side wear on the outer surface of the teeth.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've found on more than one occasion (at least with) Shimano, I could find a crank for less than new rings. Might want to look on Ebay for a crank and see what you can find there in good shape. With a 16 tooth jump I would want all the help I could get on that shift happening myself.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I've found on more than one occasion (at least with) Shimano, I could find a crank for less than new rings. Might want to look on Ebay for a crank and see what you can find there in good shape. With a 16 tooth jump I would want all the help I could get on that shift happening myself.
    In theory this is a good plan, but if I was going to go a new crankset I sure would like a Compass\Rene Herse and that is just shy of $500 and would probably need a new narrower bottom bracket, it calls for a 110 spindle and my current is 115, and like I said, I cross chain.

But, yeah, all the help shifting I can get is what led my to asking, I'd hate to buy the rings and then have dicey shifting.
    Too old to ride plastic

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    In theory this is a good plan, but if I was going to go a new crankset I sure would like a Compass\Rene Herse and that is just shy of $500 and would probably need a new narrower bottom bracket, it calls for a 110 spindle and my current is 115, and like I said, I cross chain.

But, yeah, all the help shifting I can get is what led my to asking, I'd hate to buy the rings and then have dicey shifting.
    Since you run it mostly as a 1X, have you considered going with a larger cassette to get the granny gear and use just a single ring up front? I did that a while back with a ten speed setup and liked it so much I eventually went full SRAM 1X11.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Since you run it mostly as a 1X, have you considered going with a larger cassette to get the granny gear and use just a single ring up front? I did that a while back with a ten speed setup and liked it so much I eventually went full SRAM 1X11.
    No, that doesn't appeal to me. I like having the close ratio transmission that I'm running, while still having those low gears. A 1x, while giving me the low gearing does it at too high of a price, which are the larger jumps between gears that a wider range cassette demands.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    No, that doesn't appeal to me. I like having the close ratio transmission that I'm running, while still having those low gears. A 1x, while giving me the low gearing does it at too high of a price, which are the larger jumps between gears that a wider range cassette demands.
    Another description of 1X for road riding is "often not able to find the best gear." If you never ride on flat roads, this is less of an issue, but if you want to ride a few miles on a flat road and have only "too big" and "too small" choices, it's a pain. Give me that "straight block" cassette every time. I run a 12-25 11s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Another description of 1X for road riding is "often not able to find the best gear." If you never ride on flat roads, this is less of an issue, but if you want to ride a few miles on a flat road and have only "too big" and "too small" choices, it's a pain. Give me that "straight block" cassette every time. I run a 12-25 11s.
    I live right outside Chicago, so I always ride on "flat roads".

I been running a 12-25 also, but I use the 12 so infrequently that I just got a 13-25 to use when I retire the 12-25. I'm coming up on 20,000 miles on the drivetrain with 3 chains in rotation, and things are starting to get tired. I've been playing with the idea of rotating thru 4 chains when I swap everything out, but I've got plenty of time before I need to decide.
    Too old to ride plastic

What the what???
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that too, but with my flat Midwestern ride that hasn't been the case. The two tooth jumps in the middle of the cassette are where I live most of the time and they seem pretty comfortable to me. To each their own I suppose.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...