Pls help: XT Shifter pods, ultegra fd/rd... compatible?
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33

    Pls help: XT Shifter pods, ultegra fd/rd... compatible?

    Hi there, im new to road biking, and was mainly a mtb rider...

    i just bought a cyclocross frame, and shifting is just plain terrible.. ok my bike (trek xo1) comes stock with crappy stuff (soras), but even when i tried some ultegras on another bike, shifting just wasnt the same as with my MTB XT...

    what gives??


    im also wondering if it was possible to use xt/xtr shifter pods with shimano road components (ultegra probably).... both are 9 speed, use the same chains.. would it be possible? i like the rapid fire style pods over any of the barend/sti stuff...

    well at least i think it will be more useful for the purposes i have for my new cyclocross...

    thanks!

  2. #2
    NeoRetroGrouch
    Reputation: TurboTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,491

    It will work...

    Have 2000 XTR pods with Ultegra front end on a built up flat bar road bike. Works fine.
    Whether it's practical on drop bars is a different story.

    TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo245
    Hi there, im new to road biking, and was mainly a mtb rider...

    i just bought a cyclocross frame, and shifting is just plain terrible.. ok my bike (trek xo1) comes stock with crappy stuff (soras), but even when i tried some ultegras on another bike, shifting just wasnt the same as with my MTB XT...

    what gives??


    im also wondering if it was possible to use xt/xtr shifter pods with shimano road components (ultegra probably).... both are 9 speed, use the same chains.. would it be possible? i like the rapid fire style pods over any of the barend/sti stuff...

    well at least i think it will be more useful for the purposes i have for my new cyclocross...

    thanks!
    A better option is the SL-440 shifter set. It is the set that is designed specifically for road bike derailleurs. If you use an Ultegra derailleur, use that shifter instead. It pulls the cable to the same ratio as the derailleur. Otherwise if you use an XT shifter, you should use a mountain derailleur set as well. A very good option if you can get hold of it is to use the 9 speed LX pods with a 2002 short cage XTR rear derailluer. It is pretty much the same shifter as the XT, but with different graphics. (That is the older style XT shifter pods, not the new dual control shift/brake levers....)

    Russ

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo245
    Hi there, im new to road biking, and was mainly a mtb rider...

    i just bought a cyclocross frame, and shifting is just plain terrible.. ok my bike (trek xo1) comes stock with crappy stuff (soras), but even when i tried some ultegras on another bike, shifting just wasnt the same as with my MTB XT...

    what gives??


    im also wondering if it was possible to use xt/xtr shifter pods with shimano road components (ultegra probably).... both are 9 speed, use the same chains.. would it be possible? i like the rapid fire style pods over any of the barend/sti stuff...

    well at least i think it will be more useful for the purposes i have for my new cyclocross...

    thanks!
    It seems like you are asking two separate questons here:

    Shimano derallieur compatibility: All Shimano rear derailleurs since the dawn of indexing have been cross-compatible, with the exception of pre-9-speed Dura Ace. Shimano MTB and road front derailleurs have different actuation ratios, and so work best when matched to their appropriate shifters, but all the rears are the same.

    Shifter / handlebar compatibility: For reasons that nobody understands, MTB bars and road bars have different outside diameters, and MTB is smaller. That means that your rapid-fire shifters won't fit on a drop bar, unless you go after the clamps with a fine-toothed half-round file. This ignores the fact that RapidFire shifters on drop bars are likely to be an ergonomic disaster, I can't think of a place to mount them where they'd be useful.

  5. #5
    NeoRetroGrouch
    Reputation: TurboTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,491

    BTW, it's a triple Ultegra crankset. (nm)

    12345
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    thanks a billion for the replies everyone..

    my main qn is, is it me, or do road bikes shift totally differently?

    is there ANYWAY i can get my road bike to shift as quickly, silently, as my MTB XT drivetrain?

    another qn:

    if all rears derraileurs are the same, what ARE the differences btw ultegra and XT or DA/XTR etc?

    does that mean i can use an XT RD on my ultegra cassette, and then use some ultegra STI's to shift it?

    Thanks!!

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    that sounds like a good idea.. i love the XT shifter pods (non break levers) and might pair it up with an XT RD too.. would a medium cage do?

    and am i right in assuming the following config will work:

    -xt shifter pods (for rd), XT RD, ultegra 9speed cassette,
    ultegra FD, ultegra double cranks, barcons for fd..

    im toying with the idea of a shifterpod/barcon combi.. as un ergnomic as it may sound i'd like to try it... i'll find some way of mounting the shifter pod on my drop bars...


    any comments?

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    hi turbo turtle,
    so u mean ur using XTR pods for both the front and rear D?
    and that the FD is ultegra, and RD is XTR?

    correct me if im wrong, but i heard that u can mix and match btw XT/Ulteg shifters/derailleurs for the REAR end, but u can't do that for the front end coz of some different ratio...

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    591

    ultegra/xt

    Quote Originally Posted by jpo245



    does that mean i can use an XT RD on my ultegra cassette, and then use some ultegra STI's to shift it?

    Thanks!!
    Yeah, 10-4, straight up.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,126

    A whole new monkey wrench into the mix....

    Quote Originally Posted by tube_ee
    Shifter / handlebar compatibility: For reasons that nobody understands, MTB bars and road bars have different outside diameters, and MTB is smaller. That means that your rapid-fire shifters won't fit on a drop bar, unless you go after the clamps with a fine-toothed half-round file. This ignores the fact that RapidFire shifters on drop bars are likely to be an ergonomic disaster, I can't think of a place to mount them where they'd be useful.

    There is a very very easy and downright brilliant solution to this. Get the Barcon shifters, but use Paul Thumbies. See them at their webpage... www.paulcomp.com Those things convert barcon shifters to work like older traditional thumb shifters, and I have to say, they work amazingly well. And they are designed to fit road bars. They also make these for flat bars.

    Not trying to confuse the issue, but take a look at those, they rock.

    Russ

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by russw19
    There is a very very easy and downright brilliant solution to this. Get the Barcon shifters, but use Paul Thumbies. See them at their webpage... www.paulcomp.com Those things convert barcon shifters to work like older traditional thumb shifters, and I have to say, they work amazingly well. And they are designed to fit road bars. They also make these for flat bars.

    Not trying to confuse the issue, but take a look at those, they rock.

    Russ
    I have heard of some folks machning simialr adapters.Downtube levers would work but would not have the 'angled' bend that the bardends do.

  12. #12
    NeoRetroGrouch
    Reputation: TurboTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,491

    Pics of thumbies...

    Here are pictures of downtube shifters with Paul adapters on a cowhorn bar. That part of the cowhorn is the same as a road drop bar.

    TF

    Bar end not downtube shifters - sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TurboTurtle; 04-13-2004 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Bar end not downtube shifters - sorry.
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    omg that is sweet... but wait a min, what happens to those little stubs on the barcons that usualyl are inserted into you bars?
    Your bar cons loook like regular thumb shifters to me...

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo245
    omg that is sweet... but wait a min, what happens to those little stubs on the barcons that usualyl are inserted into you bars?
    Your bar cons loook like regular thumb shifters to me...
    That's what Paul's Thumbies are for. They turn a bar-end shifter into an indexed 8 or 9 speed thumbshifter. My next geared MTB will have them, for sure. I think that the clamps come in both road and MTB diameters.

    --Shannon

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,126

    Hey JPO245.... read this!

    I was doing some surfing at school today in one of my labs and came across this on ebay....

    These are the rapidfire shifter pods you need for a flat bar road bike with road derailleurs.

    A couple of major points I wanted to make.....

    First, I recently bought a set of Campy Monoplaner brakes from this seller.... I will personally vouch for their rep. They were very professional, my stuff was well packed, as advertised, and shipped in a timely manner.

    Second, the price that guy is asking is less than new wholesale, so you can't go wrong on that one.

    I would tell you to jump all over this one while you can.

    Hope that helps ya,

    Russ

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    yo russ, do u have a link for that guy??

  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by jpo245
    yo russ, do u have a link for that guy??

    DOH! That was stupid... tell ya all about the guy and not put a link to his auction....

    By the way, it is a buy it now auction... opening bid=selling price, but that price is good.

    Here's the link.....

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3671691015

    sorry about that....

    Russ

  18. #18
    NeoRetroGrouch
    Reputation: TurboTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,491

    They aren't going to fit on road bars...

    They are made for flat bar (i.e. MTB) and won't fit on a drop bar unless they are reamed out.

    TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    thanks a billion. i got them! they look exactly like my XT pods!!

    for 30 bucks brand new its a steal.

    yes, im planning to ream them and then mount them on my road bar... or at least find some way to do it....

    either that, or find a MTB bar that could be modified to become drop style... i'd need new levers too.. sigh

    will post pics when im done!

    thanks for all teh advice people!

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    Hi guys, if i get a 25.4mm handle bar,
    I should be able to fit XT shifter pods on it right? (since mtb handlebars are 25.4mm)

    Or am I wrong?

    I'm thinking of getting the following:

    http://www.bikeusa.com/MERCHANT2/mer...ct_Code=HB9020


    Could someone advise me? thanks!

  21. #21
    NeoRetroGrouch
    Reputation: TurboTurtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,491

    Could you do me a big favor?....

    Could you shove a piece of cable in each these new pods and find a way to get an accurate length of cable pull and then do the same to your XTs. Or just reply with the "road pod" number and I'll measure my MTB pull. I'm betting that it is an XT. Actually, all you need to do is the left one since everyone seems to agree that the rear is the same.

    TIA,
    TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    33
    i compared pictures of it with my xt.. SLIGHTLY different cosmetically.. very slight.

    when it come's i'll see what the left shifter pull length is...

    well im pretty sure its different for the Left pod (FD) coz the crank is a double instead of a tripple.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.