Premium Valve Cores
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

Premium Valve Cores

Hi, Does anyone know of inner tube Shrader valve cores that do not leak air? Seems most cores leak air to a small degree, as I have to pump my tires every ride. Just wondering if there are cores on the market that are best at holding the air. Thanks!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    How do you know it's the core leaking and not the tube?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by kovacsa View Post
    Seems most cores leak air to a small degree........
    This is news to me. Keep in mind that tubes are porous and air seeps out of them over time. Low volume road tires generally lose 10PSI per day. Larger volume tires lose air more slowly. This is normal.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is news to me. Keep in mind that tubes are porous and air seeps out of them over time. Low volume road tires generally lose 10PSI per day. Larger volume tires lose air more slowly. This is normal.
    My experience with Michelin and Continental inner tubes is 15 psi per week, not 10 psi per day. If I experience 10 psi per day, I will find a "bubble leak" in the tube somewhere when I put it under water.

For the OP, unless you are seeing bubbles form at the valve when you submerge your inflated tire/wheel in a tub of water (or put a little Snoop on the valve), then you have no idea where the leak is. If you have indeed found a leaky valve, I suggest a putting couple of drops of silicone oil into the valve and then doing a few strokes of the pump to get the oil into the valve seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Low volume road tires generally lose 10PSI per day.
    been using Kenda tubes for several years...they have a leak-down rate of ~10-15 psi per WEEK.

10 psi/day sounds like latex tubes.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    been using Kenda tubes for several years...they have a leak-down rate of ~10-15 psi per WEEK.

When I said "low volume road tubes", I was referring to 700 x 23. I use 700 x 28 which I only need to check twice a week. The 10-15PSI per week still seems like a low rate of loss eevn for 700 x 28's - I would say it's about that in 3 or 4 days.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I said "low volume road tubes", I was referring to 700 x 23. I use 700 x 28 which I only need to check twice a week. The 10-15PSI per week still seems like a low rate of loss eevn for 700 x 28's - I would say it's about that in 3 or 4 days.
    the pressure drops I cited are for 23s...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post

He's using Shrader valves (like on a car), so I seriously doubt he has latex tubes.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is standard procedure to...
    ... pump my tires every ride.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    He's using Shrader valves (like on a car), so I seriously doubt he has latex tubes.....
    I also doubt his cores are leaking.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Hi, Does anyone know of inner tube Shrader valve cores that do not leak air? Seems most cores leak air to a small degree, as I have to pump my tires every ride. Just wondering if there are cores on the market that are best at holding the air. Thanks!
    Are you running light weight tubes? Are they quality tubes with a name brand? I detected your wording "core" as in Hungarian in translation. So I'll stay on tubes and the light weight tube will bleed air fasted and not from the stem. If you test them on the rim with a dip water test, you will see bubbles from the stem area but it won't necessarily be from the stem because the air of a tube that bleeds usually will escape at a point around the rim's stem [cut-out area].

Kerry Irons gave a bubble test to sort out bad quality/inferior quality tubes.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together