• 03-19-2014
    aclinjury
    Prices of Moots stems and seatposts are crazy!
    I'm in the processed of putting together a steel bike, and so naturally I headed over to Moots to check our their titanium stems and seatposts. Their stems range from $415 - $595. Seatposts are $350. That's a little bit of a "wow really!"

    To put prices in worldly perspective, an entry level Lynskey Peloton ti frame (also made in US) can be had for $1168. A Chinese made ti seatpost can be had for under $70 shipped.

    I would love to hear what sort of technology goes into the Moots stems and seatposts!
  • 03-19-2014
    JCavilia
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I would love to hear what sort of technology goes into the Moots stems and seatposts!

    The only technology relevant to setting prices like that is marketing analysis that determines that enough people will pay them.
  • 03-19-2014
    chudak
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I would love to hear what sort of technology goes into the Moots stems and seatposts!

    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
  • 03-19-2014
    Opus51569
    Prices of Moots stems and seatposts are crazy!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.

    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.
  • 03-19-2014
    tihsepa
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

    And dont forget. Welded together with nothing else but Chuck Norris' glaring stare.
  • 03-19-2014
    aclinjury
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.

    thanks for making me spit my freshly made after lunch coffee!
  • 03-19-2014
    aclinjury
    glad I'm not the only one laughing over these prices!
  • 03-19-2014
    Cinelli 82220
    You can get lighter aluminum stems for a fraction of the price.

    The Moots stuff is nice but I'd only get it if I wanted to match it to a Moots frame.
  • 03-19-2014
    aclinjury
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    You can get lighter aluminum stems for a fraction of the price.

    The Moots stuff is nice but I'd only get it if I wanted to match it to a Moots frame.

    Yep. I was just a being a curious cat, that's all. My $35 Serotta stamped seat clamp seems cheap by comparison.