Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

prices of Shimano 7900 components and Campy Chorus 11

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  C-40 
#1 ·
So I got a new frame and wanted to build it up with either 7900 or Chorus 11.
As I browse fleabay for these components, I find to be still quite high! In fact, even the DA 7800 components are still high in my opinion. I thought Di and EPS were supposed to make these components a bargain??? Not!

#2 ·
When the new stuff is vastly more expensive than the previous stuff, the old stuff doesn't go down in price because it remains a "bargain" in contrast.

I use Rival. It's lighter than Ultegra, works 98% as well as Red and costs like 105. Or consider Centaur or Athena. The price of upper end components has gotten absurd, and it is only going to change when people stop spending the money. The mid line stuff is brilliant, so you can spend the money on good wheels.

#7 · (Edited)
the Chorus 11 is very very tempting!!!
Man UK is like cyclist heaven for Euro components

Quick question about shifting to the smaller cogs in the rear. Can this be done while you're in the drop? or must you take your hand out of the drop and shift? Campy uses that little thumb shifter and I'd image you can't reach it while in the drop?

#6 ·
My only issue with Sram is I'm not a fan of their double tapping, other than this, I think they have the best band for the bux.

I also heard from a bike shop buy that prices of Dura Ace stuff is set to go up again due to the falling dollar (dollar is falling against the yen).

Regarding Chorus 11, I'm reading reviews on the net saying that to only get the Chorus 11 shifters dated in the 2nd half of 2010 or later. Apparently, in 2009 and the 1st part of 2010, these shifters have big issues (which were later fixed in the later release).

I'm probably gonna go with either Chorus 11 or Ultegra 6700, but I'm also going to wait until winter to start shopping, and hope that I can get some good deal. I'm guessing people go shopping for bike stuff in the summer more than in winter.

#8 ·
Chorus 11 owner here. I can reach the thumb lever no problem from the drops. Average size hands for a guy. As far as big problems with the earliest models, not sure about that, I think it was more of a refinement in feel rather than any failure.

Prior to Campy 11, I road Chorus 10 for 11 years, which I liked. I have had a few issues with the 11 speed stuff, including a tic in the BB which I have yet to resolve. I do not care for the feel of the shift levers, I think they take too much effort to move. Honestly if I had it to do over again I would go for Ultegra.

#9 ·
Thanks for the insight. I'm not reading on the net that guys are saying shifting into the smaller cogs while in the hood is a problem with some because they need to completely take their hand out of hood (move it back on the bar) in order for their thumb to hit the little shift tab?? Some guys saying they don't like this because it means they have to take their hands away from the brake lever.

I'd say I have small hands, hmmm have to think about this now.

Currently I'm using DA 7800 on my 2 bikes, and with a compact bar, I have no issue shifting from the hoods or drops, while hands are covering the brake levers at all times, which is important to me. I haven't tried the 7900 stuff yet, but I keep reading reviews saying that 7800 rear shifting is lighter than 7900, and if there is one area that Shimano has gone backward from 7800 to 7900 is the rear shifting? I wonder how much truth is this?

At any rate, I'm leaning toward the Ultegra 6700, this or find good used DA 7800 componennts.

#10 ·
Both front and rear shifting on the 7900 take more effort than 7800. The rear isn't a problem, just a harder click. But I have to concentrate and hold the front shifter for a second to make sure it shifts completely. I have big hands and I do like the transition from shifter to bar better on the 7900. I use Ritchey classic bars.

#12 ·
I am on Chorus 11 and love it - came off of SRAM Red....

Now - to be fair - I put Red on a 2006 Madone 5.2 frame - had constant FD shifting issues that were never resolved - some though the geometry of the frame and relationship to the BB created an arc that Red was unable to adjust to appropriately. Otherwise I thought it a pretty nifty kit for the $$$.

I do love my C11 tho - it has run flawlessly now for 8 months now -

#14 ·
My progression was from a Giant with 9sp 105 to a RitcheyBreakAway with 10sp double Centaur to 10sp triple Centaur/Chorus mix to my current 11sp compact Chorus double over the last 7+ years. My hands are maybe average to slightly smaller than average. It was a bit difficult for me to shift the 105 as it was hard to get the full travel of the lever. Effort was not the problem, but range of motion was. Both Campagnolo 10 and 11 speed systems were easier for me to use in this respect. No problem with the fit of the hoods. However, it feels like the thumb lever is either in a slightly different position or perhaps it is a function of a slightly different shape for the 11sp Chorus. Due to this I seem to get a bit of pressure on the left lever inadvertently. The result is a small movement of the chain; usually not enough for a shift but just enough to drag the chain. Other than that, I do like it better than the Centaur system I had.

By the way, as the ladder has been shuffled, Chorus is roughly equavalent to Ultegra. Record is roughly equivalent to Dura-Ace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.