for racing support: 10 spd vs. 9 spd
    steel road, fixie, & MTB

for racing support: 10 spd vs. 9 spd

for racing support: 10 spd vs. 9 spd are both types of wheels supported?
    shimano ultegra 9 spd cassettes are about 1/3 of the cost of a 10 spd campy chrous cassettes...dang! is campy 10 spd "worth it?" I can afford either, but then again i am thrifty minded
    Last edited by TrailNut; 06-16-2004 at 01:23 PM.
    Viner Pro Team Dedacciai EOM 16.5 light steel Campy 2x10.
    "The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." - Thucydides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

apples and oranges...

Comparing a Chorus 10 cassette to an Ultegra 9? You can get a Veloce 10 cassette for $66 and Centaur for $95. Ultegra 10 will be out later this year or early next year. With DuraAce 10 cassettes costing nearly twice the price of the 9 speed version, what do you think Ultegra 10 will cost?

I still don't get the big deal. A well maintained cassette will last most folks several years. The cost of tires and tubes is 2-3 times as much.

steel road, fixie, & MTB

oh, got it, C-40

oh that's reasonable...forgot about the veloces and the mirages (as many web vendors don't list 'em)
    anyways i'm still going with campy 10s
    Viner Pro Team Dedacciai EOM 16.5 light steel Campy 2x10.
    "The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." - Thucydides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

good idea..

With Campy offering 10 speed groups at four price levels, there's a lot more to choose from. As for wheel compatibility, this is my fifth season using a 10 speed group, hopefully there is support at races by now.

From a cog spacing standpoint, campy's 4.12mm is right between Shimano's 4.32mm 9 speed spacing and their 3.95mm 10 speed spacing. In theory, you could get by with a wheel intended for any of them. The shifting won't be great with either shimano wheel, but you could certainly finish a race on either one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Are you that good?

Are you actually riding in races where there would be a follow car with neutral support wheels? There are not many races like this in the USA. For most crits, it's your wheels in the pit. And even many road races with a follow car, it's your (labeled) wheels in the car. And then the question of whether you are strong enough, or you have an organized team to tow you back to the group. I wouldn't think this issue should really be influencing your decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

good point...

I'm not a racer, but the last crit I attended, with Scott Moniger the only pro to show up, everyone supplied their own back up wheels and their wasn't a car to carry them. It was fun to watch Scott lap the field.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Are you actually riding in races where there would be a follow car with neutral support wheels? There are not many races like this in the USA. For most crits, it's your wheels in the pit. And even many road races with a follow car, it's your (labeled) wheels in the car. And then the question of whether you are strong enough, or you have an organized team to tow you back to the group. I wouldn't think this issue should really be influencing your decision.
    and if you are that good, the big races (such as Tour de Toona) support shimano 9 and campy 10. I have no idea what is going to happen with shimano 10.