Rattle can success stories? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What the what???

Rattle can success stories?

Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Have you ever done this before? Please post pictures, cause we want to see the result!
    Deleted...
    Last edited by Opus51569; 08-04-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Have you ever done this before? Please post pictures, cause we want to see the result!
    I have not done this.

But I'd definitely give it a try before going the Bondo route.

Worst case, it doesn't work, so you clean up the mess and use bondo.

Think: DIY fillet brazing, with solder!

RoadBikeReview Member
    DO NOT TAKE ANY TORCH TO YOUR BIKE FRAME! WAIDIOT!

Clean it up and put some epoxy in it, that will stick.
    While bondo is much easier, if one is competent with a brazing torch, a dent could be filled with brass or silver solder. Plenty of steel frames have been built with torch and brass over the years.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    While bondo is much easier, if one is competent with a brazing torch, a dent could be filled with brass or silver solder. Plenty of steel frames have been built with torch and brass over the years.
    Exactly. Thank you. A voice of reason. A lone bright spot in a dark, cold, lonely, uncaring Bondoverse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Sure they have, by qualified welders. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying to recommend some wild a** recommendation to someone who no one knows what their skill level is ridiculous.
    BANNED

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Sure they have, by qualified welders. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying to recommend some wild a** recommendation to someone who no one knows what their skill level is ridiculous.
    Solder can be shaped with a file and sandpaper. If you can shape bondo, you can shape solder. Trust me. I've done that to clean up sloppy solder jobs I've done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Exactly. Thank you. A voice of reason. A lone bright spot in a dark, cold, lonely, uncaring Bondoverse.
    Oh my.

I don't know if I should puff out my chest or question your sanity.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Donít forget that bondo weighs less. Those extra grams could cost you the Thursday Night Worlds!

RoadBikeReview Member
    First thing, welding isn't the same thing as brazing or soldering.

The other thing is that a torch is needed to do any type of brazing, and it's highly unlikely that someone who owns a torch capable of brazing doesn't have the skill to use it.

And the solder that SPIKE suggested doesn't need enough heat to do any damage to the frame. A Benzomatic propane torch makes plenty of heat to solder but not enough to hurt the steel tubes.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Oh my.

I don't know if I should puff out my chest or question your sanity.
    I little bit of both.

What the what???
    As the welding v. soldering v. brazing debate rages on...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I learned today that wet sanding is my new painting friend. While it certainly makes a mess it is well worth it as it managed to take care of a variety of painting sins. I started with 320 grit to knock down the obvious drips. Then 600, then 1500. I once again have a relatively smooth frame and fork possibly ready for some color.

I have narrowed down to either blue or purple... and I'm leaning toward the purple.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Opus51569; 08-05-2020 at 06:10 AM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    That is crap paint.
    Never use a paint and primer in one. If you are down to raw metal, you want to use a good etching primer, then drop color on top of that, then clear coat. I highly recommend automotive paint I recommend https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ (they are reasonably priced, I have no affiliation with them other than as a customer in the past). Another option is powder coating, Eastwood has a diy cheap powder coating unit (I think like $100).. although you need a way to bake it (heat lamps apparently work according to some youtube videos I have seen), but thats an extra cost too..

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    As the welding v. soldering v. brazing debate rages on...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I learned today that wet sanding is my new painting friend. While it certainly makes a mess it is well worth it as it managed to take care of a variety of painting sins. I started with 320 grit to knock down the obvious drips. Then 600, then 1500. I once again have a relatively smooth frame and fork possibly ready for some color.

I have narrowed down to either blue or purple... and I'm leaning toward the purple.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I'm not a fan of rustoleum either.

Even under best application conditions, it takes much longer to dry and cure than is reasonable. Like, weeks or months until it fully cures to a hard, tough surface.

What the what???
    Sure itís crap paint. Itís $8 a can.

The point of this was to see if I could get a decent result without shelling out the $200+ it would cost me to get it powder coated.

As for curing time, thatís not a problem. It can sit for a month or more before Iíll be ready to start building anything up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Sure itís crap paint. Itís $8 a can.

The point of this was to see if I could get a decent result without shelling out the $200+ it would cost me to get it powder coated.

As for curing time, thatís not a problem. It can sit for a month or more before Iíll be ready to start building anything up.

Not suggesting spending $200... a can from the link I provided above is $20. 1 can is more than enough for a bike.. can of primer is $10, and the clear is $20, but you can get generic clear if you want to from Autozone or wherever.... $30 to $50, and you will have a paint job that will last.. and be used in about a day (although fully cured can be up to a month, but that is common for most paints) I use General Finishes milk paint, and 2k Enduro conversion varnish (clear coat) on furniture. It can be used about 2 hours after painting, but light use. They full cure on the Enduro is 7 days, 21 days on the milk paint, but you can coat the milk paint after 2 hours with the varnish, so that cuts down on 2 weeks before you can fully use the item.

If you live in the MD area, you are more than welcome to use my sprayer

gazing from the shadows
    Let me just chip in late.

Yes, you can do a good job with a rattle can. It is NOT an easy paint job to do well, lots of nooks and crannies. But tie it up so it can rotate, lots of thin coats.

Prep is key to all painting.

Consider curing. While you COULD put it in a big oven if you have access, you can speed curing by making a black tent out of plastic in the sun. If you want to get really fancy, one with a clear window to let the sun in. It will get hot enough to speed things along between coats and harden it a bit faster when done. Or you can point a directional space heater into a box to heat that up (we have a parabolic one that would be perfect, even just pointed at the frame without a box).

BTW, I did cure my fork in the oven, not the frame. And the fork is still pretty good looking compared to the frame. Doing this I got a good job that is durable enough for a commute bike. There will be chips, but if they happen you have the paint to do touch ups fast. Spray the can on something and paint on.

A paint place might be able to do an oven cure for you for a few bucks. Depending. Asking costs nothing. But you might ask if they can do it for a specific type of paint, since they require different temps.

If you have them paint it, MASK IT YOURSELF! Otherwise you might end up with paint on the dropouts, D hanger, etc. Might. And ask if they have experience on complex parts, otherwise your BB might have some thin spots. As for extra paint at a body shop, that is a good idea. A "common" color will be available frequently, so if they take some time they might be able to lay a few coats.

If you do ALL the prep yourself, body shops will be happy to make a few bucks off you instead of wasting a few tablespoons of paint. It is literally a 5 minute job to lay the paint for a pro.

I think DIY is usually fine, and definitely a learning experience. And if nothing else, it will make you appreciate just how much work $200 can buy. Have fun!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Let me just chip in....
    ...on a paint thread!
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 6.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of September 6th), eight months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

What the what???

Oh, weíre purple now...

Time to cure before wet sanding with 2000 and 3000 grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Opus51569; 08-21-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Noice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Nice job, the flames will need to be in 'HOT PINK' for sure, I like it.
    BANNED

What the what???

Thanks. While I wait for the paint to cure, I get to ponder questions of aesthetics. Do I look for components in a silver/chrome finish or black?

I think silver will provide some nice bling against the purple, but itís sometimes harder to find some components in silver finish these days. Black wonít be as eye catching but sourcing pieces might be easier.

I also get to ponder what kind of bike this wants to be... single speed runabout?... 1X adventure rig?... credit card tourer?...

Last edited by Opus51569; 08-23-2020 at 08:58 PM.

What the what???
    Did a little work on the dilapidated head badge. I hit it with some oven cleaner to take off what was left of the black paint. Then I buffed it with some 0000 steel wool.

Should look nice against the purple.

What the what???
    Decided to go with the single speed runabout for now.

Seems to be missing something, though...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Clipless pedals, of course.

PS: seat's too low

What the what???
    I love my bikes, but I've never felt the desire to become one with them...

Invisible seats are always level...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast