RDR cage wobble

Thread: RDR cage wobble

RoadBikeReview Member

RDR cage wobble

So I can rock my RDR cage quite a bit on my gravel bike, more so than my road bikes. Is there a bushing / pin I can replace to tighten that up? The allen screw is tight.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Too much information...no idea.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Too much information...no idea.
    there are 2 allen headed bolts that hold the cage sideplates together and the jockey wheels in place. The top one holds the cage to the DR mechanism. It's that point that it rocks back and forth, the DR isn't moving it's the cage where it attaches to the DR, moves sideways not front to rear. Does that help?
    Last edited by Srode; 07-31-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

No. What brand? Which model? And I'm nearly positive the upper pulley bolt doesn't hold the cage to the body no matter what derailleur it is.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    No. What brand? Which model? And I'm nearly positive the upper pulley bolt doesn't hold the cage to the body no matter what derailleur it is.
    Sorry, I thought I put that in the first post but obviously I didn't. Shimano RD-R8050 GS Cage.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

The upper pulley bolt doesn't hold the cage on. I've never seen one 'loosen up' because the bolt that does hold the cage on got loose...I have seen the pivot bushings in old derailleurs get sloppy.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    The upper pulley bolt doesn't hold the cage on. I've never seen one 'loosen up' because the bolt that does hold the cage on got loose...I have seen the pivot bushings in old derailleurs get sloppy.
    the dealer diagram shows there's a T10 bolt that holds the plate axle in the DR but not bushing that I can see. The plate axle comes with the cage plate I think. Is there a bushing in the DR body itself that isn't showing in the diagram? I can see about tightening the T10 but it's only supposed to be 1nm torque, looks like it's to retain the fixing pin not hold it from rocking to me from the way it's designed.
    Last edited by Srode; 08-01-2020 at 02:14 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    the dealer diagram shows there's a T10 bolt that holds the plate axle in the DR but not bushing that I can see. The plate axle comes with the cage plate I think. Is there a bushing in the DR body itself that isn't showing in the diagram? I can see about tightening the T10 but it's only supposed to be 1nm torque, looks like it's to retain the fixing pin not hold it from rocking to me from the way it's designed.
    I'm talking about the bushings in the body, there are 4 of them. Not serviceable. The plate axle is part of the inner plate. That T10 is just a retainer. If there is enough movement for it to be a problem I'd have a dealer try to warranty the derailleur.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm talking about the bushings in the body, there are 4 of them. Not serviceable. The plate axle is part of the inner plate. That T10 is just a retainer. If there is enough movement for it to be a problem I'd have a dealer try to warranty the derailleur.
    It's over 2 years old and I'm not the original owner so probably not something I can get warrantied. Probably best to just get a replacement, maybe a GRX RD-R815 since it has a bit wider range of cassettes (not per spec but based on user's feedback).
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    It's over 2 years old and I'm not the original owner so probably not something I can get warrantied. Probably best to just get a replacement, maybe a GRX RD-R815 since it has a bit wider range of cassettes (not per spec but based on user's feedback).
    Is the thing not shifting properly? If so, replace it. If not, you are probably overthinking this. As cx has said, there is nothing you can "tighten" that will reduce what you are seeing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Is the thing not shifting properly? If so, replace it. If not, you are probably overthinking this. As cx has said, there is nothing you can "tighten" that will reduce what you are seeing.
    yeah, it's not shifting well regardless of how I adjust it, and the chain doesn't have that many miles on it, like 2500. My other Di2 bikes shift crisply. I ordered a RD-RX815 this morning for it. When it get's here I'll put it on and take the 8050 apart and see what is worn out of curiosity.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    New DR fixed the shifting, nice and crisp now like my other bikes. I measured the chain vs a new one laid out on the floor next to a new one and zero stretch
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Good to hear that fixed it.

(chains don't stretch)
    #promechaniclife