Rear derailleur compatibility across 9,10 and 11 speeds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

This is a question that’s been on the back burner for a while now. Thought this would be the perfect time to lay it out here.
    1. Rear derailleur works by the pulley moving across the width of the cassette. The cable pull is regulated by the amount of cable pull within the shifter mechanism. What’s stopping me from using a older model 8 speed derailleur with a 11 speed shifter? Or a 9 speed? The cassette hub is a constant fixed width. The only variable is the spacer width and the cog thickness. Theoretically, setting the high and low limits should take care of that. Let’s have the yay’s and nay’s on why it should or shouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Been asked about a bazillion times. 100% Nay won't work. The pull ratios are different.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    8, 9, and 10 are the same cable pull ratio...except for 4700. It's 10 speed but the cable pull is the same as 6800/8000 and 9000/9100. You can use the 8 speed derailleur w/ any 8 or 9 speed shifter, and all 10 speed shifters except 4700 Tiagra. It won't work w/ ANY 11 speed shifter. You can use the 8 speed derailleur w/ any 8 or 9 speed mtb shifter as well, but no 10 speed (Dyna-Sys) shifter will work.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by arshak View Post
    This is a question that’s been on the back burner for a while now. Thought this would be the perfect time to lay it out here.
    1. Rear derailleur works by the pulley moving across the width of the cassette. The cable pull is regulated by the amount of cable pull within the shifter mechanism. What’s stopping me from using a older model 8 speed derailleur with a 11 speed shifter? Or a 9 speed? The cassette hub is a constant fixed width. The only variable is the spacer width and the cog thickness. Theoretically, setting the high and low limits should take care of that. Let’s have the yay’s and nay’s on why it should or shouldn’t work.
    As others have noted, as long as the cable pull is consistent then it will work. But when you say "older" derailleur, you might find that a newer 8s derailleur will work better than an older 8s derailleur just because there are improvements in derailleurs over time. Might not be an issue in your specific application.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So, how exactly are you going to get to 9,10, & 11 speed gears? ... when the shifters only go to ...8?
    I think you're going to be missing some gears!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    So, how exactly are you going to get to 9,10, & 11 speed gears? ... when the shifters only go to ...8?
    Reading comprehension issues or trolling? The OP said "8 speed derailleur with a 11 speed shifter"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, I got it backwards. I guess I got mixed up with another thread about/with a 11 spd hub/wheel.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    8, 9, and 10 are the same cable pull ratio...except for 4700. It's 10 speed but the cable pull is the same as 6800/8000 and 9000/9100. You can use the 8 speed derailleur w/ any 8 or 9 speed shifter, and all 10 speed shifters except 4700 Tiagra. It won't work w/ ANY 11 speed shifter. You can use the 8 speed derailleur w/ any 8 or 9 speed mtb shifter as well, but no 10 speed (Dyna-Sys) shifter will work.
    Exactly this. Shimano changed the cable pull ratio on 11-speed road and 10-speed mountain to pull more cable.

Unless this 8-speed rear derailleur is one you have lying around your bike parts pile, why would you want to buy an 8-speed one when 11-speed rear derailleurs are relatively cheap anyway?
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I think you misunderstood me. The shifters will be the change in the constant. If I use 11 speed shifters with 8 speed Dura Ace rear derailleur, the cable pull will be regulated by the shifters themselves. If the hub width remains a constant as well, wouldn’t the 8spd rear derailleur work just as well?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Exactly this. Shimano changed the cable pull ratio on 11-speed road and 10-speed mountain to pull more cable.

Unless this 8-speed rear derailleur is one you have lying around your bike parts pile, why would you want to buy an 8-speed one when 11-speed rear derailleurs are relatively cheap anyway?
    Lockdown blues and boredom. I have an old DA 8 speed derailleur in the spare parts bin. Will update if my theory holds or not as the case maybe.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I think you misunderstood me. The shifters will be the change in the constant. If I use 11 speed shifters with 8 speed Dura Ace rear derailleur, the cable pull will be regulated by the shifters themselves. If the hub width remains a constant as well, wouldn’t the 8spd rear derailleur work just as well?
    No, an 11 speed road shifter has a different pull ratio than an 8, 9 or 10 speed. Any 8, 9 or 10 speed road shifter will work with any 8, 9 or 10 speed road rear derailleur (unless it's Tiagra 4700). However, the 11 speed road system pulls more cable per shift and therefore is not backwards compatible.

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do here. What do you have on your bike as far as shifters, rear derailleur and cassette and what is it you are trying to change?
    Last edited by Lombard; 08-12-2020 at 06:02 PM.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Nope. The cable pull is regulated by the shifter but not how much the derailleur moves. That's a combination of cable pull and derailleur geometry.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    No, an 11 speed road shifter has a different pull ratio than an 8, 9 or 10 speed. Any 8, 9 or 10 speed road shifter will work with any 8, 9 or 10 speed road rear derailleur (unless it's Tiagra 4700). However, the 11 speed road system pulls more cable per shift and therefore is not backwards compatible.

I'm still not sure what you are trying to do here. What do you have on your bike as far as shifters, rear derailleur and cassette and what is it you are trying to change?
    Like I said, lockdown boredom and the fact that I have an old 8 speed kicking around. Believe it or not I have managed to get a 10 speed Rival derailleur work with a 9 speed cassette with help from 9 speed Campy Daytona. I will keep you updated on this thread as to where the boredom driven rabbit hole leads me. ‘Tis curiouser & curiouser said the bunny wabbit

Banned Sock Puppet
    Like I said, lockdown boredom and the fact that I have an old 8 speed kicking around. Believe it or not I have managed to get a 10 speed Rival derailleur work with a 9 speed cassette with help from 9 speed Campy Daytona. I will keep you updated on this thread as to where the boredom driven rabbit hole leads me. ‘Tis curiouser & curiouser said the bunny wabbit.
    Haha! OK. Not sure about SRAM compatibilities. I'd have to look that up. CXWrench would know for sure. But hey, if you're bored, try 'em all, LOL!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If that's true then theoretically an 8 speed der will over shift because it was designed to move further with less cable being pulled.

Try it to find out. "more" cable being pulled doesn't necessarily mean it's not still be 'close enough', It won't be perfect but wouldn't shock me if it worked acceptably.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Nope. The cable pull is regulated by the shifter but not how much the derailleur moves. That's a combination of cable pull and derailleur geometry.
    Yep. Metaphorically, the derailleur is the big dumb boyfriend doing all the heavy lifting while the shifter is the cute girlfriend calling the shots and telling him where she wants the furniture placed.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    If that's true then theoretically an 8 speed der will over shift because it was designed to move further with less cable being pulled.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Yep. Metaphorically, the derailleur is the big dumb boyfriend doing all the heavy lifting while the shifter is the cute girlfriend calling the shots and telling him where she wants the furniture placed.
    Hahah! Good analogy!

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Kind of the opposite in this situation. Instructions on placing the furniture are a given.
    The cable pull from the shifters is what it is no matter what. Different ders make different decisions on placing the furniture with the same instructions.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Kind of the opposite in this situation. Instructions on placing the furniture are a given.
    The cable pull from the shifters is what it is no matter what. Different ders make different decisions on placing the furniture with the same instructions.
    I think we're on the same page: The "instructions" are coming from the shifter-dictated cable pull/girlfriend, and the actual shifts of chain are being performed by the derailleur/boyfriend, yes?

[Of course, IRL, the actual girlfriend is continually updating those instructions as to where the furniture is to be placed, sometimes in boyfriend's mid-lift, so the metaphor isn't perfect. ]
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Haha! OK. Not sure about SRAM compatibilities. I'd have to look that up. CXWrench would know for sure. But hey, if you're bored, try 'em all, LOL!
    Update: I am going over the deep end because of lockdown related nuttiness. I have decided to mess around with my 29er first. Now, I know there are going to be a lot of indignation that I am introducing a (gasp) mtb onto a road bike forum but hear me out. This is a investigatory phase 1.
    I am going to replace my well designed and tested Shimano XT/XTR components with Chinese components from Sensah.
    Currently, I have 2x setup. I am jumping to 1x and 11 speed. Got the cassette, chain and brake set. Waiting on the shifters. Will update after install and provide feedback. Besides,it can’t be any worse than SRAM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Update: I am going over the deep end because of lockdown related nuttiness. I have decided to mess around with my 29er first. Now, I know there are going to be a lot of indignation that I am introducing a (gasp) mtb onto a road bike forum but hear me out. This is a investigatory phase 1.
    I am going to replace my well designed and tested Shimano XT/XTR components with Chinese components from Sensah.
    Currently, I have 2x setup. I am jumping to 1x and 11 speed. Got the cassette, chain and brake set. Waiting on the shifters. Will update after install and provide feedback. Besides,it can’t be any worse than SRAM.
    What is so bad about SRAM? Their mountain components are excellent and their road components have drastically improved since they started with road stuff.

Man, if you are really that bored, why don't you just ride your bike more as in until you are so tired you're not thinking about beimg bored anymore? It's much cheaper.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

You don't have a clue about SRAM for one thing...and you need to just go ride your bike for another. But since you're going to do it anyway I am interested to see how the Chinese stuff works. And further down the road how it holds up.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    What is so bad about SRAM? Their mountain components are excellent and their road components have drastically improved since they started with road stuff.

Man, if you are really that bored, why don't you just ride your bike more as in until you are so tired you're not thinking about beimg bored anymore? It's much cheaper.
    You are right as to riding my bike which I am doing at dawn for a couple of hours. The bikes components upgrade or downgrade as the case maybe just to satisfy my itch to tinker with my bike(s). I am curious as to how the Chinese stuff works. As to SRAM, I don’t like the way they work or sound when you shift. Almost like something broke.

Banned forever.....or not
    Doesn't an 7 & 8 speed Dura Ace rear derailleur have a different geometry than everything else, that is 8,9, or 10?????

"1997 was a very big year for Dura-Ace. The system went to 9 speeds, and that was the most publicized change. In addition, however, the entire Dura-Ace system was redesigned and made to be inter-compatible with other Shimano components."

"The major difference between pre-1997 Dura-Ace and the rest of the Shimano lines is the cable travel of the rear derailer. Old Dura-Ace used a shorter amount of cable travel per shift. This has to do with the geometry of the cable attachment. Since the cable moved a shorter distance per shift, effects of cable friction or inaccurate cable adjustment were magnified.

With the introduction of the 6-speed 600EX S.I.S. group, the cable attachment on the rear derailer changed, so that the cable had to move farther per shift. This change reduced cable tension, reduced the effects of cable misadjustment and friction, and generally made for a more forgiving system. The same geometry was adapted for 9-speed Dura-Ace when it was introduced in 1997. All subsequent S.I.S. groups match the travel of the 600EX, except the 10-speed "Shadow" XTR derailers and shifters, which have an even longer cable travel.."
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Banned Sock Puppet
    You are right as to riding my bike which I am doing at dawn for a couple of hours. The bikes components upgrade or downgrade as the case maybe just to satisfy my itch to tinker with my bike(s). I am curious as to how the Chinese stuff works. As to SRAM, I don’t like the way they work or sound when you shift. Almost like something broke.
    Didn't curiosity kill the cat?

Interesting your take on SRAM. It does have a more defined click compared to Shimano's what has been described as an SBD fart smooth transition.

I'd be leery about how the Chinese drivetrain holds up, but hey, unlike a bike frame which can fail catastrophically, if it fails, the worst that would happen is that you may one day be limping home on a 2-speed. Depending on the number and grade of the hills on that 2-speed ride, I doubt you will be bored.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast